Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,362,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I my self would have no issue if everyone were required to surrender a dna sample. Imagine how many unsolved crimes would be solved. How many innocent men would be freed.
Honest people would have nothing to fear. The bad guys? well I am pretty sure they would find a lawyer to represent them. Lawyers have no issue protecting scum bags.
Personally I don’t think it is necessary for everyone to just submit a sample so it is on file somewhere if someone commits a crime. It will never come about and you’ll see liberals and conservatives fighting it together. However that said, I do believe felons convicted of a violent crime should have a sample taken.

Quote:
Lawyers have no issue protecting scum bags.
Hey, I was just thinking about Alberto Gonzales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:22 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,698,090 times
Quote:
The death penalty is a weak deterant for 1 reason. Its slow in being carried out due to an endless trail of appeals.
The death penalty serves 1 absolute purpose. It prevents the criminal from ever having the opprotunity to do it again.
In jails it is not uncommon for violent offenders to continue perpetrating their crimes on fellow inmates. Not that I care mind you. They chose a life of violence and have received their rewards.
I my self would have no issue if everyone were required to surrender a dna sample. Imagine how many unsolved crimes would be solved. How many innocent men would be freed.
Honest people would have nothing to fear. The bad guys? well I am pretty sure they would find a lawyer to represent them. Lawyers have no issue protecting scum bags.
It'd be quite interesting if they held your sample to use it against you at a later date, don't you think? I'll let you volunteer for that submission... I'll decline based upon my Constitutional rights.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,865,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
People talk about DNA evidence like it should mean the end of the death penalty. It actually means the opposite. Maybe a DNA review of everyone currently on death row, but if someone is convicted today, with the appropriate DNA evidence, it's lights out, buddy.
Unfortunately DNA evidence does not always exist. Trust me on this police are not always competant in taking DNA properly or even at all.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,865,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Only to a bleeding heart liberal...
I'm been called a lot of things. But never a bleeding heart liberal. In fact I couldn't be further from that. I don't this position that so-called pro-lifers should share automatically pigeon holes me as a liberal. In terms a conservative will understand: Would Jesus execute someone? No he sure wouldn't. Nuff said.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,151,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
It'd be quite interesting if they held your sample to use it against you at a later date, don't you think? I'll let you volunteer for that submission... I'll decline based upon my Constitutional rights.
I would give no reason for it to be used against me. I unlike a criminal don't commit violent crimes. Its pretty hard to incriminate myself of a crime when I don't commit them.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,506,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I am a strong supporter of the Death Penalty.

Some years ago, I was "invited" to be a witness at an execution. After witnessing an execution, I have not changed my mind
If it was a peaceful death by lethal injection, I don't see how death penalty supporters would get much satisfaction from it, particulary if the person being executed beated or tortured an innocent person to death.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,151,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If it was a peaceful death by lethal injection, I don't see how death penalty supporters would get much satisfaction from it, particulary if the person being executed beated or tortured an innocent person to death.
For this supporter of the death penalty its not about enjoyment or satisfaction. Its all about removing the criminal as a threat to anyone ever again. I would expand the death penalty to include convicted rapists and child molesters.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,775,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I don't know of any , do you ?
Not off hand...they don't have the benefit of a bestselling author publishing a book about all the mistakes that the justice system made with them. I'm not naive enough to think that makes them all guilty though.

Nationally since the death penalty was implemented 1 man has later been found innocent and let free for every 7 executed.
(That doesn't mean that all those executed were necessarily guilty, they were just killed before the evidence available could be presented to let them free.)

Now that they are starting to use DNA I expect the cases that will be overturned to go up somewhat substantially.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,316,996 times
I don't really support it for a few reasons.

1) no matter what, what is done is done, it can't be taken back
2) there I have a huge problem with innocent people being executed, the life of one innocent man is not worth the vengeance of 1000 guilty ones.
3) as said on here before, it is killing in its own. if the one on death row killed someone against their will, the why should any government have the right to do the same.
4) and this is what rand a bell for me. in an interview with a death row inmate the guy commented that: "I wanted a woman dead for a grand total of no more than 5 minutes. Her friends and family have wanted me dead for years."

it's just outrageous, all of it. it's little more than hollow, vengeful retribution fueled by a bunch of emotion. and as the anti-liberal crowd never fails to point out, emotion seldom lends to reason.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:56 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,698,090 times
Quote:
I would give no reason for it to be used against me. I unlike a criminal don't commit violent crimes. Its pretty hard to incriminate myself of a crime when I don't commit them.
I'm glad you have a good trust of your government... federal, state and local police forces. The power they would hold would be immeasurable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies