Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,126,435 times

Advertisements

I'll chime in with my support for adoption by same sex couples. I had some doubts about this up until a few years ago, and probably would have voted against it at that time, but I've seen a few examples of where it has worked out well where I was working, so I'd have to say I'm OK with it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 PM

214 posts, read 473,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
lol.... well there's always the pride's of lions and other mammals where the female's raise the young and the males go off and screw everything...
but if animals can see no gender barriers when raising their young.. I think maybe humans could comprehend such a notion... afterall.. animals do WHATEVER it takes to survive.. while we got it easy so we argue about who is allowed to raise kids nobody wants....
a dysfuntional family is a disfunctional family.. if its gay or straight... and both should be held up to the same standards when adopting... gays do not have the ability to have their own kids with each other.. reserving them the right to screw them up.... lol.... but point is.. if straight parents can raise gay kids.. I'm sure gay parents can raise straight kids...

Sense I'm being censored unlike the pro homosexuals here, this may be removed ,but there is one thing you convieniataly left out .....that is ' straight ' people are normal and homosexuality is not normal .

Now yall can go back to your long drawn out lion stories and other homosexual agendas .

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-06-2008 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: You send NewtoCA a DM if you want to ask a personal question...

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,600,135 times
Plenty of things are abnormal, if by 'normal' you mean 'the norm' or 'the majority.' In America, Jews are abnormal as compared to the number of Christians. But we don't then derive from that an unfitness to raise kids. I think 'normality' and 'fitness to raise kids' are separate things.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,902,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Peach View Post
Sense I'm being censored unlike the pro homosexuals here, this may be removed ,but there is one thing you convieniataly left out .....that is ' straight ' people are normal and homosexuality is not normal .

Now yall can go back to your long drawn out lion stories and other homosexual agendas .

MOD CUT
Normal??? LOL.. who's normal? my partner and I have our problems like anyone else, but we both have good careers, and loving hearts... so what gives? do him or I gotta go chop our noodles off and pretend to be what you call "normal"? seriously.. I struggle to see where on earth you are coming from.. so my only option is to believe you're coming from some quacked out religious nut point of view... which brings to mind where you might have aquired such views.. because you're hardly normal for thinking it...I'm sure your perception of normal is sitting in your cookie cutter house on your floral print sofa talking of others as... "those people"... spare us...

Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,119,299 times
The label "normal" implies a mid-ground between extremes. It does not imply "appropriate" or "desirable". Who wants to be normal?? lol

"Normal", "ideal"...how much of your life, yourself, falls into these compartments??

If life were "ideal", then there would not be hundreds of MILLIONS of children (worldwide, not confining this only within our boarders) who do not have parents. Children who grow up in institutions, children who have a caregiver ratio of 1/30 or more, children who live on the streets with no one to advocate for their well being, children who are raising other children, children whose mother dies in childbirth, children who have addicts for parents....come on, it goes on and on and on and on...

Whether or not homosexuality is "normal", or a "choice", the truth is, IT IS. It is there, and no argument is going to make those people choose to be normal...if these people can be good parents there are so very many who need them.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 AM

788 posts, read 2,105,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy194 View Post
Well i was having a conversation with my cousins about gay marrige. I told them that gay people should be able to get married. But when it came to them being able to adopt I aint no what to say. I mean I was basically raised by my mom, no dad, i also had my aunt and grandma too. But its different when it comes to 2 parents of the same sex. I just dont really approve of it.
With so many children out there living in loveless families, or without families at all, I don't see why even the most anti-gay person shouldn't at least agree that same sex parents who love their kid is so much better than the foster care system or abusive parents. I see the opposition as fear of "giving in" to homosexual liberation. Maybe, for once, the kids' well-being should be actually considered first in this case, rather than just scapegoating them for a conservative cause.

...unless the opponents are willing to adopt every single homeless, abused, parentless child in this nation instead. But that's not going to happen, is it?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:20 AM

4,519 posts, read 4,064,482 times
Well I'd like to know a good reason why they shouldn't. Given, that kids live with lots of divorced families grandparents, aunts, uncles, get molested by family members, and adopted kids just as easily get molested by foster parents, what can gay couples screw up that straight couples haven't already. Allowing them (gay couples) to adopt means one less in an orphanage or shuffled around foster homes and being made to feel lake part of a family (hopefully).

Last I checked, gay or lesbian was not genetically linked to being a poor parent. I think this debate is more for the comfort of uptight people who are looking for ways to justify their own prejudice.

One could argue that a gay or lesbian parent may be able to show their adopted child more empathy. After all a kid is probably gonna get some persecution just because he/she is an orphan.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:30 AM

788 posts, read 2,105,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
One could argue that a gay or lesbian parent may be able to show their adopted child more empathy. After all a kid is probably gonna get some persecution just because he/she is an orphan.
That's a good point. Another good point might be that gay parents might be able to teach kids more tolerance toward others, being persecuted themselves. But, I don't think that opening the minds of future generations is a primary concern of "stick to tradition" conservatives.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 AM

8,064 posts, read 17,958,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I struggle to see where on earth you are coming from.. so my only option is to believe you're coming from some quacked out religious nut point of view... which brings to mind where you might have aquired such views.. because you're hardly normal for thinking it...I'm sure your perception of normal is sitting in your cookie cutter house on your floral print sofa talking of others as... "those people"... spare us...
Crap like this is why people are tired of homosexual issues. As I stated previously, I've seen in many places how homosexuals trash single parents to build themselves up, and it offends me as a single parent. And even when religion isn't brought into a discussion, your special interest group calls people "religious nuts" simply because they disagree with you. This also offends me because I am a Christian and your special interest group has pushed hard at my church (Episcopal/Anglican) to bless your unions.

So, I ask myself, why on Earth should we support you and your causes when all you do is trash people? I supported civil unions and such but, frankly, when I listen to your rhetoric and see the way you treat those who disagree with you, I shut down and hope your tactics don't work. Not for RELIGIOUS reasons, but for the same reasons that I always hope that bullies don't win. Have you considered that perhaps people who wonder whether gay couples should adopt children have been on the receiving end of gays' anger and outrage at those who disagree with them?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,304,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I want for the gays to be happy in their relationships and they should be happy BUT that has to be balanced against the development and happiness of the child as well. This is not gay marriage or civil unions that only effect the 2 people involved. You are talking about a child in the prime development years of his or her life. I really think that we need to wait a bit on this for younger children until homosexuality is more accepted in society. We are moving the right way. Maybe a bit more slow than people like but I will point out that, when I was a little kid in the 1960s, being black was not really "normal" either. My folks never ever ever would have thought a day would come where their son would marry a non white woman or vote for a black presidential candidate or serve in the US military under a black commander. We have moved a long way in 40 years and we are moving towards more tolerance and acceptance of homosexuality as well. It just takes time.

BUT, gays and lesbians have their OWN CHILDREN (biologically, through artificial insemination, surrogacy, old fashioned means), every day. It's becoming more and more normal, actually.

I think if you were to balance the "development and happiness" of a child growing up in an institution or being bounced around from straight foster home to straight foster home... ANY stable household, be it two gay men, two gay women, a single person, or a straight couple.... would be VASTLY superior for the development of the child than foster homes and orphanages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK
Even you have to admit the country we live in now is not the same as it was in the 1970s when Anita Bryant and that bunch of idiots were marching around calling gays agents of Satan.

She is the reason why Florida has the most ridiculous adoption laws in the country: Straight couples and single people can adopt, but gays or even someone who identifies as bisexual cannot. Gays and bisexuals CAN foster, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies