Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:22 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Disagree. Some of his act compares white people and black people, but there is a lot more to it. And you're ignoring the fact that he makes plenty of jokes about black people. He doesn't pick on white people in his acts, he compares stereotypical white culture with stereotypical black people. Which is normally not my kind of comedy, but I think his act is generally funny.

And the reason minorities get away with racial comedy more than white people is because white people as a group are considered to be at the top of the ladder in this country. It's not as funny watching the big guy pick on the little guy. The little guy making fun of the people with power has always been a big aspect of comedy. I know the majority of white people aren't rich and powerful, the majority of rich and powerful are white. I'm not saying it's fair or equal that other races can make more racial jokes than white people, but there's a reason why it is the way it is.
Well put

I always love these "what if a white guy did what the black guy does" retorts. I suppose back in the 1920s blacks could have said, "what if a bunch of black guys dressed up in robes and hoods and burned crosses in white people's yards."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,414 times
Shaq? More like Urkle.Guy destroys everything he touches

Old 12-04-2014, 09:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The difference is that with a sports team it doesn't matter when it flatlines for a season, with a country it does matter, there are millions of lives at stake, international obligations, etc.

Sadly, that is very,very true.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:32 AM

779 posts, read 632,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, maybe the next president is more willing to destroy the country before rebuilding it. Just let me know, so I can bail before he/she is sworn in.
You should have thought about bailing when Congressmen were very vocal about not agreeing or siding with anything that the president would propose prior to him even getting started. That should have let you know that some things would be going downhill from there.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
What has he done Presidential so far? He has lost respect/support from many other leaders. This is how I know, paying attention alway helps!
this sounds like an answer a 9 year old would give.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:29 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
In some ways, I think it would have been a very good thing... but it would have been political suicide and Obama wouldn't have been elected in the first place if that was his platform.

Then again, China could have ended up owning everything... not so sure that people would have liked that so much.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
You should have thought about bailing when Congressmen were very vocal about not agreeing or siding with anything that the president would propose prior to him even getting started. That should have let you know that some things would be going downhill from there.
Downhill? I've never been better off than now. However, if the next president promises to destroy the financial and manufacturing sectors in order to rebuild them, then anyone with half a brain will move their investments to a safer place.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Why all of a sudden is Chris Rock the go to guy on sociopolitical commentary.
He saw a YouTube video or read some stuff on CD-POC.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:00 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post

Exactly, and that's what the _________'s have done since day one. The hell with the country they flat out intend to deny everything he asks for.

Anyone think another government shutdown isn't looming?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Disagree. Some of his act compares white people and black people, but there is a lot more to it. And you're ignoring the fact that he makes plenty of jokes about black people. He doesn't pick on white people in his acts, he compares stereotypical white culture with stereotypical black people. Which is normally not my kind of comedy, but I think his act is generally funny.

And the reason minorities get away with racial comedy more than white people is because white people as a group are considered to be at the top of the ladder in this country. It's not as funny watching the big guy pick on the little guy. The little guy making fun of the people with power has always been a big aspect of comedy. I know the majority of white people aren't rich and powerful, the majority of rich and powerful are white. I'm not saying it's fair or equal that other races can make more racial jokes than white people, but there's a reason why it is the way it is.
What you tolerate you validate. Congratulations on endorsing the fanning of the flames of racial tension in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies