Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 05:55 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
How do you type from so high up on your high horse?

You sure seem to hold some very close minded, highly opinionated, bigoted views.

Do you blame blame a rape victim if she was wearing a short skirt? Did she deserve it because she was dressed provocatively?

I've read so many of your rants, I understand your son is a cop so I understand your skewed view on reality, but damn, are you really this inhumane? Are you really incapable of thinking that even if Garner WAS selling a loose cigarette, that even if he squirmed away from people putting their hands on his person without ever saying we are detaining you/you are under arrest, that is is a CAPITAL crime? Are you really that cold and bitter? I hope you hold the same disdain for the suits across the river on wall street that systematically fleeced the nation, surely a crime worse than selling an untaxed smoke. . .but where is the accountability?

Also, what do drugs and prostitutes have to do with anything? This isn't about any of that, it's about EXCESSIVE FORCE and POLICE CORRUPTION.

You seemed to conveniently not respond to the post I had quoted you on, about respecting laws, and how the cop that was on Garners back has been sued THREE times, and settled in court, because he can't follow the laws HE took to protect/enforce.

Is it so absurd to imagine that there ARE BAD COPS? Is it so hard to think that Garner WASN'T doing anything, and the cops were harassing him because they knew him? Is it absurd to think that garner was sick of being targeted/harassed and said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH?

As for those priors: If he was such a horrible, evil, "Thug", why wasn't he IN PRISON?

If you'd take a second, and wouldn't mind flexing your head, read this:
The Police in America Are Becoming Illegitimate | Rolling Stone

It provides a very insightful look into what everyday citizens deal with in NYC/Staten Island/All the boroughs when horrible policing is the norm.

Seriously, maybe when you come back to earth, you can look at the bigger questions and concerns. You might also one day realize that the world is very different outside of your little bubble, and that things are different for those in other areas of the nation.

When cops aren't held accountable, what message does that send to the public, and more importantly, to other cops? Do you not see the systematic rise in lack of accountability across the nation? Do you not see the wide spread corruption, spreading through the system? I suppose it's all the victims faults, right?
Great post! I'd rep ya if I could.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The M.E said he died from a collapsed throat. Exactly how many times does this and the fact that the police officer was not permitted to choke him need pointed out

A nice round number would be nice.

Only one collapsed his throat but yes more should have been charged also but that goes to the root of the problem. Protecting the officers no matter what.

It matters none what someone that didn't do the autopsey said. What is Dr. Phil's opinion do you suppose? Its as relevant.
Maybe you don't know who dr Baden is. Only one of the most prominent ME's in America. Certainly capable of
Reading an autopsy report. Every expert ME has asserted that the was no damage to the windpipe according to the autopsy report.

Please cite the source that says his throat collapsed.

Man in chokehold death had no throat damage: autopsy | New York Post

The medical examiner ruled Garner's death a homicide, saying it was caused by neck compressions from a chokehold and "the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police." Asthma, heart disease and obesity were contributing factors in the death, the medical examiner said.

"We reviewed all of her findings and all the tissues and photographs and they do confirm that there’s a hemorrhage in the neck indicative of neck compression.”

The compression of the neck did no damage to the windpipe, however hemorrages were present. I'm not defending police actions here, just saying there was no larynx damage.

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 12-07-2014 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 06:38 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The medical examiner ruled that his death was a homicide and that the officer did indeed preform a choke hold, not a head lock.
The Medical Examiner can declare it a "homicide", but that doesn't change the fact they also said there was no damage to the larynx or bones of the neck itself. The official cause of death was compression of the neck (although they declared there was no trauma), compression to the body, prone positioning along with asthma, heart disease & obesity. Garner didn't die at the scene, rather in the ambulance or heart failure.

Also, the Medical Examiner has no expertise or training to decide if it was a "choke hold" or not. It'd be like the cops declaring the cause of death. The 12 people on the Grand Jury (9 of them Blacks) were explained specifically what constituted a "choke hold", which is why they refused to pursue the case, because the cop never locked his fingers together, which is what constitutes a "choke hold".

Old 12-07-2014, 06:47 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The Medical Examiner can declare it a "homicide", but that doesn't change the fact they also said there was no damage to the larynx or bones of the neck itself. The official cause of death was compression of the neck (although they declared there was no trauma), compression to the body, prone positioning along with asthma, heart disease & obesity. Garner didn't die at the scene, rather in the ambulance or heart failure.

Also, the Medical Examiner has no expertise or training to decide if it was a "choke hold" or not. It'd be like the cops declaring the cause of death. The 12 people on the Grand Jury (9 of them Blacks) were explained specifically what constituted a "choke hold", which is why they refused to pursue the case, because the cop never locked his fingers together, which is what constitutes a "choke hold".
What a bunch of irrational gobedlygood. They killed the man. It's obvious and plain as the nose on your face.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post

How about we let the police define a choke hold

From The NYPD Patrol Guide:
Quote:
Members of the New York City Police Department will NOT use chokeholds. A chokehold shall include, but is not limited to, any pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air.
Excerpt: The NYPD Patrol Guide | Every Mother's Son | POV | PBS

Now where does it say there that fingers have to be locked together?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
What a bunch of irrational gobedlygood. They killed the man. It's obvious and plain as the nose on your face.
No doubt this man died at the hands of cops. And should be held accountable. However, Facts are not irrational. People think of this "chokehold" as if the compression of the neck caused asphyxiation. The ME says different.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
No doubt this man died at the hands of cops. And should be held accountable. However, Facts are not irrational. People think of this "chokehold" as if the compression of the neck caused asphyxiation. The ME says different.
The ME says the Choke hold and the compression on him when he was on the ground is what caused his death.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
The ME says the Choke hold and the compression on him when he was on the ground is what caused his death.
That's what I've been saying all along. Others on here believe he was killed similar to choking on food and blocking the windpipe.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
That's what I've been saying all along. Others on here believe he was killed similar to choking on food and blocking the windpipe.
Ok. It isn't that easy keeping track of what everyone says here.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:20 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This is unbelievable. A man is dead after being attacked by police and the cop defenders are arguing over the definition of homicide, the definition of chokehold vs shoulder strap hold, whether the neck hold caused a lack of oxygen or restricted blood flow to the brain, and if the neck hold alone was responsible for his death or if the weight of cops on his back contributed. You guys are trying to weasel out of it with a dictionary yet a man is still dead after being tackled and thrown to the ground by five cops.

All because he was selling single cigarettes Why would he be arrested for that. How many of us have been stopped for traffic violations and let off with a warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies