Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Democrats are losing the rural white vote. In January there will be zero Southern Dem Senators.

Are most miners white and rural ? I'd guess few will vote Democratic in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 07:31 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
You seem to be fixated on the old time mine shafts miles under the earth. Most coal today is surface mined.
You don't get black lug from the air conditioned cab of a giant dump truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9H4Qbq06fg

bill
I'm to lazy to look the stats up,but that's not really true...we have one strip mine around here and a couple dozen underground.

Maybe Coalman can back this up,but I think you can still get black lung working in a strip mine too due to the dust..I know I worked on the conveyor systems at Bridger Coal and the dust would gag the hell out of you and it does while working on coal fired power plant crushers/conveyors/stackers too.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volts View Post
Yep, Biodiesel and it's made out of used frier grease from restaurants. All you want, they like to get rid of it by the 55 gallon drums.
Newer diesels wont run on that stuff because of newer regulations.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Exactly

The older Benz diesels,the 6.9 and pre powerstroke 7.3 and a few others can survive running that crap,but about 10 years or so back when everyone around here started trying that they ended up paying out the yang replacing injectors on the older Duramax and powerstrokes...the "factory" biodiesel is crap too...filter eating ordeal.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:58 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The energy industry and coal-producing states are projecting a wave of power plant closures in the final two years of the Obama administration as Environmental Protection Agency regulations take hold. The goal of the agency's campaign is to cut down on carbon pollution. However, industry groups and agencies say the EPA’s demands are simply too difficult to meet and will lead to powering down many facilities -- eliminating hundreds of jobs and hurting cash-strapped state economies."

'Game we can

37 states will see closures.
170 plants closed/closing/converted to other purposes
72 gigawatts of electric generating capacity going offline (enough electrical generation capacity to reliably power 44.7 million homes – or every home in every state west of the Mississippi River, excluding Texas)

Do you foresee your electric bill skyrocketing now? Unfortunately, it's a campaign promise Obama is keeping.
The energy companies are always claiming bills will skyrocket. In fact, my FPL bill has gone steadily down from a high in 2006.

I realize blaming Obama is a sport, but the fact is that power companies are switching to natural gas as it is cheaper.

"Coal provides 40 percent of the world’s electricity. It produces 39 percent of global CO₂ emissions. It kills thousands a year in mines, many more with polluted air."

It is understandable why conservatives would blame Obama.

"This industry provides the biggest source of campaign dollars within the mining industry, and has supported Republicans in each of the past 10 election cycles. Coal companies gave Democrats only 27 percent of their donations in the 2008 cycle."

So the campaign motto is "keep black lung alive?"

Patriot Coal May Cut Jobs at Kentucky Mines - Bloomberg

Coal Mines Keep Operating Despite Injuries, Violations And Millions In Fines : NPR

Can Coal Ever Be Clean?

https://www.opensecrets.org/industri....php?ind=E1210

Old 12-06-2014, 08:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
I'm to lazy to look the stats up,but that's not really true...we have one strip mine around here and a couple dozen underground.

Maybe Coalman can back this up,but I think you can still get black lung working in a strip mine too due to the dust..I know I worked on the conveyor systems at Bridger Coal and the dust would gag the hell out of you and it does while working on coal fired power plant crushers/conveyors/stackers too.

Dust is always an issue at any mining operation. The biggest issue would be the roads and they have water trucks spraying them down constantly.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

"Coal provides 40 percent of the world’s electricity. It produces 39 percent of global CO₂ emissions. It kills thousands a year in mines, many more with polluted air."
Most of those thousands would be in China and other countries. I haven't looked up the stats lately but on average you might have something like 10 fatalities at US coal mines annually. It's hundreds in China.

Black lung is completely avoidable and this type of disease is not particular to coal mining. It's prevalent in any occupation where there is dust.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM

406 posts, read 283,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
Exactly

The older Benz diesels,the 6.9 and pre powerstroke 7.3 and a few others can survive running that crap,but about 10 years or so back when everyone around here started trying that they ended up paying out the yang replacing injectors on the older Duramax and powerstrokes...the "factory" biodiesel is crap too...filter eating ordeal.
My '02 7.3L Powerstroke ran fine on pre '07 high sulfur diesel. It runs on post '07 (current No 2 green) just as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR1M7ThM-tE

Old 12-06-2014, 03:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
You seem to be fixated on the old time mine shafts miles under the earth. Most coal today is surface mined.
You don't get black lug from the air conditioned cab of a giant dump truck.

bill
There are 52 coal mines in the US that produce at least 4 million tons/year, 22 are underground mines. Surface miners also get black lung disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies