Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation
I'm pro cannabis and wouldn't tell the authorities and child services. 32 45.71%
I'm pro cannabis but would tell the authorities and child services 4 5.71%
I'm anti cannabis and would tell the authorities and child services 17 24.29%
I'm anti cannabis but I wouldn't tell the authorities and child services 7 10.00%
other 10 14.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:16 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I'm pro legalization, but I don't believe people should be taking care of children while impaired on any substance, and children should not be exposed to the smoke in any way. I would most likely sit down with them to understand the full situation. I would not report them to Child's services without A LOT more information. That can be life ruining, and the children often end up worse off.
Indeed. I'm not that vindictive and vengeful of a person to potentially screw someone's life up like that. Especially over a little bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Ditto.

There is a time and place for most things.

That was exactly what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
First off I wouldn't call going to facebook and seeking child rearing advice a sign of very good parenting.

Anyway, while I think it should be legalized, and therefore wouldn't call the authorities, I would probably reconsider allowing my child back to that home. At a minimum I would ask the parents about it and express my concerns. Really it's the same with alcohol. While it is legal, I wouldn't be comfortable having my child in a home with heavy or even super-conspicuous drinking. That said, what parent of small children has the time for either?

Old 12-04-2014, 12:21 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So my wife was on Facebook the other day, and an old colleague of hers posted that when she went to pick her young child up at a friend's house, when the parents opened the door she could smell the strong odor of cannabis. She had asked what should she do, in which a variety of opinions naturally ensued. So tell me fellow CD'rs what would you do? I'm 1,000 percent pro legalization of cannabis, and anyone who has seen my posting history knows it is no secret that I support repealing the federal ban on cannabis like yesterday! At any rate, I've included a poll too. I look forward to your responses, and I'll chime in with mine.

Note to mods... I posted this here in P&C because of the politics behind cannabis prohibtion, and it is indeed even in 2014 with a growing majority of Americans favoring legalization still controversial.
I wouldn't allow my child around those people any longer.
I'm only against cannabis, b/c it is against the law....and like anything else, you shouldn't smoke and drive. If I want to set a good example for my child, regardless, if it is against the law, then you don't do it, your not around it, period.

and I agree with the poster above me, seeking fb approval or parenting skills is poor parenting skills.

But if she choses to report them, then it's no one's fault but their own.

When something is against the law, you don't do it...simple.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:26 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Since she knew what it smells like, she should've asked for a big fat toke. "GIMME THE GANJA!!! YURRGH!!!!"
That's a joke.

I would've made a comment about "What's that smell? This smells like my old college room mate's air freshener. It smelled like burning grass." Then watch their eye begin to twitch.

Ladies ask questions because they have a legitimate "something" bugging them. This is going to continue to worry her until all she can think about is this problem. It IS a problem. If it wasn't a problem, she wouldn't mention it. The answer is find another sitter. The legality of it doesn't even matter. She trusted her sitter to not get high while watching her kids and that trust is blown. Even if she says something, it's still blown.

Buh bye, sitter.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Can't a person get a contact high just from being in the same room where the smoke in being blown?

And in this case I fault the parent for leaving their child with that person. I'm sure the parent already knew that the person watching the kid smokes pot.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:32 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
my brother in law smokes quite a bit, and i've never gone to his house and it smelled like Cannabis. I would not allow my kid to be exposed to ANY second hand smoke - weed or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So my wife was on Facebook the other day, and an old colleague of hers posted that when she went to pick her young child up at a friend's house, when the parents opened the door she could smell the strong odor of cannabis. She had asked what should she do, in which a variety of opinions naturally ensued. So tell me fellow CD'rs what would you do? I'm 1,000 percent pro legalization of cannabis, and anyone who has seen my posting history knows it is no secret that I support repealing the federal ban on cannabis like yesterday! At any rate, I've included a poll too. I look forward to your responses, and I'll chime in with mine.

Note to mods... I posted this here in P&C because of the politics behind cannabis prohibtion, and it is indeed even in 2014 with a growing majority of Americans favoring legalization still controversial.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:33 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
First off I wouldn't call going to facebook and seeking child rearing advice a sign of very good parenting.

Anyway, while I think it should be legalized, and therefore wouldn't call the authorities, I would probably reconsider allowing my child back to that home. At a minimum I ask the parents about it and express my concerns. Really it's the same with alcohol. While it is legal, I wouldn't be comfortable having my child in a home with heavy or even super-conspicuous drinking. That said, what parent of small children has the time for either?

In these days of social media people love to air their life stories. Personally, I can't stand FB anymore, and don't even go on there. In regards to alcohol, you know what? My parents consumed it in front of me. I have a couple of beers after work with my kid around. They weren't raging alcoholics, and neither am I. My parents had friends who smoked weed, while not directly in front of me, I knew damn well what they were doing! They weren't causing any problems, and nobody's lives were in danger. In short as far as alcohol goes, adults shouldn't have to restrict moderate drinking of alcohol given that it is indeed legal. As for the weed, I don't think the parents should be doing it in front of kids due to it's current illegal status, but like I said, I may have a conversation expressing my concerns as referenced previously, but I'm not going to rat them out! At WORST I may not let my kid over there again, but that would be it!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:41 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I live in Denver where pot is legal but I'm honestly not sure what I would do. Well, I guess one thing I'm not clear on is whether the friend is a friend of the parent and someone who was babysitting, or if it was a friend of the child's and the parents of that other kid were smoking pot while there was a kid over on a playdate. If it's the former, then I would make it clear that I expect a babysitter to refrain, the same way I would expect them to not drink alcohol if they were watching my kid.

If it's a playdate, I think it gets sticky. Would I demand the adults in the house never have a drink if my child happened to be there? Would I never have a drink if someone else's kid was in my house? I don't personally smoke pot so that's the closest example for me. I would certainly prefer someone not smoke anything around my kid, and since it's legal here, I would not bring any authorities into it. But yeah, I might lean towards wanting future playdates to be at my house instead.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:44 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Not enough information.

Did smoke come pouring out of the place like a Cheech and Chong movie?

Or was the smoke on the dad's clothes as he'd just smoked a blunt down in his den while the mom was supervising the kids elsewhere?

Old 12-04-2014, 12:45 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
I fully support legalization and would not call the authorities (based on the known information). Unless there's reason (like real reason, not biased reason) to suspect that there's negligence or abuse of some kind happening towards the kids, I wouldn't see it as a problem. Similar to alcohol, if a parent had drank a glass or two of wine, I wouldn't be too upset, but if they were hammered at like 10 AM, I'd see that as a bit of an issue.

So really, it depends. Assuming it was just normal recreational use and nothing to problematic, I'd definitely just mind my own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies