Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:46 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
In real life they're called the straight up n word by white people of their own party. Not sure why you think that I believe black people would be above name calling.

As I keep saying, what I am against is this notion that they are pariahs and shunned by black people.
Unless you are talking about some unknown trailer trash somewhere I've never heard Justice Thomas called the N word by white people.

Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Did you read what he said? He did mention race and continued on to say that the guy votes against his black constituents' interests in that state. Mentioning race does not mean that you're labeling someone a racist. That's not a smear campaign. You've got enough GOP mementos saying actual racist things our racially implied things so you can just replay those. How do you interpret playing the race card as equivalent to painting the GOP as racist?

By the way they accused Clinton of doing the same thing. Does a race card played on each side cancel one another out?

What do you think is happening when the GOP goes after poor people and people on welfare, the face of whom is black people, or immigration, the face of which is a Mexican? That is playing the other side of the race card.
Here's what he said:

Quote:
[Tim Scott] "votes against the interest and aspirations of 95 percent of the black people in South Carolina..."
Yes, I do consider it fundamentally racist to imply that ideology is a function of skin color, as Clyburn implicitly says. Why would 95% of blacks in SC all have to have the same interests and aspirations?

I don't even quite know what you mean by "GOP mementos saying actual racist things." If it is what I think, such statements are pretty rare and quickly followed by the person getting the boot. Last year there was a black female candidate in a GOP primary in Illinois named Erika Harold. A GOP County chair made some nasty remarks about her, and within days was forced to resign, and the entire GOP apparatus disavowed the guy.

I also don't know what you mean in saying that the "GOP goes after poor people," and I also find it actually offensive to say that blacks represent the "face of" the poor. Which party is really "going after" the poor? IMO it is the party that continually ropes people into a life of indolence and dependency. You've got it exactly backwards.

Here in the Seattle area a large share of immigrants are Russian. I was t-boned by a Russian who ran a red light. She didn't have insurance either. Immigration policy for me has nothing to do with race. It's about language, culture, economics, and politics.

You're doing exactly what I charged in my previous post: accusing a vast swath of people of being racist, while presenting zero evidence. That is one definition of bigotry, so ironically in the end it turns out that you are the one displaying bigotry, not Republicans.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Unless you are talking about some unknown trailer trash somewhere I've never heard Justice Thomas called the N word by white people.

Never.
He grew up in Pin Point, Ga. in the 1940's, 50's and 60's.

What do you supposed the local white folks called him? Mister or sir?

Get real.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:09 PM

779 posts, read 632,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here's what he said:

Yes, I do consider it fundamentally racist to imply that ideology is a function of skin color, as Clyburn implicitly says. Why would 95% of blacks in SC all have to have the same interests and aspirations?

I don't even quite know what you mean by "GOP mementos saying actual racist things." If it is what I think, such statements are pretty rare and quickly followed by the person getting the boot. Last year there was a black female candidate in a GOP primary in Illinois named Erika Harold. A GOP County chair made some nasty remarks about her, and within days was forced to resign, and the entire GOP apparatus disavowed the guy.

I also don't know what you mean in saying that the "GOP goes after poor people," and I also find it actually offensive to say that blacks represent the "face of" the poor. Which party is really "going after" the poor? IMO it is the party that continually ropes people into a life of indolence and dependency. You've got it exactly backwards.

Here in the Seattle area a large share of immigrants are Russian. I was t-boned by a Russian who ran a red light. She didn't have insurance either. Immigration policy for me has nothing to do with race. It's about language, culture, economics, and politics.

You're doing exactly what I charged in my previous post: accusing a vast swath of people of being racist, while presenting zero evidence. That is one definition of bigotry, so ironically in the end it turns out that you are the one displaying bigotry, not Republicans.
My guess is that much like some republicans have interpreted recent changes in the public's wants and needs due to the last election results, he may be assuming that the large number of voters who voted for the same people have similar goals and aspirations. His assumption could be wrong but it is not simply race based stereotyping. It would be a misinterpretation of a demographic's vote.

Why are you offended? I am well aware that the face of the poor is a varied one. I am discussing perception vs reality and the perception that they have does not seem to be that black people are not the face of the poor. How do you rope someone into dependence? One can and many do use welfare and other programs for a short time and then leave or choose not to use it at all.

What does Seattle's Russian population have top do with illegal immigration? No one is talking about building a fence to keep put the Russians and I see very few people mention European immigration policies.

I'm actually not painting them all as being racist. Why would I? There is no evidence of that at all. Who have I proven to be bigoted about?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He grew up in Pin Point, Ga. in the 1940's, 50's and 60's.

What do you supposed the local white folks called him? Mister or sir?

Get real.
They probably think that all of them were democrats or all of the really racist white people have died.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I think you are off on the first bolded statement. He voted with conservative principles, which happens to be in favor of some constituents, of any and all colors, ethnicities, religious faith and non-religious believers.

He is a South Carolina Senator, not a Black South Carolina Senator, nor an Indian (not Native, but country), nor a Latina, nor a White South Carolina Senator. To inject any of those, or to say he voted against x race constituency, is to immediate get away from the fact that he is a Senator for all South Carolinians.

Another bolded, ...'goes after'...? The implication again seems to be racial. As if one's votes are anti something or some group, not for something or all. At the very least, anti-some group? How about conservative fiscal view, or what is best for all, not just a few? Anything else implies and us against them mindset.

Is that what you really believe?
Do I believe that it is us against them racially? Nah. I think the us vs them comes in to play topic by topic.

I am site that you are right. He was voting his conservative principles.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
I do question the judgement of anyone who, as an adult, converts to Mormonism. In that regard, I place Ludmya "Anchor Baby" Bourdeau in the same boat as Glenn Beck.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Again, just look at the simple words of Clyburn.

Quote:
[Tim Scott] "votes against the interest and aspirations of 95 percent of the black people in South Carolina..."
Aren't there black business owners, black private and public sector workers, black professional and low skill workers, black employed and black unemployed in South Carolina? Why would they all be expected to have identical interests and aspirations? Only if Clyburn believes that ideology is and should be a function of color of skin. And that is a fundamentally racist belief.

BTW James Clyburn was also involved in the playing of the race card against Bill Clinton in the 2008 Democratic primaries. Bill Clinton had characterized Pres. Obama's talking points on Iraq as a 'fairy tale' and Clymer incredibly tried to warp that into somehow being a disparaging reference to MLK's 'I have a dream' speech.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/us...XRC7wa1Nlim2eQ
Quote:
“To call that dream a fairy tale, which Bill Clinton seemed to be doing, could very well be insulting to some of us,” said Mr. Clyburn, who said he and others took significant risks more than 40 years ago to produce such opportunities for future black Americans.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I do question the judgement of anyone who, as an adult, converts to Mormonism. In that regard, I place Ludmya "Anchor Baby" Bourdeau in the same boat as Glenn Beck.
Is Pres. Obama, who joined Trinity United as an adult, in that boat too?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Is Pres. Obama, who joined Trinity United as an adult, in that boat too?
What's wrong with Trinity?

Other than the fact that they push superstition that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies