Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Oh, let's see, President Obama, why do I like thee? Let me count the ways ...

1. Passed health care reform which now precludes insurance companies from discriminating against women with higher rates, refusing policies on the basis of pre-existing conditions, and dropping subscribers when they get sick
  2. Saved the American auto industry from collapse
  3. Passed Wall Street reform (even though more needs to be done)
  4. Eliminated Don't Ask Don't Tell
  5. Got rid of the unconstitutional Defense of Marriage Act
  6. Saved the country from the Republican Great Recession
  7. Has presided over the longest stretch of private-sector job creation - 56 straight months - adding 10.6 million jobs (Bush netted 3 million in eight full years)
  8. Ended the war in Iraq as promised
  9. Killed Osama bin Laden instead of ignoring him like Bush did
  10. Improved the U.S.'s image abroad
  11. Reversed Bush's torture policies
  12. Increased veterans support and created a new GI Bill with $78 billion in tuition assistance for our veterans
  13. Tightened sanctions on Iran and opened the door to talks for the first time in half a century
  14. Passed credit card disclosure reforms with the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act
  15. Created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
  16. Achieved a new START treaty
  17. Has invested heavily in renewable energy - the more than $800 million in interest already earned outpaces all failed loans combined, with an expected net income of $5 billion over their lifetime
  18. Expanded stem cell research which Bush cut
  19. Saved us $4 billion by eliminating the F-22, which has never flown a single combat mission
  20. Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
  21. Immediate and efficient responses to numerous natural disasters over the past six years (flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes)
  22. Got the Swiss banks to let the U.S. government have access to records of tax evaders and criminals
  23. Reduced federal student loan interest rates
  24. Established a new cyber security department
  25. Rescued hostages from Somali pirates
  26. Instituted tax cuts to 3.5 million small businesses
  27. Took GDP growth from -5.4 to +4.6% (2nd quarter 2014)
  28. Improved consumer confidence from 37.7 to 78.1%
  29. Presided over an economic recovery that has taken the Dow from 7,949 to 17,777 (the highest in history -- ever)
  30. Ended no-bid defense contracts
  31. Closed the Medicare Part D doughnut hole and significantly lowered the cost of prescription medications for our seniors
  32. Expanded health care to children through renewed SCHIP
  33. Has thwarted numerous attempted terrorist attacks here at home
  34. Stopped prisoners from collecting Social Security benefits
  35. Re-established statutory Pay As You Go policy
I could go on and on and on, but this is a good enough list, I think. Has he been perfect? No. He's human, as subject to err as any of us. Have I agreed with all his negotiated compromises? No. But I recognize the necessity of them, given the obstructionism of Republicans. Do I like all of his policies? No. But then that would only be possible if he were me, because I'm sure no one in the world agrees with 100 percent of everything I believe except me.

But we are so, so, so much better off as a country in so many myriad ways since he took office than we were when his predecessor left, it's almost beyond the ability to measure.
Best post of the year.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:52 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio1803 View Post

The article uses data from 2013, so it should be taken with a grain of salt considering several big events have happened this year alone.

Look at the Middle East, where Obama loves intervening more than Bush, at how unfavorable the ratings are from every country except Israel. Not sure why Obama's approval ratings are so high overseas, even in 2013, especially since he has essentially continued Bush's interventionist foreign policy, especially in the Middle East.
July 14, 2014

Global Opposition to U.S. Surveillance and Drones, but Limited Harm to America

"Despite these misgivings about signature American policies [drones, wiretapping], across 43 nations, a median of 65% express a positive opinion about the U.S. And these overall ratings for the U.S. are little changed from 2013.

"Moreover, President Obama is still largely popular internationally – across 44 nations, a median of 56% say they have confidence in him to do the right thing in world affairs. And, while Obama no longer has the same high levels of popularity that he enjoyed immediately after his election in 2008, there has been very little change in his appeal over the past year."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post

Best post of the year.
Thank you.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:18 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Good point! I think you have a certain pct of the population (15%) that would really fall into the "liberal" group. Most of his voters now do realize that he was just a new face, but a liar and a terrible leader. Unfortunately, Romney wasn't able to convince them of this in 2012. I think we are at a point where some in the media will turn on Obama and stop covering for him. The media hates to be on the wrong side of anything. This will end badly for Obama.
"Good point! I think you have a certain pct of the population (15%) that would really fall into the "liberal" group"
Obama is not really a 'Liberal'. He is a slightly left of center Chicago Democrat who was elected on being better than the previous guy and 'Hope and Change'. Unfortunately, we got neither.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 12-02-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 09:28 AM

398 posts, read 629,358 times
Quote:
July 14, 2014

Global Opposition to U.S. Surveillance and Drones, but Limited Harm to America

"Despite these misgivings about signature American policies [drones, wiretapping], across 43 nations, a median of 65% express a positive opinion about the U.S. And these overall ratings for the U.S. are little changed from 2013.

"Moreover, President Obama is still largely popular internationally – across 44 nations, a median of 56% say they have confidence in him to do the right thing in world affairs. And, while Obama no longer has the same high levels of popularity that he enjoyed immediately after his election in 2008, there has been very little change in his appeal over the past year."

Thank you.
anything in support of Obama is idiotic and the worst of anything for the century

Old 12-02-2014, 09:34 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blan View Post
anything in support of Obama is idiotic and the worst of anything for the century
Huh......is English your 2nd language?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:46 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
You forgot to add, "Because I said so! So there!" And if you want to be really effective, you could add, "Na-na-na-boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo!" for good measure. Everyone is impressed by a good na-na-na-boo-boo, come back, after all. Well, probably in the set you hang with, anyway.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
There was a fair amount of what Obama did on the post list that did benefit most of the people of this country. HARP 2 and 3 helped home owners, and the Auto bailout prevented us from losing 2 American car companies and 100,000s of American jobs. Half of the list would have passed under any president so it's moot.

It's not enough to over ride the bad in my opinion. Non accountability with respect to Eric Holder (American deaths because of F&F), Susan Rice (Benghazi happened because of a You Tube video), Lois Lerner to name a few. How Holder and Rice did not lose their jobs is beside me. The lies surrounding the AHCA and the wink and nod to Illegal Aliens over the last 2 year were other low points. Whats most worrisome is he is not done.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Oh, let's see, President Obama, why do I like thee? Let me count the ways ...

1. Passed health care reform which now precludes insurance companies from discriminating against women with higher rates, refusing policies on the basis of pre-existing conditions, and dropping subscribers when they get sick Raised the cost of healthcare and pushed people into part time jobs
  2. Saved the American auto industry from collapse It would not have collapsed. A normal bankruptcy would have worked just fine. He did nothing for Ford, which took care of its own problems. The US lost $11.2B on GM alone
  3. Passed Wall Street reform (even though more needs to be done)
  4. Eliminated Don't Ask Don't Tell I'm glad it is gone.
  5. Got rid of the unconstitutional Defense of Marriage Act The Supreme Court did this, not Obama. He merely decided to stop enforcing it. This would have happened naturally with changing public sentiment
  6. Saved the country from the Republican Great Recession He did?
  7. Has presided over the longest stretch of private-sector job creation - 56 straight months - adding 10.6 million jobs (Bush netted 3 million in eight full years)
  8. Ended the war in Iraq as promised And his ignorance of Iraq politics (Shiite vs. Suuni), Syria, and terrorism led to the rise of ISIS. How many people have died in Syria because the US refused to act?
  9. Killed Osama bin Laden instead of ignoring him like Bush did How did Bush ignore him? Obama happened to be President when intelligence found Bin Laden. Glad he said "yes" when they asked should we kill him. Any President would have done the same thing.
  10. Improved the U.S.'s image abroad Some like us more. Some not. But why is this so important?
  11. Reversed Bush's torture policies He did? Why is Abu Ghraib still operational?
  12. Increased veterans support and created a new GI Bill with $78 billion in tuition assistance for our veterans And Obama is still the President while the biggest scandal in the VA history is still not cleaned up. Our veterans are dying under VA treatment and Obama's VA head resigned.
  13. Tightened sanctions on Iran and opened the door to talks for the first time in half a century
  14. Passed credit card disclosure reforms with the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act
  15. Created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
  16. Achieved a new START treaty Hard to see how he gets credit for this
  17. Has invested heavily in renewable energy - the more than $800 million in interest already earned outpaces all failed loans combined, with an expected net income of $5 billion over their lifetime. We know he has wasted billions of federal aid with no proven benefits
  18. Expanded stem cell research which Bush cut
  19. Saved us $4 billion by eliminating the F-22, which has never flown a single combat mission Interesting you give Obama credit for this when support for the F22 was lost with the prior administration including Donald Rumsfield. Obama merely handled the conclusion
  20. Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
  21. Immediate and efficient responses to numerous natural disasters over the past six years (flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes) How did he handle Sandy? How does the President actually do this?
  22. Got the Swiss banks to let the U.S. government have access to records of tax evaders and criminals
  23. Reduced federal student loan interest rates Student debt is at record levels, no matter what the interest rate is. We have kids graduating from college with worthless degrees, working at Starbucks. The government shouldn't be acting as a bank.
  24. Established a new cyber security department He did this? What Obama has done is defend the government's intrusive snooping on all of us. Until Snowden we had no idea what the government was doing.
  25. Rescued hostages from Somali pirates Obama did this? Did he get on a boat? What President would not try to rescue American hostages? Has Obama stopped the beheading of Americans by ISIS?
  26. Instituted tax cuts to 3.5 million small businesses ?? ACA is raising the costs of small business.
  27. Took GDP growth from -5.4 to +4.6% (2nd quarter 2014) That's what happens in six years when your term starts in a recession. America is resilient. Obama's policies slowed our recovery.
  28. Improved consumer confidence from 37.7 to 78.1%
  29. Presided over an economic recovery that has taken the Dow from 7,949 to 17,777 (the highest in history -- ever)
  30. Ended no-bid defense contracts Defense contracts are just as screwed up as they always have been
  31. Closed the Medicare Part D doughnut hole and significantly lowered the cost of prescription medications for our seniors
  32. Expanded health care to children through renewed SCHIP
  33. Has thwarted numerous attempted terrorist attacks here at home He has? How? He hasn't protected our embassies.
  34. Stopped prisoners from collecting Social Security benefits
  35. Re-established statutory Pay As You Go policy
I could go on and on and on, but this is a good enough list, I think. Has he been perfect? No. He's human, as subject to err as any of us. Have I agreed with all his negotiated compromises? No. But I recognize the necessity of them, given the obstructionism of Republicans. Do I like all of his policies? No. But then that would only be possible if he were me, because I'm sure no one in the world agrees with 100 percent of everything I believe except me.

But we are so, so, so much better off as a country in so many myriad ways since he took office than we were when his predecessor left, it's almost beyond the ability to measure.
Pretty comical list.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
When you are drowning which is cased for many in 2008 ;you will grab anything that promises to keep you afloat. The there is those totally dependent now days that have to follow the money promises.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post

Half of the list would have passed under any president so it's moot.
Please be specific. Which accomplishments do you think any president (and by any president I assume you mean even a Republican president) would have either fought for, changed, or signed into law if passed by Congress?
Quote:

It's not enough to over ride the bad in my opinion. Non accountability with respect to Eric Holder (American deaths because of F&F) ...
Considering the Inspector General's investigation proved Holder had no knowledge of the gun-walking scheme, it would be rather foolish to hold him accountable for something he didn't do. Kind of like sending an innocent man to prison. And punishing him for tactics started under Bush's Justice Department in Operation Wide Receiver would be a bit misguided, no? I bet you never called for the firing of then-Attorney General Michael Mukasey for having allowed more than 300 guns to "walk" and doing nothing to stop the program.
Quote:

, Susan Rice (Benghazi happened because of a You Tube video) ...
Are you not aware that the latest Republican report on the events in Benghazi not only cleared anyone and everyone in the Administration of any wrongdoing, it also acknowledged Susan Rice did nothing to intentionally deceive the American public?
"A two-year investigation by the Republican-controlled House Intelligence Committee has found that the CIA and the military acted properly in responding to the 2012 attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, and asserted no wrongdoing by Obama administration appointees.

"Debunking a series of persistent allegations hinting at dark conspiracies, the investigation of the politically charged incident determined that there was no intelligence failure, no delay in sending a CIA rescue team, no missed opportunity for a military rescue, and no evidence the CIA was covertly shipping arms from Libya to Syria.

"In the immediate aftermath of the attack, intelligence about who carried it out and why was contradictory, the report found. That led Susan Rice, then U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, to inaccurately assert that the attack had evolved from a protest, when in fact there had been no protest. But it was intelligence analysts, not political appointees, who made the wrong call, the committee found. The report did not conclude that Rice or any other government official acted in bad faith or intentionally misled the American people."
Quote:

Lois Lerner to name a few.
Lois Lerner was not an appointee of the Obama administration, she was a federal employee, which made it impossible for the president to fire her. The most he could do was to ask for her resignation, which he did. She was also placed on administrative leave and ultimately did resign as asked. Considering all the allegations of "lawlessness" against President Obama, what legal remedies do you think he had that he didn't take advantage of?
Quote:

How Holder and Rice did not lose their jobs is beside me.
They didn't deserve to lose their jobs, as explained above. I hope it's not beside you any longer why this is the case.
Quote:

The lies surrounding the AHCA and the wink and nod to Illegal Aliens over the last 2 year were other low points. Whats most worrisome is he is not done.
AHCA? Do you mean the PPACA? Are you talking about "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"? You really must be kidding me about being bent out of shape about that one. Yellowcake, WMDs, aluminum tubes, Iraq involved in 9/11, outing a CIA agent to cover their asses, Medicare Part D costs hidden from Congress. The lies of the Bush Administration went so deep and were so egregious, they sent us into the longest war in our nation's history and cost hundreds of thousands of lives, including nearly 5,000 Americans, not to mention the tens of thousands of Americans maimed and/or mentally damaged for life. President Obama's "lie" will save, ultimately, hundreds of thousands of lives of people who will be able to get medical care that was previously denied to them by a system that was designed to exclude the sick and the poor.

Your threshold for anger over lies is clearly far different from mine. I'll take the one that saves lives over the numerous ones that actually killed people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies