Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,730 times

Advertisements

About 3 years and 3 billion dollars later, they are still trying to clean this crap out of the Kalamazoo River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Just because some may support the Keystone pileline, it doesn't mean that they therefore support the construction of all pipelines any where. On a side note, since when did NJ become a stronghold for the GOP?
Are Republicans in support of building the Keystone pipeline in the backyards of Democrats?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
They are free to build a pipeline through my back yard so long as I am properly compensated!
A couple things you might want to consider first:

Quote:
The Keystone XL pipeline has brought the issues of eminent domain and landowner rights in Texas into the spotlight. Some landowners have refused to sign agreements with the company, and in response the company behind the pipeline has filed claims of eminent domain. Over a hundred in Texas.
eminent domain | StateImpact Texas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskhvWC8cKw

Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 PM

FYI:

Quote:
Gulf Coast refiners plan to refine the cheap Canadian crude supplied by the pipeline into diesel and other products for export to Europe and Latin America. Proceeds from these exports are earned tax-free.
Quote:
Keystone XL will increase gas prices for Americans—Especially Farmers
By draining Midwestern refineries of cheap Canadian crude into export-oriented refineries in the Gulf Coast, Keystone XL will increase the cost of gas for Americans.
Quote:
A rupture in the Keystone XL pipeline could cause a BP style oil spill in America’s heartland, over the source of fresh drinking water for 2 million people. Keystone XL will cross through America’s agricultural heartland, the Missouri and Niobrara Rivers, the Ogallala aquifer, sage grouse habitat, walleye fisheries and more.
Tar Sands Action » Key Facts on Keystone XL

Old 12-06-2014, 10:27 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Great.. promotion of a group of true crazies ... were you one of the activist's living in the trees trying to stop the Southern route a couple years ago, throwing human waste down on the worker's. Or chaining yourself to the equipment. Yea... that was real smart and accomplished a lot didn't it? There are actually organization's and people that have a right to be concerned and to take a stand against the pipeline.. But the tar sands action people are a bunch of crazed greenies who absolutely know nothing about the line. Begging for donations. I loved the fact that at one time their "want list" on their website wanted someone to donate diesel generator's and a helicopter so they could fight against big oil. LOLOLOLOLOL.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Great.. promotion of a group of true crazies ... were you one of the activist's living in the trees trying to stop the Southern route a couple years ago, throwing human waste down on the worker's. Or chaining yourself to the equipment. Yea... that was real smart and accomplished a lot didn't it? There are actually organization's and people that have a right to be concerned and to take a stand against the pipeline.. But the tar sands action people are a bunch of crazed greenies who absolutely know nothing about the line. Begging for donations. I loved the fact that at one time their "want list" on their website wanted someone to donate diesel generator's and a helicopter so they could fight against big oil. LOLOLOLOLOL.
Not too nice when you describe Ranchers in the heartland!

Ranchers Tell Keystone: Not Under My Backyard
Ranchers Tell Keystone: Not Under My Backyard - Businessweek

Nebraska Rancher Randy Thompson’s Open Letter to Senate on Keystone XL Vote
Nebraska Rancher Randy Thompson’s Open Letter to Senate on Keystone XL Vote | Bold Nebraska

Cowboys and Indians unite against Keystone XL Cowboys and Indians unite against Keystone XL - CNN.com

Old 12-07-2014, 06:35 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Doesn't bother me. Nor does the wind farm in southern Alberta. I think they're cool.

No, that's Republicans. They said their reason was cowardice, but I think it's just as likely they were lying for the sake of obstructionism. I believe the prison in question, the one Republicans didn't want to use to house terrorists becasue of their cowardice, was in Indiana.

Indiana Republicans To Obama: Don't Send Us Guantanamo Detainees

Wah! It's unfair! How pathetic. So: do you think Republicans in Indiana are really the cowards they present themselves as, or do you think they were lying?
Full of crap as usual. The opposition to the transfer was to let the military tribunals handle the prosecution of the terrorists. Move them to US soil would then mean the civilian courts handle the prosecution. These rabid dogs should never be afforded the protections US citizens enjoy since those idiots were fighting to bring down the US.

As for the pipeline, send it through my backyard.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:39 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
GOP backs Keystone pipeline, but local Republicans balk at one in their own backyard | NJ.com

Hilarious that the Republican Mayor opposes a pipeline through his town because

"It's not a Republican or Democratic issue. We're talking about protecting the environment of our town."

You can cut the irony with a knife it is so thick.
Kind of like windmills for generating electricity off Nantucket? I know, Nantucket is full of republicans.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Not too nice when you describe Ranchers in the heartland!
I don't care if you think it was "nice" or not. Stupid is the only word to describe them. This group was responsible for throwing human feces... yes crap... down on people. This organization was telling little old women to chain themselves to heavy machinery. This organization had CHILDREN standing out on the side of a busy highway holding signs against the pipeline. This organization had people climbing inside pipe. This organization was too busy LYING on their website about the welds on the pipe when it was clear that the pictures being posted were not even of the pipe. (For your information... pipeline welds run VERTICALLY not horizontally). And then when these folks were finally arrested begging... and I do mean BEGGING for bail money. It is a wonder that someone didn't get killed! One lady chained herself to the bottom of a loaded stringing truck set to take off down the road. Thank heavens that someone noticed her before that truck driver got in and pulled away. They'd still be finding pieces of her on that highway.

And by the way.... your articles... are about XL.... NOT about the southern expansion project that is where this all occurred. If you want to discuss the pipeline pro's and cons.... you should first know just what your talking about.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
Pipelines are fine, but they should ideally avoid populated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies