Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I am not floored by this decision as I should be. A bystander caught a video of an illegal choke hold by NYPD officer resulting in the death of this man. There is something tremendously wrong with a law enforcement system. Police are suppose to protect us and keep us safe. This is tragically ridiculous.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Police are suppose to protect us and keep us safe. This is tragically ridiculous.
We need another force to protect us and keep us safe from the police themselves. They've gone off the deep end, and it's sanctioned by the legal system.

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I had just written a post saying that body cameras would help to stop police brutality.

Welp, so much for that theory.

RIP Eric Garner.

The only thing that will stop it is people standing up to the Police. Everything else has been tried before.

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Eve with the death, and banned choke hold, recorded on video... a grand jury decided against an indictment in the death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man, who died after white police officer Daniel Pantaleo put him in a choke hold.

There is a conflict of interest in a system where an Assistant District Attorney, who needs police co-operation every day, is responsible for directing and presenting evidence to a jury to decide if charges should be laid, or not, against a cop.

N.Y. cop not indicted in choke hold death - CNN.com
Talk about biased reporting!

"Unarmed black," the universal battle cry of Leftist rabble rousers (a.k.a. "community organizers").

If the perp is black, he's automatically innocent of any wrong doing. And though he may (as in the case of Michael Brown) outweigh the police officer by many pounds, and be exceptionally strong, and able to overwhelm an officer with his strength, and the power of his fists (as in the Ferguson case), he is labeled as "unarmed" every time he is mentioned in any report. This is on purpose, for emotional effect. But fists and overwhelming strength can be deadly (recall George Zimmerman vs. street fighter, Travon Martin, an expert in MMA).

In the case of Michael Brown, and perhaps also this case, these perps killed themselves, by failing to cooperate with demands by the police to stop. They each defied authority, and as a result they ended up dead. How foolish.

Their own damn fault! "Live by the sword, die by the sword." Thugs will ultimately pay with their lives.

We hire police to protect us from these worthless pieces of human debris. Then when they do their job, if the perp is a black man, we crucify those we hired to protect us.

If the perp is black, we expect an indictment. Facts, and the rule of law, don't matter. A grand jury isn't supposed to find the truth. They are expected to do what the people on the street demand. Justice isn't supposed to be blind, especially not color blind. Blacks must be allowed their retaliation for their ancestor's enslavement. It is their turn to be racists.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I've been a law enforcement officer, did the training, learned all the ways you use force, etc.

Follow the three rules listed, and yes, it will always, every single time, work out exactly like clb10 explains.

1) Stay calm.
2) Obey the order as given (to which I would add "repeat the order back so they know you heard them").
3) Be respectful.

Do all 3 and you will not be harmed beyond a sting to the pride. And if the officer is in the wrong, your lawyer can pound that out in a court of law, where you have far less risk of being shot, getting choked/injured, etc.
Unfortunately, this is not true. You don't have to look too far back in history to see that this is not true.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
What the hell is wrong with this country?

When will there be an open dialogue to talk about the corruption and excessive force used by law officers?

Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
If Eric Garner was choked to the point of passing out (and subsequently dying), I can understand a murder (or even involuntary manslaughter) charge but he was still alive and breathing following the take down. It seems to me that his existing medical condition is contributed to his death.
That's like saying, judge, all I did was shove the old man onto the ground, he was alive when they took him to the hospital. Seems like the fact that he was 89 years old contributed to his death.

Maybe his weight did contribute, but if he wasn't put in an illegal, unlawful, excessive choke hold, he'd be fine.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:58 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, but I'm a supporter of law enforcement and an orderly society.
Officers doing things their own police department bans results in an orderly society??

Old 12-03-2014, 01:58 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I've been a law enforcement officer, did the training, learned all the ways you use force, etc.

Follow the three rules listed, and yes, it will always, every single time, work out exactly like clb10 explains.

1) Stay calm.
2) Obey the order as given (to which I would add "repeat the order back so they know you heard them").
3) Be respectful.

Do all 3 and you will not be harmed beyond a sting to the pride. And if the officer is in the wrong, your lawyer can pound that out in a court of law, where you have far less risk of being shot, getting choked/injured, etc.
I also have an issue with saying that being disrespectful or panicking (that latter of which can be hard to control) puts you in a higher risk of being harmed or killed by an officer. Well, not so much the saying of it, because you're right. You are safer if you're respectful and calm. But panicking and being disrespectful are not against the law. You shouldn't run the risk of being injured just by not bowing down to an officer.

I'm not saying I support being rude to cops. You shouldn't be rude to anyone. But it's not illegal to forget your pleases, thank yous, and yes sirs and no sirs. Even though it's good advice, it rides the line of victim blaming. It's not even you or your post I have issue with. Like I said, you're absolutely right. It's just unfortunate that you have to take steps to avoid being shot by police.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:59 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
When confronted by the police:

1. Stay calm

2. Obey their orders

3. Be respectful

If you are innocent then you will have a day in court. You will also be alive.
Exactly. But thugs need to be heroes among their peers. The must show they are "men." To surrender to authority is cowardice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies