Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 09:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Do you have a link of proof?
Is this not a country of "innocent until proven guilty"? Why do I have to supply proof of a unsubstantiated claim? Where is the proof he did?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 AM

17,394 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Is this not a country of "innocent until proven guilty"? Why do I have to supply proof of a unsubstantiated claim? Where is the proof he did?
Okay. So you don't have proof he didn't have loosies on him.

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You might want to quote the whole post next time. This rule is not my rule. I disagree too, but if this is the existing rule and police officers have to follow procedure, why argueing with them?
There is no rule that you must comply. It is suggested by many that you are better off in just complying but it's illegal for the police to detain you with no reasonable suspicion or threat to them.

You do not have to comply with illegal requests.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:26 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
[/b]
Goodness, why's the obvious so hard to admit. He posed no threat to their safety when they approached on the baseless grounds that standing was reasonable cause to harass him.
No offense but it is difficult to discuss it with you unless you fully understand that loitering is a crime. Standing in front of a shop is loitering. This now means he can be placed in cuffs and pat down. Doesn't mean a full arrest. If you start swinging your arms at that weight and with officer's knowledge of your 31 arrest, there is no telling how he might react.

Again, can I come to your job and tell you how to do it with my limited knowledge?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Not when you have done nothing wrong. You won't find a single case where someone was convicted of resisting where it was a mistaken arrest. You are advised to not resist but that is so they won't beat the crap out of you. Or worse.
O.K.

If you find yourself being arrested then simply tell the officer that you've done nothing wrong and any attempt to convict you of a crime will be futile. Then resist the arrest (which is not illegal, according to you, as you haven't committed a crime).

Let's see how that works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
How would you respond if we came to your job nit-picking and not knowing exact procedures but "thought" we did? Are you law enforcement? Do you know that policing in one area is against policy in other areas? Do you know that pat downs are encouraged in bad neighborhoods of new york whereas they are not in valley towns in jersey to protect the prissy valley image? Did you know that?

Now, we can move on to the actual death part because trying to determine whether detaining or approach was or wasn't reasonable is clearly not your area.
Yes they are encouraged and hopefully the end result of the current lawsuits end up overturning these actions.

Condemning the chokehold is not nit picking. He was not allowed to do it.

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I don't know if you smoke or not, but I do. I don't know how many times someone (a stranger) has offered me a quarter or even a dollar for a cigarette. Now in most instances I will just tell them to keep the money and bum them a cigarette anyway, but there have been times where I have taken it. Does that make me a thug?

I agree. I think people are looking at this situation from a weird and cold "black and white" perspective. They are just like "They broke the law, they should be arrested. If they resist arrest, then whatever force the police use is justified. They wouldn't be dead if they didn't break the law or just did what the police told them to do."

I just want to say that point-of-view is scary to me. It sounds like something a sociopath would say. And if you really believe that, I don't think I want to share a country with you. You are dangerous.

Let me just say, everyone breaks the law. Everyone. And sometimes the laws are really stupid, and the discretion used in their application can feel like they are being used to target and harass you. On top of that, no one likes to be arrested. Especially when they believe strongly that they are being arrested for something stupid.

If you can't imagine yourself being upset at the police to the extent of pushing your arms out in a way to prevent yourself from being arrested, I have to wonder if you are actually a person. I consider myself a very honest and decent person, but I've daydreamed about resisting the police on numerous occasions.

When I was younger, I would watch "cops", and then imagine how I would "run away from the cops". Mapping out my route through my neighborhood in my head. Hell, I still have dreams about "running away" from a variety of people. Including the police, dogs, and just random people who are trying to do me harm.

Keep in mind, I've never been arrested. I've never really done anything wrong. But I've been hassled by the police a lot in my life. I've been "pulled over walking" half a dozen times(I walk around a lot at night). And I didn't drive for five years because I drove my sister's car and her tag was out. I got ticketed. She got pulled over the same night and got a warning. I was so angry for the "inconsistent application of the law" that I refused to pay my ticket. And at that point decided to just not drive the rest of my life.

As you have said, people ask people for cigarettes all the time, and offer to pay them for them. It is so common around here, that it is annoying to me because I don't smoke. Hell, people used to ask me for weed and other stuff when I walked around.

With that said. My sister didn't have a job and I was "taking care of her" for a while. Including her smoking habit.

I told her I didn't like paying $6 a pack for cigarettes, so I bought a bunch of "roll your own" tobacco and tubes off the internet. I assumed that, my total cost per pack is only about 70 cents.

We have a lot of other friends who smoke. And so I told them they could basically make cigarettes for $1 a pack with my rolling machine.

Technically I'm breaking the law. Hell, the cops might show up here tomorrow trying to arrest me. I mean, why couldn't they? I even admitted to it publicly.

If they did, I would be rather annoyed, for a variety of reasons. And if I objected to being arrested to the extent that I pulled my arm to the side when they tried to put handcuffs on me. Your argument is that they can basically choke me out and kill me because "I was resisting".

The reason I would be objecting, is that I think such a law is unreasonable. And its application is plain silly in most situations. The purpose of the law isn't to promote "the public safety". Its purpose is only for raising tax revenue.

I don't know if I would resist like Garner, because I'm actually a very peaceful person. But I can certainly see myself feeling perfectly justified if I had.

For that matter, if I had been Garner and I had lived after being choked out by this cop under those circumstances. I can imagine myself being so upset that I would fantasize about following him home from work and shooting him in the face as he walked into his house.

Not that I would do it, but I would definitely think about it. If that is the case, then "something is obviously wrong in this situation".

We can do better, we should do better. I am not calling for anyone's head, but we should at least be able to agree that what happened to Garner was completely unnecessary. That normal/rational people wouldn't have behaved like those cops even under the same circumstances. And if that kind of behavior is simply tolerated, then you are sowing the seeds of hate and division.

My friend often says that, a cop should imagine that every person he comes into contact with was his actual brother or sister. Would these cops have acted differently if they were arresting a member of their own family? They can only act this way by completely dehumanizing the other person. They have a mentality of "us vs them".

Old 12-04-2014, 09:28 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,939 times
Quote:
There is no rule that you must comply. It is suggested by many that you are better off in just complying but it's illegal for the police to detain you with no reasonable suspicion or threat to them.

You do not have to comply with illegal requests.
he was loitering. It doesn't prevent detention. Detention is not arrest. Do you want to keep skipping that part?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:28 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Would it make any difference to you if they didn't find loosies ? I could link to many articles stating they found none, but you'd support the illegal cop action anyways.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
But please, don't let that stop you from condemning him for something there is no proof he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies