Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,388,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
It is well documented that many kids raised by a single parent have allot of problems in all aspects of life.
Yeah...especially in the spelling and grammar department !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:10 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,899,175 times
Study: Gay unions healthier than straight
published Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A recent University of San Diego study revealed some discoveries that demonstrate how same-sex relationships may be healthier than straight ones, according to an article by United Press International.
The study found that couples in same-sex relationships were more flexible in terms of gender roles, parenting and household responsibilities.

It also found that lesbian couples are emotionally closer than gay male couples, who, in turn, are emotionally closer than heterosexual married couples.

"It all comes down to greater equality in the relationship," Robert-Jay Green of Alliant International University's Rockway Institute said to UPI. "Research shows that lesbian and gay couples have a head start in escaping the traditional gender role divisions that make for power imbalances and dissatisfaction in many heterosexual relationships."

According to the article, the researches concluded, "heterosexual couples could learn from gay couples about sharing housework and child care, using softer communication in conflict, and having more nurturing behaviors toward one another and their children."

Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,117,886 times
Well, I believe wholeheartedly that gay couples should be able to adopt, but that study above is just a sweeping generalization.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 PM

the study is what it is.. it shows that gays are just as able to care for children as anyone else some already understand this.. but such studies are important to set a premis for this debate.. that anyone who thinks otherwise can see that they are wrong.. so the only factor being discussed is really about what the two parents have between their legs... and what a religious point of view has on the issue.. where a man and a woman have roles and that is how its "suppose" to be.... thats really what people are trying to say... and there just isn't any evidence that points to this being the only positive family model for children...arguing this point of view while popular in certain social circles..... just isn't accurate or educated...its merely based in social norms... and upholding a social norm is just not more important than the wellbeing of a child that deserves a loving home...

Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the study is what it is.. it shows that gays are just as able to care for children as anyone else some already understand this...
This is not to say that I don't agree with the rest of your post because I do...but I don't think what I quoted above is all of what the study is trying to convey. To say that gay couples are generally healthier than straight ones...that's just unfair and it's not worth pissing people off. Surely, there could have been another way for sociologists (?) to make a case in favor of gay couples that didn't have to include trying to portray them as superior to straight ones.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 AM

well people have referenced studies where straight relationships were better than gay ones in certain aspects.... so.. this goes to show that while different... its just as good...

Old 01-20-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well people have referenced studies where straight relationships were better than gay ones in certain aspects
And I disagree with those, yes.

Quote:
.... so.. this goes to show that while different... its just as good...
I hate to keep harping on this because I feel really petty (and no one else seems to consider it important enough to respond to, evidently), but it was not arguing that they're "just as good," but better. I just think that if we want to demonstrate that they are "just as good" we shouldn't use a study that has another agenda.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,587,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy194 View Post
yes i know how much. do you know how much kids kill themselves due to teasing of peers?
Would you rather sit in an orphanage until you're 18 years old or would you rather be adopted by a loving gay couple when you're 4 years old?

Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 PM

110 posts, read 57,853 times
I'd rather sit in an orphanage. May be it is because those sociologists have an agenda.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
And I disagree with those, yes.

I hate to keep harping on this because I feel really petty (and no one else seems to consider it important enough to respond to, evidently), but it was not arguing that they're "just as good," but better. I just think that if we want to demonstrate that they are "just as good" we shouldn't use a study that has another agenda.
the point of the study is not saying someone is better than anyone.. I didn't present it for that reason... its to show that EVERY relationship has its strengths and weaknesses... it doesn't just go down gay/straight lines.. it comes down to two people making a commitment to raise a family.. that is what I'm trying to get at... gays may excel at something while straights excel in other area's in other studies.. but it doesn't make one better.. it makes it equal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies