Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
Yes it does.

No it doesn't. That tray with the pizza, corn and cookie - as well as that picture of the cold-cut sandwich look pretty much the same as the school lunches I ate. Not much has changed in 25 years, evidently. Color me surprised.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Sounds like somebody got it right. Good deal!
I was just looking at the website for the school district where I attended - they're doing essentially the same thing. For lunch, 5 components are offered:

1) Protein
2) Grain/Bread
3) Fluid Milk
4) Fruit
5) Vegetable

Students must take at least 3 components but can take 4 or 5 - depending on how much they want to eat - but they have to take a fruit or vegetable. Components 1 and 2 are combined into a single entree.

Every day (for 6th-12th grade) the school offers as an entree choice a hamburger, cheeseburger, cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza, chicken sandwich, chef salad (with roll), vegetarian salad (with roll), chicken caesar salad (with roll), yogurt with granola, and a hummus plate (with pita). Additionally, the schools have two or three rotating entree choices offered daily. For example, tomorrow they are Cheese Enchiladas, Teriyaki Chicken with Brown Rice, and Cheese Stuffed Breadsticks with Marinara Sauce. The school has some 35 fruit and 35 vegetable options, although I'm assuming they only offer a few each day. 3 milks are offered - 1%, skim, and chocolate skim milk.

http://ccsdcafe.org/Menus

http://cherrycreekschools.nutrislice...and-ist/lunch/

Old 12-07-2014, 10:24 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
School lunches have always been regulated. Remember how ketchup used to count as a vegetable? Not sure who was President when idiotic presumptions such as this took place.
That would be Ronald Reagan.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You mean that, gasp, kids don't want to eat their vegetables? Who cares? If I'm going to be forced to pay for their food, it should be something healthy so that I don't later get to pay for their nutrition-related health issues too.

If they want to eat garbage, let them pay for themselves.

It's telling that 31% didn't even have the necessary utensils to dole out a serving of vegetables prior to the law going into effect.
In other words, if you're going to pay for their food (and I highly doubt you do) then feed them "healthy slop" because somehow that translates into a healthier adult that you won't have to pay for (that I highly doubt you would anyway)

Let's also discuss something that nobody has brought up. For the schools who follow her program... they are reimbursed a whopping $0.06 per meal.

Maybe the issue is that in order to meet the program guidelines, that $0.06 translates into healthy, yet inedible crap. What do the schools care if the kids are throwing the lunches away. In their stomachs or the trash, the schools still get their six cents. Michelle and Barack get false data, which is something they strive for anyway.

You make my point exactly. Central planning never has and never will work!

Last edited by steven_h; 12-07-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 10:50 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Originally Posted by Ringo1
School lunches have always been regulated. Remember how ketchup used to count as a vegetable? Not sure who was President when idiotic presumptions such as this took place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
That would be Ronald Reagan.
Clinton also expanded it in 1996 - WTF is wrong with these people?

BTW, the first school lunch programs were begun in 1853 by Children's Aid Society, New York City (a private charity of course) proving that private entities work much better, are much more efficient than central planning.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:11 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
In other words, if you're going to pay for their food (and I highly doubt you do) then feed them "healthy slop" because somehow that translates into a healthier adult that you won't have to pay for (that I highly doubt you would anyway)
I probably pay more in taxes than you earn all year. So yes, I'm paying for both their terrible food and subsidizing healthcare for lazy chain-smoking fatties.

Quote:
Let's also discuss something that nobody has brought up. For the schools who follow her program... they are reimbursed a whopping $0.06 per meal.

Maybe the issue is that in order to meet the program guidelines, that $0.06 translates into healthy, yet inedible crap. What do the schools care if the kids are throwing the lunches away. In their stomachs or the trash, the schools still get their six cents. Michelle and Barack get false data, which is something they strive for anyway.

You make my point exactly. Central planning never has and never will work!
If schools find the reimbursement so paltry (by the way, your numbers are completely wrong), they're free to turn it down and serve whatever they want instead, paid for with local taxes or by charging students enough to cover the costs.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

You completely and totally danced around the question, and gave a non answer. How about answering the question I posed.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
People talk about food waste, and yes, that is a problem. But it's not just a problem of the school lunch program.
To End Food Waste, Change Needs To Begin At Home : The Salt : NPR

Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by Ringo1

Clinton also expanded it in 1996 - WTF is wrong with these people?

BTW, the first school lunch programs were begun in 1853 by Children's Aid Society, New York City (a private charity of course) proving that private entities work much better, are much more efficient than central planning.
Actually, that doesn't "prove" anything. Actually, here's a bit of history about that program:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...%20History.pdf
"The Children's Aid Society of New
York initiated a program in 1853, serving
meals to students attending the vocational
school. However, it did not gain sufficient
momentum to convince other organizations or
municipalities to do likewise"

Early federal aid started in the 1930s. The purpose of the federal school lunch program was also to provide farmers with markets for their products.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:17 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
God Bless Michelle Obama for making nutrition and the health of American Children a topic that is considered and debated across America....that can only lead to good things. Way to go Michelle.

The other area of her interest and effort relates to the families of American Service men and women. Again Hurray for Michelle. As our First Lady she has really made a difference.

In her personal life she role models modesty, family values, respect for parents, and she does it with style and class.

The way some schools serve meals has nothing to do with her....it has to do with limited budgets for education and low priority of children in our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies