Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,395,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please...

1 the label on foods does say "approx." 100 calories...and depending on the item it may be 98 or 102

quit exaggerating...you make your self look like a fool
Isn't that what he California law states? It merely makes clear it is approximate sizes and to disclose the true dimensions to the consumer. As you correctly point out no differnt than food labels. Of course we can't all be like you and other posters who are so knowledgable that this information is unnecessary. But for those not so blessed with such knowledge, this information may be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:48 PM

779 posts, read 631,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I was lied to too........

In 2000 I bought a Mazda truck but is made by Ford and if you set them side by side with hoods open you can't tell the difference by looking at the body or motor.... The only difference you can really see is my truck says Mazda on it and the Model on the side....

When I first bought it and would have the oil changed at the oil change place they would write it up as a Ford..I had to have them correct the paper work so I could keep my warranty good..

Now the real question is can I still sue Ford and Mazda?
What would be the basis of the suit, that you didn't know which company made your Mazda?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,092,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I was lied to too........

In 2000 I bought a Mazda truck but is made by Ford and if you set them side by side with hoods open you can't tell the difference by looking at the body or motor.... The only difference you can really see is my truck says Mazda on it and the Model on the side....

When I first bought it and would have the oil changed at the oil change place they would write it up as a Ford..I had to have them correct the paper work so I could keep my warranty good..

Now the real question is can I still sue Ford and Mazda?
What a weird analogy (and by weird, I mean awful). A brand is not a real thing. An inch is. Branding a thing "A" vs "B" doesn't misrepresent any actual physical aspect of the thing.

If I manufacture and sell a 6'' knife I call "The Ripper" and I also sell it to another retailer who sells it under the name "The Slicer" no aspect of the knife has been misrepresented. But if I call my knife the "7 Inch Ripper" - and nowhere on the product or advertising do I state it's actually 6'', then you're being lied to.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,728,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
ABSOLUTELY right!
My grandfather made sure I knew how to use a tape measure and a try-square and a hand saw at 7 years old. At 10 years old, I was measuring and cutting lumber, and driving nails, helping my mother and step-father build a house. At 11, I was helping with the wiring and plumbing. At 14 I was cutting firewood with a Homelite 5/30 chainsaw with a 36 inch bar and chain.
MANY of us did not lead sheltered lives. We knew how much work went into a house, we knew where our meat came from (we helped kill it and cut it up), we knew how much work it was to grow vegetables, etc.

I feel sorry for those who don't know the difference between a Phillips head and Reed & Prince screw, or between a grade 5 or grade 2 hex-head bolt, or between a cross-cut and rip saw.
I'm a girl who grew up in the southern california suburbs in the 50s. My dad had a workbench and all kinds of hand tools in the garage.

My sisters and I ruined several small hand saws and bent many nails (and bashed a few thumbs). Can't remember when I first learned that a 2x4 wasn't.

It's true it was a stupid lawsuit. But then Lowe's was also pretty stupid for ignoring the law!

Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What a weird analogy (and by weird, I mean awful). A brand is not a real thing. An inch is. Branding a thing "A" vs "B" doesn't misrepresent any actual physical aspect of the thing.

If I manufacture and sell a 6'' knife I call "The Ripper" and I also sell it to another retailer who sells it under the name "The Slicer" no aspect of the knife has been misrepresented. But if I call my knife the "7 Inch Ripper" - and nowhere on the product or advertising do I state it's actually 6'', then you're being lied to.
but if the blade was actually 6.5" both descriptions would be in tolerances... one may say 7 the other 6...one uses a '''selling point'''' of rounding up...the other just says 6 because its easier than saying 6.5....especially if you are paying be the letter

Old 11-30-2014, 12:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
Quote:
why should "joe blow" need a sign to tell him that measurements are an approximant.....is our society that sue crazy that everyone needs a sign, to alleviate liability

we need to reign in these crazy suits and the ambulance chasers that enable them
Yes we are that sue crazy.
Every sign on a ladder represents a successful lawsuit against manufacturers of ladders. Who would ever guess that it is unsafe to stand on the top step?
1.6 million for something like this is insane.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,092,579 times
Quote:
but if the blade was actually 6.5" both descriptions would be in tolerances... one may say 7 the other 6...one uses a '''selling point'''' of rounding up...the other just says 6 because its easier than saying 6.5....especially if you are paying be the letter
Within tolerance? I would expect that if you went and measured 100,000 7'' knife blades - knives manufactured to be and disclosed to be 7'' - 0 wold be off by as much as half an inch.

If I go to a store and there's a knife described as having a 7 inch blade, I expect it to have a 7 inch blade - not a 6 or 6.5 inch blade.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Within tolerance? I would expect that if you went and measured 100,000 7'' knife blades - knives manufactured to be and disclosed to be 7'' - 0 wold be off by as much as half an inch.
guess there is no pleasing you....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_tolerance

you must be a lawyer

Old 11-30-2014, 01:04 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,231,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
What would be the basis of the suit, that you didn't know which company made your Mazda?
Because they are calling Ford a Mazda.... Mazda does not have its own dealers....I bought mine from a chevy dealer...Go to a Ford Dealer at the time and they they were selling the Ford that looked just like it.... I didn't find out until later that it was nothing more than a ford with the name Mazda on it...I did question the salesperson when I bought it why if didn't look more like my old Mazda truck and all I was told was that it is the new Mazda body style.....never a mention that is was nothing more than a Ford..

It was not the first Mazda truck that I have owned...

Last edited by Houston3; 11-30-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 01:05 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
LITIGATION NATION: Lowe’s pays $1.6M settlement over 2×4 labeling

Lowes was sued and they lost because they called a 2X4 a 2x4.
Wow-

Anybody who buys lumber knows that a 2X4 is not a 2X4 and a 2X6 is not a 2X6! It has been this way for YEARS and has been accepted by everyone who builds things.

This is liberalism and the trial lawyer's association at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies