Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 AM

194 posts, read 148,808 times

Advertisements

In my experience(s) it seems as though the people who are pro-GMO feel they have the right to tell others what they should and shouldn't want to put inside their bodies. All of the people that I know who are for labeling GMO's feel that people have the right to know, and whether or not they choose to eat GMO's after knowing whether or not a food product has GMO is their own personal decision.

It's just this, "Well I don't see anything wrong with GMO's, so neither should you" mentality that gets me. Would anyone be able to clarify or even correct me if my understanding of this is flawed somehow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Get a bucket. Plant your own non GMOcorn. Get a rock. Stone grind that up and make your own grits.
GMO problem solved.

I could care less what anyone eats.

Norman Borlaug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This guy on the other hand....

"The Man Who Saved A Billion Lives".He is one of seven people to have won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal and was also awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Get a bucket. Plant your own non GMOcorn. Get a rock. Stone grind that up and make your own grits.
GMO problem solved.

I could care less what anyone eats.

Norman Borlaug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This guy on the other hand....

"The Man Who Saved A Billion Lives".He is one of seven people to have won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal and was also awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor.
Today, there are much larger and menacing agendas at play.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:43 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Conversely, why do the ANTI-GMO crowd seem to feel they have the right to tell the world what they should eat?

Nearly every plant we eat (and many animals) has been modified over the years. The corn we have today is NOT the "maize" that the Pilgrims grew.
the wheat we have today is NOT the wheat that was planted on the Great Plains a hundred years ago.
the tomatoes we have today, same thing.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Today, there are much larger and menacing agendas at play.
GMO, especially GMO soy is part of the governments plan to sterilize men and thus cause depopulation. Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Conversely, why do the ANTI-GMO crowd seem to feel they have the right to tell the world what they should eat?

Nearly every plant we eat (and many animals) has been modified over the years. The corn we have today is NOT the "maize" that the Pilgrims grew.
the wheat we have today is NOT the wheat that was planted on the Great Plains a hundred years ago.
the tomatoes we have today, same thing.
Here, I'll re-post what I originally stated and put in bold letters the part that you should re-read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
In my experience(s) it seems as though the people who are pro-GMO feel they have the right to tell others what they should and shouldn't want to put inside their bodies. All of the people that I know who are for labeling GMO's feel that people have the right to know, and whether or not they choose to eat GMO's after knowing whether or not a food product has GMO is their own personal decision.

It's just this, "Well I don't see anything wrong with GMO's, so neither should you" mentality that gets me. Would anyone be able to clarify or even correct me if my understanding of this is flawed somehow?
In regards to all the other garbage you typed, there's a difference between the natural changes that nature goes through over time and creating this frankenstein food in a lab and dousing it with their synthetic insecticides, some of which gets inside the food we're eating. There's a difference between the natural changes nature goes through over the course of hundreds or thousands of years and creating a strand of corn where the insecticide grows inside of it so that when bugs eat it, it explodes their stomachs. Guess what we're eating when we eat such a strand of corn? You think all that insecticide just disappears?

I'll restate it for you to make it clear. I couldn't care less what you eat, or inhale, or drink and what adverse affects they have on you down the road, that's your decision and your right. But my right is to know what I'm putting inside my own body.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:56 AM

720 posts, read 705,661 times
Quote:

Its very simple and uncomplicated. The large corporations decide what you should know and what you should not, based upon their ability to make profits all backed by our political leaders. It has nothing to do with rational thinking or what is just or unjust. Those that support this process has some form of monetary gain involved or is infected with Liberalism, which has yet to be recognized officially as a mental disorder, since this disorder has been allowed to propagate unabated throughout our government and the legislative processes we as individual citizens have no right or authority to question or demand what we may perceive as our individual rights.....

Old 12-21-2014, 10:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Quote:
GMO, especially GMO soy is part of the governments plan to sterilize men and thus cause depopulation. Look it up.
No. You provide a link. That sounds like a crackpot conspiracy theory nutjob somewhere posted that on there blog and you believe it. Provide a link if your going to try and make the claim the government is behind a plot to use GMO soy to sterilize men.

Quote:
In regards to all the other garbage you typed, there's a difference between the natural changes that nature goes through over time and creating this frankenstein food in a lab and dousing it with their synthetic insecticides, some of which gets inside the food we're eating. There's a difference between the natural changes nature goes through over the course of hundreds or thousands of years and creating a strand of corn where the insecticide grows inside of it so that when bugs eat it, it explodes their stomachs. Guess what we're eating when we eat such a strand of corn? You think all that insecticide just disappears?
I think the studies done in North America and Asia have shown GMO to be safe. The whole GMO debate is just beating a deadhorse IMO.

Quote:
I'll restate it for you to make it clear. I couldn't care less what you eat, or inhale, or drink and what adverse affects they have on you down the road, that's your decision and your right.
lol yeah okay that's why you were going off on a tangent about GMO soy sterilizing men.

Quote:
But my right is to know what I'm putting inside my own body.
Let's be honest the GMO labeling is first step towards banning GMO food for those against it.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
No. You provide a link. That sounds like a crackpot conspiracy theory nutjob somewhere posted that on there blog and you believe it. Provide a link if your going to try and make the claim the government is behind a plot to use GMO soy to sterilize men.
I will not. If you're at all interested you have to do some of the work to educate yourself.

Quote:
I think the studies done in North America and Asia have shown GMO to be safe. The whole GMO debate is just beating a deadhorse IMO.
Lol, really? Is that why China cut off GMO crops from the U.S. from being shipped into their country?

Quote:
lol yeah okay that's why you were going off on a tangent about GMO soy sterilizing men.
Yes, I believe there are strong correlations between GMO's and the sudden skyrocketing of certain ailments and conditions, not the least of which is E.D. and sterilization... Even with that said, if you choose to eat said GMO's and as a result you experience any adverse side effects, I personally couldn't care less. That's your business and therefore your problem if you choose not to be informed.

Quote:
Let's be honest the GMO labeling is first step towards banning GMO food for those against it.
That's your opinion. Cigarettes cause cancer and the label has to state that, yet millions of people still smoke. I have never smoked, would never smoke, and at the same time I don't feel it's my business to try and stop others from smoking. They know the risks and if they choose to smoke after being informed, it's their problem if they have any adverse side effects down the road. Get it now?

Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
I don't want to eat food made in a lab. Our bodies weren't meant to digest and process some of the junk we eat today. Antibiotics in chickens and other meats, fish farms being fed SOY? corn grown from chemical additives and wheat engineered to produce quantity, rather than quality. why do you think there are so many allergies today? peanuts, lactose, celiac disease, crohn's... other auto immune issues and so on. Many of these new allergies and diseases didn't exist until modern times.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I don't want to eat food made in a lab. Our bodies weren't meant to digest and process some of the junk we eat today. Antibiotics in chickens and other meats, fish farms being fed SOY? corn grown from chemical additives and wheat engineered to produce quantity, rather than quality. why do you think there are so many allergies today? peanuts, lactose, celiac disease, crohn's... other auto immune issues and so on. Many of these new allergies and diseases didn't exist until modern times.
Thank you... It always cracks me up when people argue that farmers use GMO crops because they're better... They use GMO crops because it's cheaper for them to produce in bulk. They aren't concerned with peoples' health or with producing quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies