Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:53 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Most Millennial college grads are employed and doing well; however, those who graduate from college in the lowest quartile aren't. Smarts matter, not the piece of paper degree.

The unemployment rate of college graduates ages 25 and older was 2.9 percent in September 2014, compared with 5.3 percent for high school graduates and 8.4 percent for those with less than a high school diploma, according to Labor Department figures.

Young adults with a bachelor’s degree earned a median $46,900 in 2012, compared with $30,000 for those with a high school diploma and $22,900 for adults without a high school credential, data from the National Center for Education Statistics show.*

However, the median annual wage for the bottom 25 percent of college graduates is little different than high school graduates’.*

*Bloomberg, "Millennials Most-Educated U.S. Age Group After Downturn: Economy
By Victoria Stilwell" Oct 8, 2014
Agree and more or less expanding on your point. It stands to reason that those who graduate college in the lowest quartile had also graduated high school in the lowest quartile (and probably shouldn't have gone to college).

I think the problem is that the aptitude of today's lowest quartile is severely degraded as compared to prior generations. A combination of the degraded quality of primary and secondary education (thanks DOE) and the lowering of the bar for college acceptance (perhaps the drive for this not only defers failure for the ill equipped student, but allows colleges to 'grow their business').

College Readiness link

shows (and I think their figures are a little high) that nearly 60% of freshmen require remedial coursework in order to gain a foundation to tread water with post secondary coursework. Remedial course work requirements should be 0%.

Last edited by AKA Bubbleup; 12-05-2014 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:12 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Middle class nowadays as almost like affluent class in the 1970s if you compare automobiles, housing, leisure and entertainment, etc.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:18 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Middle class nowadays as almost like affluent class in the 1970s if you compare automobiles, housing, leisure and entertainment, etc.
This is so, so true! Standards of living now are way higher than what was normal middle class during the growing up years for the boomers, mainly because of cheap, accessible, easy credit. Seems people forget that.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Educated in what? Are they attaining more degrees in engineering, science, medical, computer science and other very important fields?
Actually they are, especially as a percentage of 4 year degrees.

Back in the 70's most healthcare workers did not have 4 year degrees. Most nurses did not. Most of the healthcare jobs that now exist did not, in the 70's.

Today, a Physician's Assistant or Nurse Practitioner can perform most of the functions previously performed by a General Practitioner. PAs and NPs have advanced degrees and with a few years of experience and a willingness to relocate to areas with MD shortages, can and do command 6 figure salaries and do so in their 20's

Back in the 70's most employed in technology did not have 4 year degrees, let alone a degree in Computer Sciences. COBAL paid reasonably well at the time. Those capable and knowledgable of legacy programming skills peaked with the Y2k thing.

More people than ever before are attaining 4 year degrees and it now represents what a former high school degree did in terms of getting a foot in the door.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:44 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And we're lazy? SMH. Boomers will continue to brand Milennials as lazy until the day they die.

Millennials are way more educated than their parents. They're also paid less. - Vox
I'm at the tail end of the boomer generation, and I absolutely do not think Millennials are lazy. I think they were sold a bill of goods--that if they worked hard and got a good education they would do well in the world--that simply is not true any longer. They did everything they were supposed to do and ended up with huge student loans and no good jobs to help them pay it off.

I think student loan forgiveness is an issue that needs to be addressed, and soon.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:47 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
The baby boomer generation ruined the US with 18 trillion in debt

Old 12-05-2014, 08:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Millenials may be more educated, but they are not as smart as boomers. Filling your head with fake classes taught by self-appointed experts in subjects that have suspect value does not make you more employable.
I attended school in the 70's. There was no shortage of goofy classes, back then.

Those women of my mother's generation fortunate enough to be able to attend college tended to pursue " Mrs Degrees". Those who did not achieve their goal of snagging a suitable husband tended to end up in the same typing pool or other low paying positions, like teaching.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Housing? No

lol

Old 12-05-2014, 08:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Boomers know they had it better they just like to complain.

I would've loved to grow up during a time where you could just finish high school and go straight to work and earn enough to start a life. They could join a union, not have to finance everything, and they got away with crap on a summer off from school that would land them in jail with a record.
Then you would probably have had to graduate from high school before 1960.

Those days have been gone for a very long time.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:02 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I attended school in the 70's. There was no shortage of goofy classes, back then.

Those women of my mother's generation fortunate enough to be able to attend college tended to pursue " Mrs Degrees". Those who did not achieve their goal of snagging a suitable husband tended to end up in the same typing pool or other low paying positions, like teaching.
Some of today's garbage classes are what I like to call, "white men are evil" classes. There are "women's studies" and "African-American Studies". There's also the usual dumb jock courses for those football & basketball players who are there only to get to the NFL or NBA while jocks in sports that don't generate money have to study hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies