Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:06 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Since the courts ruled them legal, you are merely offering your personal opinion on the matter. The fact that he was actually hit by a drunk driver proved they are worth doing.
And if mandatory rectal exams saved one life,you'd advocate for those as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If a drunk driver had killed someone you care for, you'd probably be ok with laws which make drunk driving illegal. It is a matter of public safety.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:19 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
If a drunk driver had killed someone you care for, you'd probably be ok with laws which make drunk driving illegal. It is a matter of public safety.
No,I would want them held accountable for killing a person I care for.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:27 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Revenge won't bring your kids back from the dead. I am glad there are laws to keep drunks from putting the lives of other people at risk. Doing nothing would be negligent and irresponsible from the law makers / law enforcement part.

Negligence = failing to take proper care in doing something. Careless, inattentive, neglectful, willfully blind. Criminal negligence is a 'misfeasance or 'nonfeasance', where the fault lies in the failure to foresee and so allow otherwise avoidable dangers to manifest. In some cases this failure can rise to the level of willful blindness where the individual intentionally avoids adverting to the reality of a situation. Criminal negligence becomes "gross" when the failure to foresee involves a "wanton disregard for human life".

Usually the punishment for criminal negligence, criminal recklessness, criminal endangerment, willful blindness and other related crimes is imprisonment, unless the criminal is insane.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-03-2014 at 06:38 AM..

Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Since the courts ruled them legal, you are merely offering your personal opinion on the matter. The fact that he was actually hit by a drunk driver proved they are worth doing.
Actually, DWI checkpoints have been ruled unconstitutional unless the legislature were to adopt strict limits, which it has not.

This was likely a traffic stop where someone was being checked for intoxication, but it wasn't a random checkpoint. So this guy was likely protesting a traffic stop.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:00 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Which says more about you than it ever could say about him..
Indeed; bad things happening to innocent people justifies attacking* them! There's some foolproof "reasoning" . If this guy being hit by a drunk driver, who wasn't even caught while the police were too busy molesting the innocent, proves that they are worth doing, what about the millions of victims that were not hit by a drunk driver? What do they prove? Using the same standard, don't they prove that they're not worth doing? Noticing the former but ignoring the latter speaks volumes about how you regard your fellow man - frankly, as bipedal animals to be used and disposed of as your proxies in the state see fit rather than full-fledged persons and beings like and equal to yourselves and your proxies in the state. What I find really amusing is how many of these same people harp on empathy, when they should be searching their own souls.

*And yes, it is an attack. If I blocked the road and forced you to pull over I would already be guilty of blocking traffic and false arrest, and if I forced you to blow into a breathalyzer (or, heaven forbid, take your blood) I would be guilty of assaulting and/or threatening you. I don't see why the rules or law should change in that situation just because I had a badge or did law enforcement full-time. State-sponsored crime is still crime, otherwise there is no law.

Quote:
The courts also ruled slavery legal everywhere in the country in Dred Scott vs. Sanford, and since the law is what the courts say it is that word is final. Slavery is the law of the land and no longer open for debate; abolition activists are merely offering their personal opinions and have no legal ground to stand on. And forgive me if I laugh when northerners' nullification is mentioned; abolitionists are so ignorant of the law they think "state's rights" trump national rights . These people are so ignorant and selfish they are actually organizing militias; they have a history of violence and are a danger to everyone, so I hope the federal government is watching them closely. The Fugitive Slave Act is for everyone's safety, and it is our legal and moral duty as citizens to help their owners bring the wayward slaves back where they belong; I even saw a report where one of these abolitionists' wife was raped by a male slave they were trying to "rescue". The fact that his wife was raped by a fugitive slave proves the Fugitive Slave Act is worth doing.

Seriously, I can easily picture that coming out of the mouths of these same people that advocate for the current police state if they around in the 1850's. It would be unfair to presume any of them would support slavery, but I would say the same reasoning and the same kind of minds are at work in both cases.

Quote:
Abolishing this police state will save a lot more than one life, and it's funny we never hear from them about that possibility. Indeed, abolishing the state entirely would save at least one life, but you'll notice they always call for less freedom, never more freedom. That speaks volumes about their true ideology*. I would also caution against exaggerating state terror activities to illustrate our points - after all, five years ago we asked "to you indefinite detention supporters, what if the state claimed the power to kill you?" and in short order the state-sponsored "anti-terrorist" murder machine started to form. Not that I think the two are related, but any exaggeration is frighteningly prone to becoming fact in the near future. Once you accept the dark side it will inevitably come to dominate you; this process is currently at work in American government, and has occurred many times throughout history with invariably negative results for human populations.

Perhaps the most dramatic instance of this process in all of Western history was Nazi racial policy, which went from being open enough to sign agreements with Zionists to Auschwitz and Buchenwald in just 9 years. That was something of an exception with the rapidity of their descent, the clearly evil manifestation of racism, and the totality of their defeat all within 12 years - most of these processes don't centrally involve racism, proceed slower, and are not totally defeated on the battlefield, but the fundamentals of the dark path remain the same in all of them.

*Perhaps their true motives as well, but as C.S. Lewis reminds us tyranny doesn't require bad faith.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:03 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Actually, DWI checkpoints have been ruled unconstitutional unless the legislature were to adopt strict limits, which it has not.

This was likely a traffic stop where someone was being checked for intoxication, but it wasn't a random checkpoint. So this guy was likely protesting a traffic stop.
It's a safety checkpoint not a DUI checkpoint. If they happen to snare some drunks all the better.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
No one is suggesting we make druk driving legal. False argument..

Old 12-03-2014, 09:48 AM

46,940 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
It would seem that drunk driver didn't get caught by the checkpoint.
Well, someone had been putting up signs warning motorists of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Darwin wins again.
Nah, he's already procreated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No one is suggesting we make druk driving legal. False argument..
Funny you should mention that... The idiot in the story feels (felt, perhaps?) strongly that DUI shouldn't be a crime and has argued so as part of his political run.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:54 AM

46,940 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
So it's only if the reckless act ends in actual harm you want the law to step in? Interesting.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone holds a revolver with 5 empty chambers and one bullet to a random passer-by's head, spins the cylinder and pulls the trigger, it's OK to stop him even if there isn't a bang. The rest of the argument is just about percentages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies