Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
There is no correct answer to a hypothetical, but I'll use the Irish slave example from history - the Irish were cheaper slaves than African slaves, were treated worse, and suffered all manner of oppression in the same Colonies that African slaves did. 50 years after the Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment, Chinese were still indentured servants in much of the US. Both groups seem to have done just fine coming from such oppressive circumstances.

So truth be told, given that whites were enslaving whites long before they got around to enslaving blacks, I'd say if the roles were reversed per your example (as they were with Irish slaves of the English), whites would be more successful per capita.

Now, if we are saying if we reversed the roles of racial grievance and collective complaining trumping individual effort as well, then yeah, whites would likely be in a similar place, since collective complaint and groupthink is one of black America's historical problems, at least more statistically general than other races that is.
Agreed tho 1 BIG reason enslaving us "Irish" was stopped real fast in what's now the US is because we looked just like "our masters" and many of us could sneak away and never be caught. Black people; OTOH, they DO look different than us, at least the true dark skin dudes and ladies. So they were "easier" to keep under control. Although when getting into the mixed race light skin "Blacks"; they as a group had a better time of it, especially the pasty skin people who could pass for "white" because they were that for all practical intents and purposes.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I know it was different and I believe I said as much. The Paddy Wagon reference was an indication that the Irish had their own problems with the police.

And for good reason- the Irish were once justifiably known for crime. We changed, so can you. (That's me being smart arse).

"Profiling" is a rather nebulous concept that means everything and nothing at all. Suffice it to say if crime stats and data were not what they are, we would never hear about it.
Agreed and word was "free people of color" were preferred over us "Irish" 200 years ago in many at least Northern cities. That's how bad our rep was. I found that jaw dropper in 1 of Thomas Sowell's books about race and ethnicity. Mr Sowell's a Black dude at that.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Furthermore, yes I do agree that there is still A prejudicial element against African Americans, MUCH more so than other races (I see it all the time on this forum here).
Really? Have you seen this forum? //www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/
The prejudice against African-Americans today is nowhere close to the prejudice against Hispanics today.
(Cue arguments of: "But Hispanics are not a race, so it does not matter that they are discriminated against more than African-Americans." or "But Hispanics are law breakers." or "That's just illegals. I can tell the difference between a legal and an illegal.")

Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Honestly, I may very well be wrong about you, but I will bet a good amount of money that you are projecting your fears and your reality....

They way I see it when black and brown become the majority....the people who have the most to lose are whites who have enjoyed majority rule since forever in this place. I see many Mexicans flying the Mexican flag in America.....I think Gringos got the most to lose in this thing.
Uh; probably never that "Black and brown" will become the majority tho going by how they play in LatAm; the lighter skin people of ANY "race" will more likely be on top and the darker skin dude and ladies will be doing the grunt work. Too; the American Black birthrate is at replacement level or less in 2014 so they're fading out as a big minority.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:39 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Really? Have you seen this forum? //www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/
The prejudice against African-Americans today is nowhere close to the prejudice against Hispanics today.
(Cue arguments of: "But Hispanics are not a race, so it does not matter that they are discriminated against more than African-Americans.")
I do not want to play that game, but it seems to me that whites prefer hiring Hispanics way more than they do blacks. Maybe because where they come from makes them more easily exploitable sources of labor.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I do not want to play that game, but it seems to me that whites prefer hiring Hispanics way more than they do blacks. Maybe because where they come from makes them more easily exploitable sources of labor.
Agreed tho you're probably talking about illegal alien Hispanic people. US citizen ones CAN'T be messed over like that.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:45 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed tho you're probably talking about illegal alien Hispanic people. US citizen ones CAN'T be messed over like that.
Yes and no. The illegals can be exploited but just listening to people talk Hispanics have a reputation of being hard workers while blacks are seen as lazy and confrontational by many. Hence, with those perceptions and stereotypes Hispanics are favored over blacks for employment as a general rule.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
(Cue arguments of: "But Hispanics are not a race, so it does not matter that they are discriminated against more than African-Americans." or "But Hispanics are law breakers." or "That's just illegals. I can tell the difference between a legal and an illegal.")
US citizen Hispanics CAN hide behind other "races" going by their looks if things really hit the fan because they're of ALL races. IMHO more and more will do just that as time goes on. Too; I've accidently pegged many anglo white and and some Black people as "Hispanic".

Old 12-02-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Yes and no. The illegals can be exploited but just listening to people talk Hispanics have a reputation of being hard workers while blacks are seen as lazy and confrontational by many. Hence, with those perceptions and stereotypes Hispanics are favored over blacks for employment as a general rule.
Depends on the Hispanic person: 1 speaking Spanish you're probably right. A Hispanic speaking just English faces different stereotypes both good and bad IF they look Latino.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
That is not germane to the point.....the bottom line is that gays have often sighted the precedents set from the black struggle to make their claims.....rightly or wrongly (not my call).
There have been comparisons made to black struggles, primarily because oppressors rationalize their bigotry by insisting that sexual orientation is not an immutable part of ones being. The fact is, sexual orientation is just as ingrained as ones race, or being left handed. Unlike blacks, gays have had it more difficult because blacks had numerous allies assisting them with their struggles. But, unlike blacks they don't resort to committing crimes on a large scale in spite of so many gays living below the poverty line, limited by a glass ceiling, unless they are lucky enough, and willing enough to pass for straight, and live invisible to get ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies