Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,262,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
1. humans are more evolved than animals.. therefore we should be past all this biological reference to what people have between their legs

I was responding to a previous post which implied that they were not.

2. I would agree with this notion, but what determines best? kids going to church every sunday? partaking in traditional lifestyles? the traditional american family is changing fast... so that argument of whats best goes along with a conservative point of view.. that what we got now is best..

If you agree, what are you disputing?

3. I don't want support for my lifestyle.. in fact I don't really care what other people think.. if I did.. I wouldn't have come out and lived my life as an openly homosexual... the point is.. we shouldn't HAVE to drum up support... it should be given under the constitution.. but it isn't.. therefore... speaking out is why we do... anyone would do the same... and I don't think anyone would use children to promote their cause.. because I would hold every gay couple up to the same standards as straight people... I'm not sitting here asking for an affirmative action for gays when it comes to these issues.. I'm speaking out for equality.. there's a difference.. and as for what someone is not meant to fullfill? biologically I can have sex with a woman and have a child... and many gay people do have children out there because they have been in straight relationships... does your opinion of "what is meant to be" mean that we should deny these people the opportunity and responsibility of raising those children.. the very ones they made the decision to bring into the world? I'm sorry but that seems to be a lot like robbing the rights of parenthood from a single parent.. saying they aren't good enough.. or the optimum... doesn't make sense..
I specifically referred to adopted children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,056,723 times
Of course gays should be allowed to adopt. Gays seem to appreciate having children more than many straight couples, who had an 'accident' or take it for granted.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,251,560 times
should gay couples be able to adopt? i would say yes, unless. i would assume that gay couples, male or female, who are looking to adopt are typically affluent and nice people. so this would seem like a much better deal for the children than being cared for by the state or in a state funded 'home.'
the unless part is this: i do have a problem with 'militant gays' adopting children if they are going to force their agenda onto their adoptive children. what i'm saying is, the children should at least be brought up to be 'straight' by default, rather than homosexual by default.

that is the only and probably very rare instance that i would have reservations.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM

788 posts, read 2,106,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
should gay couples be able to adopt? i would say yes, unless. i would assume that gay couples, male or female, who are looking to adopt are typically affluent and nice people. so this would seem like a much better deal for the children than being cared for by the state or in a state funded 'home.'
the unless part is this: i do have a problem with 'militant gays' adopting children if they are going to force their agenda onto their adoptive children. what i'm saying is, the children should at least be brought up to be 'straight' by default, rather than homosexual by default.

that is the only and probably very rare instance that i would have reservations.
I completely agree with you, but I'd throw in that anyone who is going to have any militant agenda whatsoever to push on their kids, especially one preaching intolerance of any group of people, should not be allowed to adopt. But that would mean that adoption agencies would have to restrict many Christians from adopting because homophobia is intolerance as well.

So many rules for adoption! Judging people by what morals they would teach their kids really makes the process so complicated. Meanwhile, kids are growing up in pain because all they really want are a couple of people to love and care for them.

I wonder what's worse: having some kids grow up to believe that homosexuality is ok, or kids with no stable home life? I know which one I think is worse and more damaging in the long term.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,136,945 times
My partner and I used a surrogate and egg donor to become parents. We'll have twins this Spring. We went through an agency in California and we don't even have to go through an adoption process there for the non-biological parent. We're both on the birth certificates as legal parents and no state can contest that.

We live in a very tolerant area where there are a few other gay parents in the neighborhood and all the other parents are very supportive and our friends. Our children will grow up in a beautiful, loving home and go to great schools.

On Oprah the other day, she had two gay parents (man and woman) who married young, before they came out. Anyway, after having a son, they came out and divorced, but are still great friends active in raising their 14 year old son. He said on the show that the harsh words came more from other parents, rather than kids. That really says a lot about this country.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,136,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by militant. We're very normal, average guys with jobs and a house. I don't think our neighbors would allow us to babysit their children if we were militant.

We won't raise our children gay because you CAN'T! Who raised me gay? My evangelical parents? I didn't even know what gay meant until high school, and I was gay way before that. Stats prove that children raised by gay parents are no more likely to be gay than those raised by heteros.

We will raise our children to understand why some people in this country hate their parents - it's not an issue we can just ignore.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,713,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy194 View Post
Well i was having a conversation with my cousins about gay marrige. I told them that gay people should be able to get married. But when it came to them being able to adopt I aint no what to say. I mean I was basically raised by my mom, no dad, i also had my aunt and grandma too. But its different when it comes to 2 parents of the same sex. I just dont really approve of it.

I don't see why not..If a kid needs a family that's all that matters..
IMHO
Carrie

Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My partner and I used a surrogate and egg donor to become parents. We'll have twins this Spring. We went through an agency in California and we don't even have to go through an adoption process there for the non-biological parent. We're both on the birth certificates as legal parents and no state can contest that.

We live in a very tolerant area where there are a few other gay parents in the neighborhood and all the other parents are very supportive and our friends. Our children will grow up in a beautiful, loving home and go to great schools.

On Oprah the other day, she had two gay parents (man and woman) who married young, before they came out. Anyway, after having a son, they came out and divorced, but are still great friends active in raising their 14 year old son. He said on the show that the harsh words came more from other parents, rather than kids. That really says a lot about this country.
I saw that Oprah the other day. I don't usually watch Oprah, or much TV in general, but I was interested in this show when I happened to flip it on. I always get warm fuzzies when kids show how much they love their parents by saying that they're proud of them, even though they get teased at school. Honestly, that was a great example of why anyone who says that gay parents are somehow harmful to their kids are wrong. If anything, the gay mom and dad raised a tolerant, insightful and loving son. I almost cried during that show (which is also rare for me).

Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,197,929 times
In Holland we have a famous (all-white) gay couple who adopted 2 black kids from America.
I believe Paul de Leeuw (the Dutch gay celebrity) adopted black American kids because he was against adopting children from Asia. Not because he was anti-Asian but because he did not wanted to support the black market who illegally buys and sells babies to make a huge profit (which is big booming business in Asia).

Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
In Holland we have a famous (all-white) gay couple who adopted 2 black kids from America.
I believe Paul de Leeuw (the Dutch gay celebrity) adopted black American kids because he was against adopting children from Asia. Not because he was anti-Asian but because he did not wanted to support the black market who illegally buys and sells babies to make a huge profit (which is big booming business in Asia).
I'm surprised I didn't hear about that all over the conservative talk shows here (not that I watch them). I would think Rush and cronies would have been all over that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies