Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation
I'm pro cannabis and wouldn't tell the authorities and child services. 32 45.71%
I'm pro cannabis but would tell the authorities and child services 4 5.71%
I'm anti cannabis and would tell the authorities and child services 17 24.29%
I'm anti cannabis but I wouldn't tell the authorities and child services 7 10.00%
other 10 14.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:27 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times

Advertisements

I no longer use, however, I am pro in the sense that people should be able to do whatever they want as long as they don't impede on others. If I felt that their use was affecting their child in a negative way, I'd have to do something. I probably wouldn't turn them into child services, but I'd definitely have a personal chat with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volts View Post
Not beer either....hard liquor. That is what concerns me. I almost said something to his older teenage brother about it, then decided it was none of my business and kept it to myself. It was a pretty good blood alcohol level too to be able to smell it six feet or more away even while a torch was being used.
What is your job?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
I am not against weed being legalized. That said it is currently illegal in most states. Doing weed in front of my kids, exposing them to the second hand smoke etc, would pizza me off. You want to break the law? Fine, not in front of my kids. If you feel the right to do it in your home? Fine tell me before hand and I won't let my kids on your property.
It isn't okay to expose my children to your weed, expose my children to you breaking the law, or deal with you getting stoned. I don't ask you to stop. I ask you for the heads up that you do weed. I'll let my kids play somewhere else.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So my wife was on Facebook the other day, and an old colleague of hers posted that when she went to pick her young child up at a friend's house, when the parents opened the door she could smell the strong odor of cannabis. She had asked what should she do, in which a variety of opinions naturally ensued. So tell me fellow CD'rs what would you do? I'm 1,000 percent pro legalization of cannabis, and anyone who has seen my posting history knows it is no secret that I support repealing the federal ban on cannabis like yesterday! At any rate, I've included a poll too. I look forward to your responses, and I'll chime in with mine.

Note to mods... I posted this here in P&C because of the politics behind cannabis prohibtion, and it is indeed even in 2014 with a growing majority of Americans favoring legalization still controversial.
What is the relationship between the child and the friend - babysitting/day care? Did the colleague know that her friend smoked MJ? Was the friend actively smoking MJ? Does the colleague smoke MJ? Do they grow MJ in the house?

[need to know before answering]

Old 12-07-2014, 12:36 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Hmm I'm not sure really. I'm pretty neutral on cannabis but I would not want second hand smoke around my child (or anyone's child), where I live its common to mix cannabis with tobacco so that makes the second hand smoke even worse. I suppose that talking to them about not wanting the second hand smoke around my child would be the best way but I'm in a very similar situation at the moment in that my child's father (my ex) was reported to child protection for using cannabis and I wouldn't have known about it if he hadn't been reported.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Hmm I'm not sure really. I'm pretty neutral on cannabis but I would not want second hand smoke around my child (or anyone's child), where I live its common to mix cannabis with tobacco so that makes the second hand smoke even worse. I suppose that talking to them about not wanting the second hand smoke around my child would be the best way but I'm in a very similar situation at the moment in that my child's father (my ex) was reported to child protection for using cannabis and I wouldn't have known about it if he hadn't been reported.
Why do you assume there was any smoke at all?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do you assume there was any smoke at all?
Fair point. Plenty of people use vapourisers in which case there is no smoke at all. Its just more common in my area to smoke joints mixed with tobacco so that was my first thought.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:58 AM

672 posts, read 810,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That really, really, really surprises me. Over the years I have had students removed from their homes because of pot use. Not other neglect, just the pot. The last one I remember was about three years ago and was a student we recieved who had to be moved in with her aunt. Nice kid. She stayed 2-3 weeks, I think they were trying to scare the crap out of the parents and I suspect it worked.
It really depends on where you live. This country isn't governed equally. Even though it is only legal in a couple of states for recreational use the penalties are drastically different in every state.

I'm not in a legal state for recreational use (Medical yes and everything qualifies.) but just recreational smoking or possession here is no different than a traffic ticket. A infraction.

In Alabama you could get life in prison for selling it. For the same offense that could get you life in Alabama you may get 3 years in California.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:10 AM

672 posts, read 810,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post

I'm not in a legal state for recreational use (Medical yes and everything qualifies.) but just recreational smoking or possession here is no different than a traffic ticket. A infraction.

Come to think about it, That might be better than the legal states for the recreational user.

You have to pay taxes every time you purchase in the legal states and on medical MJ. Here you just pay the $100 fine when you get caught with no conviction.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:13 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
I have no problem with adults smoking cannabis or drinking alcohol; however, I don't think you should be doing either one while minding children. And most certainly not when you are minding someone else's.

What should the woman in question do? Not leave her child in the care of this person again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies