Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Rock's view?
Agree 26 44.07%
Disagree 33 55.93%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

no they are not crazy they were never crazy. what is crazy is this
beating to death people with a hammer.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/02...ath-in-shadow/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 02:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if, for instance, my dad started a business from the ground up and left the inheritance to me..

how was that money 'tainted' and 'built on the backs of oppression,' whatever the eff that means

how should it be 'rightfully distributed'? who exactly has the 'right' to it?
A better analogy would be if your father started a business not from the ground up, but from the hard labor/subjugation of others (i.e. slavery/Jim Crow, etc.). Because that's really what we're talking about, isn't it?

A "rightful distribution" would be to simply amend the wrongs of the past (see Japanese internment, reparations). The victimized party would have the right to it

Old 12-03-2014, 03:03 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
A better analogy would be if your father started a business not from the ground up, but from the hard labor/subjugation of others (i.e. slavery/Jim Crow, etc.). Because that's really what we're talking about, isn't it?
no. it isn't. here's what he said:

"Not even their actions. The actions of your dad. Yeah, it’s unfair that you can get judged by something you didn’t do, but it’s also unfair that you can inherit money that you didn’t work for."

when did my dad 'subjugate' others?

Quote:
A "rightful distribution" would be to simply amend the wrongs of the past (see Japanese internment, reparations). The victimized party would have the right to it
what wrongs did my dad do in this scenario? what party did he 'victimize'?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
You're misquoting me--those are Chris Rock's words.

Though, I do agree with them. The point he's trying to make is that it is tainted money, built on the backs of oppression. In a perfect world, no one should have access to it. In a more realistic one, it should be rightfully redistributed.
I really think a lot of people here are reading way more into what Rock is saying and molding it into what they "think" he means or "want" him to mean.

Read what he said. Don't assume you're own "deeper meaning" just because what he is saying on the surface is bigotry. Rock is all about holding whites responsible for the actions of blacks and this quote is not very different.

He's talking about "inheritance" in general. Not only "the 1% inheritance." He is making generalities into absolutes. Life is not always "good vs bad" w whites being "bad" and blacks being "victims." Rock is a poor role model for blacks and (no apologies for my pun) "keeps hate alive!"

Old 12-03-2014, 09:45 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:

FYI- A lot of people in Jim Crow era were "enslaved" in mental hospitals, STERILIZED, and falsely labeled "mentally defective." Most of them white women. Of course since they were sterilized, there are no offspring outside of nieces, nephews, cousins, etc.

No one was "enslaved" during Jim Crow besides these " mentally defective" described above. Many other races and religions, including Irish Catholic and Italians, and women as always, we're exploited during these times.

Where is your outrage and reparation campaign for these people?

I'm assuming that you don't care because you would not stand to benefit from attempting to right their plight.

Is this what YOU think Rock was getting at? Give blacks money even though it's "unfair?"

You sound like another entitled American of any/every race. Only caring about YOUR entitlement in the form of reparations, tax breaks, free phones, etc. And after you obtain them, (note NOT earn them) everyone else be damned! This mentality crosses party lines and ultimately helps no one as each side brings a longer list of entitlements to the table.

You, and people like you, are what is wrong with America.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Chris Rock is a racist misogynist. Always has been.

My "dad" was not a racist and his dad wasn't even in this country until late 1900s. (And i won't be inheriting any money.)

Its "unfair" that Rock makes millions a year and spews this hate.

Question: Why do conservatives love to use the race card so much?

Answer: Because it's an easy way to silence common sense statements...

Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Chris Rock makes some decent general points and typically states things with common sense.

You'll note that he doesn't give people a free pass for being a criminal etc. because they had a rough childhood either.

He's not condemning individuals for group racism but correctly asserting that historically american society was white and oppressive to blacks. I mean, how stupid does someone have to be to disagree with that? Lunch counters and MLK were something his and my fathers would have grown up with....we aren't talking 1776 here.
I'm in agreement with your post. But you can just read through this thread and see the lord didn't give out "common sense" in equal quantities...

Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Question: Why do conservatives love to use the race card so much?

Answer: Because it's an easy way to silence common sense statements...
It's not just conservatives who do that. There are plenty of racists on the left, they just hide it better.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's not just conservatives who do that. There are plenty of racists on the left, they just hide it better.
I'll confess, my post was a little tongue and cheek. Conservatives love to bring up the "race card" when blacks talk of injustice but they don't like to look in the mirror...

Old 12-03-2014, 10:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I saw Chis Rock is pretty strange himself. I am more worried about the nuts shooting at schools first. Its a violent world as we see everyday. Hate runs deep in many groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies