Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If someone in the US used the generic term "ton," I too would expect they meant 2000 pounds.
There is no other term but ton used in the US, short ton is not specified because again it's the standard. The only place those terms would be specified is very large industry mostly with overseas contracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why should "joe blow" need a sign to tell him that measurements are an approximant.....is our society that sue crazy that everyone needs a sign, to alleviate liability
Why should Joe Blow expect the product description to be approximate? If I buy a dining table that's advertised as 36'' by 60'', then I expect it to be 36 inches wide and 60 inches long - not 35 inches wide and 58 inches long. If a roll of carpet is marked 7 feet by 9 feet, I would expect it to be 7 feet wide and 9 feet long. If that's approximate and every one is different give or take a few inches in either dimension, then the words "Measurements Are Approximate" should be on the label.

And I'm curious, you said that 7X9 is approximate, but you also they they are in fact a few inches shorter. Is the width always 7 feet and consistent? Are the rolls ever a few inches longer than 9 feet? If they are in fact always a few inches short, then below the 7X9 sign it should say "Actual Length 118 Inches".

Quote:
we need to reign in these crazy suits and the ambulance chasers that enable them
California sued, not "ambulance chasers."

Last edited by hammertime33; 11-30-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 12:02 PM

779 posts, read 632,471 times
Quote:
why should "joe blow" need a sign to tell him that measurements are an approximant.....is our society that sue crazy that everyone needs a sign, to alleviate liability

we need to reign in these crazy suits and the ambulance chasers that enable them
What is the point if not to accurately describe the product? You need a sign so that people know what they're paying for.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:04 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:

And as I have been saying, the ones throwing a fit about being lied to are the same ones who admittedly have never had desire or reason to purchase lumber.

Since lumber has been sold this way for nearly a century those that brought the lawsuit to protect the public were remiss for decades in their delay.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:10 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Why should Joe Blow expect the product description to be approximate? If I buy a dining table that's advertised as 36'' by 60'', then I expect it to be 36 inches wide and 60 inched long - not 35 inches wide and 58 inches long.
even dining tables

it may be labels 3x5...that doesn't mean 36x60...it means approximate

on the other hand (usually) if something is labeled as 36" x 60" it is close to that....maybe 35.5x59

I had to explain this to my wife years ago....

its like when your grandfather/grandmother cooks... a handful of this, a splash of that...yet his hand is way bigger than mine

there is no reason for the government or a private lawyer to sue over this...it really is just stupid

do you sue the EPA if your chevy doesn't get the advertise MPG every time you go out???

everything is approximates ...we use terms... a 7x9 carpet is APPROXIMATLY 7x9...could be a few inches off...either way...it may measure out to 82 (two inches short) but also be 110 (two inches long)...still APPROX 7x9

Old 11-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
but ITS KNOWN that all measurements are approximants

we need to stop being sue crazy
Sure, any measurement is "approximate." If I buy a pound package of rice, I understand that if I get an accurate scale it could be 1.02 pounds (16.3 ounces) or 0.98 pounds (15.7 ounces). If I buy a dining room table advertised as 60'', it understand that it might be 1/8th of an inch longer or shorter than 60''.

But I would think anyone would be upset if their pound of rice were really 12 ounces or their 60'' dining room table was only 56'' long.

If you're selling a piece of wood you know to be approximately 3.5'' wide, then in your retail shop you should indicate that it's 3.5'' wide, especially if you're calling the product a "2 in. by 4 in."

Old 11-30-2014, 12:19 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Quote:
even dining tables

on the other hand (usually) if something is labeled as 36" x 60" it is close to that....maybe 35.5x59

its like when your grandfather/grandmother cooks... a handful of this, a splash of that...yet his hand is way bigger than mine

there is no reason for the government or a private lawyer to sue over this...it really is just stupid

do you sue the EPA if your chevy doesn't get the advertise MPG every time you go out???

everything is approximates ...we use terms... a 7x9 carpet is APPROXIMATLY 7x9...could be a few inches off...either way...it may measure out to 82 (two inches short) but also be 110 (two inches long)...still APPROX 7x9
Exactly, like when I go to the store and it says 1 gallon of milk it may mean more or less one gallon and that all food labels and any other measure we rely on are just approximations. If a label says 100 calories it may 15 calories or 200 calories. Who cares! So in other words nothing is to be believed so why bother.

As many posters would have it consumer information is for wimps!

Old 11-30-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
even dining tables

That would have to be quite the inept manufacturer. I've measured every piece of furniture I've ever bought. I've never had a measurement more than 1/8th of an inch off what was advertised.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:23 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Exactly, like when I go to the store and it says 1 gallon of milk it may mean more or less one gallon and that all food labels and any other measure we rely on are just approximations. If a label says 100 calories it may 15 calories or 200 calories. Who cares! So in other words nothing is to be believed so why bother.

As many posters would have it consumer information is for wimps!
oh please...

1 the label on foods does say "approx." 100 calories...and depending on the item it may be 98 or 102

quit exaggerating...you make your self look like a fool

Old 11-30-2014, 12:38 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
If I go to a store and buy a product - any product - and it's labeled or advertised as being 4 inches in width or length or height, but it's in fact 3.5 inches in that dimension - and there is nothing anywhere indicating it's actually 3.5 inches - then I've been lied to. Period.

Even if I measure it at home after purchasing it the first time and then go back to buy it for a second time, I'm still being lied to. I just now know that I'm being lied to.
I was lied to too........

In 2000 I bought a Mazda truck but is made by Ford and if you set them side by side with hoods open you can't tell the difference by looking at the body or motor.... The only difference you can really see is my truck says Mazda on it and the Model on the side....

When I first bought it and would have the oil changed at the oil change place they would write it up as a Ford..I had to have them correct the paper work so I could keep my warranty good..

Now the real question is can I still sue Ford and Mazda?

Left out can I also sue the Chevy dealer where I bought it?

Last edited by Houston3; 11-30-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies