Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM

779 posts, read 632,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian.shay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Your community isn't doing crap to other people. Some loser dudes who don't know how to act are doing something. See I think this is where Uncle Tom is a relevant label. I'm not one to use that label but when people think that someone is calling someone an Uncle Tom because they disagree they may be right but it may also be that it is the correct time to use it. This seems like a good time, not because we disagree but because you, a black man, are willing to turn on an entire group that you actually belong to and allow them to be labeled as "other" because of the behavior of some of them as if you are a special snowflake and you are the only one capable of getting along with white people on a daily basis.

You've really never had a white person accuse you of acting white? That is interesting because I've gotten it plenty of times before only what they normally say is , "You aren't really black." "I mean you're not like black black" or "those blacks" or "what I think of when I think of black people". I am not a special little snowflake. My friend circle from way back in the day is filled with people who are just like me and even if they speak with a bit more slang and are less nasal than I am they are still as intelligent, if not more so, and doing the "right thing" in life.

I will agree that vilifying someone because they are white is terrible. I would vilify for someone for being a proven racist, an abuser of their power, incapable of correctly reading a situation and escalating it, etc.

I apologize for jumping the gun and using the my community term, I just am upset, I'll rephrase and just say the thugs ruin it for the good ones.
Then I take back my name calling. I shouldn't have done it anyway. It takes away from my ability to make a point. My apologies.

I get being upset, I get pissed off and sad when I read about tragedies in the news too. I just know that lumping folks together and justifying people getting treated like crap because someone that looks like them can't control themselves is not the way to go. Ya know?

Old 12-02-2014, 02:37 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Treat each other with respect and human decency. It is amazing the tangible or perceived barriers can be melt away with this sincere, simple and honest gesture.

My best friend is a white guy from Oklahoma city. He's incredibly good looking, kind, intelligent, giving, and caring. He was in poverty, he also grew up with divorced parents, abusive relationship, debts, and loads of troubles. But he worked hard and turned his life around. I will never be tired talking about white folks like him because he is an inspiration and a role model to a lot of people.

I don't know if there is white privilege, as a mixed girl (mixed Japanese, Hawaiian, and White) I have been treated pretty well in life. However, hanging out with my best friend makes me realize that people are drawn to friendly faces, nice smiles, charming personalities, and positive attitude. He is well loved by almost everybody from all races.

I read it somewhere that, Recognizing and addressing the reality of white privilege is not the same thing as embracing or indulging white guilt. Quite the opposite: It’s the pathway to liberation from white guilt. I think maybe the statement is true.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:41 PM

47 posts, read 37,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Then I take back my name calling. I shouldn't have done it anyway. It takes away from my ability to make a point. My apologies.

I get being upset, I get pissed off and sad when I read about tragedies in the news too. I just know that lumping folks together and justifying people getting treated like crap because someone that looks like them can't control themselves is not the way to go. Ya know?
I get it, and lumping one whole group wasn't the way to make my point, but as a human you know we sometimes exaggerate when making a point especially frustrated, but lesson learned

Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Treat each other with respect and human decency. It is amazing the tangible or perceived barriers can be melt away with this sincere, simple and honest gesture.

My best friend is a white guy from Oklahoma city. He's incredibly good looking, kind, intelligent, giving, and caring. He was in poverty, he also grew up with divorced parents, abusive relationship, debts, and loads of troubles. But he worked hard and turned his life around. I will never be tired talking about white folks like him because he is an inspiration and a role model to a lot of people.

I don't know if there is white privilege, as a mixed girl (mixed Japanese, Hawaiian, and White) I have been treated pretty well in life. However, hanging out with my best friend makes me realize that people are drawn to friendly faces, nice smiles, charming personalities, and positive attitude. He is well loved by almost everybody from all races.

I read it somewhere that, Recognizing and addressing the reality of white privilege is not the same thing as embracing or indulging white guilt. Quite the opposite: It’s the pathway to liberation from white guilt. I think maybe the statement is true.
Those who are privileged =wealthy .. who are white are the ones who have white guilt.. why? They think they are a higher class because of their wealth and have looked down at the black race as being lesser.

That is when the white do-gooders come in and want to help the black underprivileged as they look down their noses and pity the black people. Because of the white guilt they think their power is to be used to give the crumbs to the less fortunate through government means.

Those who feel equal to the black race have no white guilt. They see it as all being equal. Those who have never experienced privilege don't feel higher than blacks but esteem everyone as being the same. They feel if all people work hard they will achieve their goals.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Just tried of all these conservative race baiting threads...

Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
White people need to get over the criticisms. White people are at fault for the race-divide in this country. Blacks haven't changed. The only thing that has changed is the general perception whites have towards people of color. Once upon a time, whites thought people who were not white were subhuman.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:45 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Those who are privileged =wealthy .. who are white are the ones who have white guilt.. why? They think they are a higher class because of their wealth and have looked down at the black race as being lesser.

That is when the white do-gooders come in and want to help the black underprivileged as they look down their noses and pity the black people. Because of the white guilt they think their power is to be used to give the crumbs to the less fortunate through government means.

Those who feel equal to the black race have no white guilt. They see it as all being equal. Those who have never experienced privilege don't feel higher than blacks but esteem everyone as being the same. They feel if all people work hard they will achieve their goals.
I agree to a certain degree.

I simply don't see race the same way most people do because I view everybody as my equal.

i know several very wealthy white and Asian men, the common characteristic these men share is work ethic. nothing more, nothing less. I don't think they believe they have a privilege nor do they suffer from any type of guilt.

To me, it costs nothing to treat others with respect and decency. It costs nothing to learn from others. Sadly, some people just refuse to think outside the box, and that box is "race."

Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree to a certain degree.

I simply don't see race the same way most people do because I view everybody as my equal.

i know several very wealthy white and Asian men, the common characteristic these men share is work ethic. nothing more, nothing less. I don't think they believe they have a privilege nor do they suffer from any type of guilt.

To me, it costs nothing to treat others with respect and decency. It costs nothing to learn from others. Sadly, some people just refuse to think outside the box, and that box is "race."
When the underprivileged are given food or services the whites do not show white people as the recipients, they depict the people as black or hispanic.. and we all know there are many poor whites.. why do they do this?

They have white guilt and don't want to depict white people as being underprivileged.. it doesn't take away their white guilt privilege and they think it will demean the white race as being superior in their own minds..talking about patronizing with a superiority attitude toward other races. It is sickening.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racks View Post
White people: "We're tired of hearing about racism"

Ethnic Minorities: "We're tired of living it"
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
It's not "whites" who are under attack but the "unearned privilege" that whites enjoy to the detriment of everyone who isn't white. Until this society deals with its greatest shame, Slavery and its residual effects and inequality, this will always be a problem. This country needs to address this matter, and its obvious that Conservatives or the people who benefit from the status quo are unwilling to even talk about it in a rational way.

So get used to it. CHANGE is underway. Either become a part of the solution, or whine and be part of the problem.
And this.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
White people need to get over the criticisms. White people are at fault for the race-divide in this country. Blacks haven't changed. The only thing that has changed is the general perception whites have towards people of color. Once upon a time, whites thought people who were not white were subhuman.
"It's not our fault, it's the white man's fault"

When all else fails, pass the buck.

BTW, have you read on the other post who should really be scared of the changing demographics of America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies