Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
never said the criminal needs an excuse. i said that a bunch of emotional people aren't going to make a very sound decision.
As I understand it, you have never served on a jury. Being that you haven't, it might be difficult to understand how seriously jurors take their job.

And, in death penalty cases, the decision to impose the death penalty is not made based on being an "emotional person" - it is one of, if not the most, agonizing decisions a Juror can make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 06:04 PM

365 posts, read 696,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
still people who are not willing to send a person to death are excluded. if you don't want to send someone to be executed because you may feel guilty, then that says something.

this says that is people don't want others to be executed, then they don't get their say in the matter.
that is true, they arent suppose to get a say, just a vote on a case that they have heard presented to them through facts, they also ask you what kind of bumper stickers you have on your car too, or they did me, lol, I think they do this to weed out narrow minded thinkers if they can, Cleatis, it may not sound fair, but in the end, it is because once again, they want people to think impartial, and not use their personal value systems but the evidence to decide someones fate, the bottom line is they want to keep your feelings/emotions/beliefs/media and television views and personal issues OUT of the trial, tho it is evidenced many trials havent seemed that way, it is SUPPOSE to be that way according to the law in the states that impose the death sentence and of course other sentences as well.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,842,840 times
CNN - Illinois suspends death penalty - January 31, 2000 (http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/01/31/illinois.executions.02 - broken link)

Illinois stopped executions in 2000 when 13 men on death row were found innocent. Even though or former governor was pro-death penalty, he lacked confidence is the system, as did the majority of residents. Putting an innocent person to death is horrible. I'm glad we don't have the death penalty in our state any longer. Jailing innocent people is unacceptable. Killing them is horrific. If Illnois had 13 innocent people on death row, I would imagine other states do too. Moderator cut: links only, please

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-05-2008 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: fixed link/copyright edit

Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,763,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Not off hand...they don't have the benefit of a bestselling author publishing a book about all the mistakes that the justice system made with them. I'm not naive enough to think that makes them all guilty though.

Nationally since the death penalty was implemented 1 man has later been found innocent and let free for every 7 executed.
(That doesn't mean that all those executed were necessarily guilty, they were just killed before the evidence available could be presented to let them free.)

Now that they are starting to use DNA I expect the cases that will be overturned to go up somewhat substantially.
You used Texas, so that the only one I care for you to give me a name on....

Last edited by texanborn; 01-04-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 PM

365 posts, read 696,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post

CNN - Illinois suspends death penalty - January 31, 2000 (http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/01/31/illinois.executions.02 - broken link)

Illinois stopped executions in 2000 when 13 men on death row were found innocent. Even though or former governor was pro-death penalty, he lacked confidence is the system, as did the majority of residents. Putting an innocent person to death is horrible. I'm glad we don't have the death penalty in our state any longer. Jailing innocent people is unacceptable. Killing them is horrific. If Illnois had 13 innocent people on death row, I would imagine other states do too.
Moderator cut: copyrighted information

how is he going to "guarantee" his system works properly when 13 innocent people went to prison that long?...thats why he threw it out. too easy for it to happen again and make the Guv look bad, hes the one w/out any confidence.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-05-2008 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 01-13-2008, 07:48 PM

646 posts, read 1,783,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I don't really think a life sentence is much of a deterrent either. For a lot of people who wind up serving life sentences, life in prison has more luxury than the life they had outside! When you're a junkie needing a fix and living under a bridge, how can life get much worse? I don't think many people would argue that the best deterrent is education. I think we need to stop the war on drugs (at least the relatively minor drugs) and release drug use offenders and people who were hit up with intent to deliver because they had more weed than they could smoke in a day in their car and use the money we should save to help save our schools and try to educate kids to stay off drugs in the first place.
It may not be the biggest deterrent, but capital punishment doesn't appear to be more of a deterrent, so why pick capital punishment?
I agree with you about education though, not sure about that drug policy though.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,509,560 times
civilized society does not kill

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
civilized society does not kill
The United States is civilized.

And, in many States, the Death Penalty is legal and applied.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
This is entirelsy an emotional issue. There is no logical or rational evidence that capital punishment has any effect whatsoever, one way of the other, on the incidence of crime or the behavior of criminals, or anything else that affects the lives of the general population.

therefore, whatever arguments they choose to put forth, every person who is opposed to capital punishmentn is motivated by compassion, and every supporter of he death penalty is motivated by cruelty. Count me as compassionate.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-14-2008 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies