Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,449,745 times

Advertisements

One mall Santa might be getting some coal in his stocking this year.

Last week, Santa Claus and a helper elf from The Shops at Mission Viejo in California turned away a 7-year-old girl with autism and her service dog, a pit bull named Pup-Cake.

Mall Santa turns away autistic girl and her service dog - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 PM

406 posts, read 282,152 times
I don't respect anyone who makes issue with legitimate service dogs. They are needed and the person couldn't do nearly as much without him or her.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:58 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,589,733 times
I did not read entire story but was the dog. certified as service dog;first. The they should have researched before picking that breed. Even my homeowners will not insure a home with that and some other breeds. Other companies require a exclusion. Blame the choice; not the mall who has to also buy insurance for liability. I am sure she was welcome tho without the dog.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:23 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,740,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
... I am sure she was welcome tho without the dog.
Not according to the article. Even after her parents said they'd take the dog to a different area, Santa still refused to see the little girl.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,074,197 times
Quote:
I did not read entire story but was the dog. certified as service dog;first. The they should have researched before picking that breed. Even my homeowners will not insure a home with that and some other breeds. Other companies require a exclusion. Blame the choice; not the mall who has to also buy insurance for liability. I am sure she was welcome tho without the dog.
This is the question I have as well, was the dog actually a legitimate service animal? Or was it a self claimed service animal like that woman with her pet pig on an airplane? This is also the first time I have heard of a pit bull as a service animal.

That being said I will criticize the "Santa" for not seeing the girl once the dog was removed.

EDIT: Am I reading this correctly that the girls name is Abcde? Huh? Really? Pilot Inspektor has been outdone in the strangeness department!

Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Have any of you folks ever seen a real service dog? Aggressiveness is nearly but all completely trained out of them. That's not their purpose, nor what they are trained for. A special needs person cannot have a aggressive dog. Say if an elderly person fell on them, or accidentally ran over their paw with their walker or cane......biting or growling will be the last thing they would do. I knew of a Golden Retriever that was a service dog for his master who suffered multiple heart attacks and had some serious heart conditions. When he was about ready to have one, the dog could smell and change in his odor given off by a chemical that is/was released during the start of a cardiac arrest. The dog would alert him beforehand and he already had 911 dialed before he passed out.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,589,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Not according to the article. Even after her parents said they'd take the dog to a different area, Santa still refused to see the little girl.
Perhaps they created a scene and where asked to leave. Always more to these type stories than articles give. Usually the author only tells what was claimed and mall likely declined comment on liability grounds. I have watched two incident where people brought in store and were asked to show. They got bad and one was even a monkey.When they got bad I would have just said leave or we call police.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Perhaps they created a scene and where asked to leave. Always more to these type stories than articles give. Usually the author only tells what was claimed and mall likely declined comment on liability grounds. I have watched two incident where people brought in store and were asked to show. They got bad and one was even a monkey.When they got bad I would have just said leave or we call police.
Malls aren't known for their brains. Their unarmed wimp security guards either. A elderly retired mechanic could offer better protection from a 3/4" drive Craftsman ratchet he lifted at Sears.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,390,713 times
That is just terrible and mean. That was a mean way to treat this girl. And I will tell you this, I like a lot of the pit's I know better then a lot of people period! and yes I do trust them. Many of this breed, are treated like chit, and live in inhumane conditions.

I do not think this Santa has been good.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,555,520 times
Bad Santa.

I feel parts of the story are missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies