Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
How Can Another Ferguson be Prevented?

Have a totally black police force in the black community.

Sounds racist, but it is the tribal thing to do. The distrust and hatred for whitey, has been bred into them from childhood, as they raise them to be the victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Politicians commit crimes and conspiracies in restrooms.

Some of them think of it, ironically, as, "in camera" meetings.

Something they adopted from the judiciary branch.

Clinton conducted meetings with persons under the table.
My dad was a CA state assemblyman in the 1950's and he told me a story about someone trying to hand him $100 for a vote while he was in the bathroom.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The Grand Jury was citizens........they had ALL of the evidence.

That is not the same. I don't know if your being serious.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:53 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Some of you guys should read up on places like Ferguson. A town that's 67% African-American, but with a 90% white city government - and with over 20% of its operating budget based on "court fees". 20% poverty rate, too. Highly questionable legal practices, too - the nice thing about poor defendants is that they can't afford lawyers, see?

A very high percentage of Ferguson's population don't see the police as authority figures worthy of respect - they see a uniform and brace for the shakedown. The Ferguson police issued 32,975 arrest warrants in 2013. There are about 21,000 people in Ferguson.

In Ferguson, Court Fines And Fees Fuel Anger : NPR

You'd harbor resentment, too.
From the article
Quote:
"It's driving while suspended, no proof of insurance and failure to register a vehicle," he says.
Should they just allow it and if someone doesn't pay or show up in court not issue a warrant.
Why is the government 90% white.

I have been pulled over for driving with no insurance. When I was pulled over I didn't brace for a shakedown, I knew I had violated the law, fully expected to be given a ticket and to have to pay a fine.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:55 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Add gun cameras that take a picture every time a shot is fired.
That's an interesting idea. There are already rifle scopes that do that, it wouldn't take much to adapt it to use the under barrel light rail common on many pistols.

It may not stop any shootings but would certainly answer the question of exactly what the suspect was doing when the trigger was pulled and if they had a weapon, or anything that looked like a weapon.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
My dad was a CA state assemblyman in the 1950's and he told me a story about someone trying to hand him $100 for a vote while he was in the bathroom.
Yes, but if talk is involved, look over the tops of all the stalls first.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:09 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,134 times
Having officers wear body cams would be a very good start. Had Wilson been wearing one, it would've told the real story. Which would be huge, because the story is almost always somewhere between the cop's story and the other guy's story.

I'm not saying it would solve everything. Even if we knew exactly what happened, there would still be people who would argue what actions were justifiable and what weren't. But it would help quite a bit.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:12 PM

All of you saying the way to prevent this is for criminals to stop being criminals. I agree, if everyone stopped committing crimes there'd be no need for cops and there'd by no violence and we'd all live happily ever after. But what you guys are describing is an end goal, not a solution. It's like answering the question "How do we solve world hunger?" by saying "Feed everyone."

We can't just go up to people and say "Don't commit crimes." Well, we can, but it's not going to do anything. So to fix the problem we need real solutions.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:14 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Clearly most of you have learned nothing which is why the protests need to continue.

Some of you are still denying injustices in our justice system. The law that holds our country together.
Actually most of America has learned a lesson from furgeson that you seem to have missed.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
What are you talking about? Michael Brown robbed a convenience store, tried to snatch a gun from a cop (presumably to kill him) and then charged the cop. Not doing any of these three would be the obvious way to prevent another 'Ferguson.'

I am as much of a cop hater as the next guy. In my view police are out of control, not held accountable, are institutionally corrupt, often racist, and do a pretty good imitation of an occupying army. I'm not seeing it in this case. In this case the cop did what I want to see cops do--go after the criminal who robs, rapes, or murders.
Agreed with you completely. But, having police wear body cams would help a lot I think. If we actually witnessed Brown do these things with our own eyes, nobody could deny that Wilson had to do what he had to do. The evidence of that is already pretty clear, but since we can't see it there are still people who will say it happened differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies