Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:49 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Question: What is property?
Anything you have exclusive right to. Example: your body is your property, so you have the exclusive right to decide what is done with it. If someone tries to take your kidney without your consent, or let's say they try to have sex with you against your will, they violate your right to your own body. You can voluntarily share your property, but nobody can take or use it without your permission.

Multiple people can also own property collectively, but that means that they previously made an agreement to all share ownership rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The exclusive right to something. Example: your body is your property, so you have the exclusive right to decide what is done with it. If someone tries to take your kidney without your consent, or let's say they try to have sex with you against your will, they violate your right to your own body. You can voluntarily share your property, but nobody can take or use it without your permission.

Multiple people can also own property collectively, but that means that they previously made an agreement to all share ownership rights.
What does it mean to have an exclusive right to something?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What does it mean to have an exclusive right to something?
Hopefully you're just messing with me

It's when you alone have a moral or legal entitlement to have or obtain something or to act in a certain way...according to a quick dictionary definition of what a right is.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
As much as I have problems with many aspects of the government, I also understand that your property only exists because of the government. You may have bought it and paid for it, but where did you get that right? Who legally gave you the right to buy the property in the first place? Who recognizes that the property belongs to you? That property that you own only came into your hands through force and it only stays in your possession through force. That's the truth of it and it's something that many libertarians and anarchists can't seem to comprehend.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
As much as I have problems with many aspects of the government, I also understand that your property only exists because of the government. You may have bought it and paid for it, but where did you get that right? Who legally gave you the right to buy the property in the first place? Who recognizes that the property belongs to you? That property that you own only came into your hands through force and it only stays in your possession through force. That's the truth of it and it's something that many libertarians and anarchists can't seem to comprehend.
I disagree there. Property rights always exist, so nobody has to grant them to you. To use my self-ownership example, nobody granted you the right to your body. You have it from birth, and nobody has the right to use it or take any part of it without your consent, correct?

"Who recognizes that the property belongs to you?" Anyone who respects property rights, which is most people in their daily lives. I'm guessing you'll say that without government there is nothing to stop people from stealing your property, which I also don't understand. You could defend it yourself, you could hire someone to do it, you could form some other type of agreement with others to help each other defend property (which is what we do now, except it's funded by forcing everyone to pay for the one big protection service called government instead of allowing people to opt out and decide on their own how to protect their property).

Lastly, I'm not sure how my property came to me through force...did I forcefully take any of it against someone's will? Are you referring to the colonists taking it from Native Americans?

And yes, it stays in my possession through force. If someone tries to take it forcefully, there's nothing wrong with defending it forcefully.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
If you have a house and you truly own it, I can't break in myself. I can't give my friend Joe the right to break in. I can't get 100 people together who all agree we can break into your house. It's your house.
Why can't a mob of people just go and take it? Why can't they just bust down the door and drag the owner out and throw him onto the street and claim the property as their own? Oh, because he has a deed? What's that? It's just a piece of paper. What gives it any meaning? The government does. The government backs up the owner's claim to the property and they will use force to help the owner reclaim that property. You can't have property without the government. Without the government, property belongs to those with the most power.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Yes ;I gave a lot beads for it .I have since gave government a lot of beads .

Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I disagree there. Property rights always exist, so nobody has to grant them to you. To use my self-ownership example, nobody granted you the right to your body. You have it from birth, and nobody has the right to use it or take any part of it without your consent, correct?
Whose to stop me from taking possession of another person's body? Why can't I own someone? Who says that an individual has a right to his body? The government. These rights didn't come about through magic. They came about through force. A group of people got together and killed others to claim these rights and we have the good fortune of being handed down these rights.

Quote:
"Who recognizes that the property belongs to you?" Anyone who respects property rights, which is most people in their daily lives. I'm guessing you'll say that without government there is nothing to stop people from stealing your property, which I also don't understand. You could defend it yourself, you could hire someone to do it, you could form some other type of agreement with others to help each other defend property (which is what we do now, except it's funded by forcing everyone to pay for the one big protection service called government instead of allowing people to opt out and decide on their own how to protect their property).
What you described is just another government, albeit a much smaller one.

Quote:
Lastly, I'm not sure how my property came to me through force...did I forcefully take any of it against someone's will? Are you referring to the colonists taking it from Native Americans?

And yes, it stays in my possession through force. If someone tries to take it forcefully, there's nothing wrong with defending it forcefully.
Any land that you have was taken from somebody or if no one had prior claim to that land, you still needed force to claim it as your own and prevent others from taking it.

Let's step back from America and get into property rights in general. I own land in Thailand. The land that I own once was part of the Khmer Empire, but over 600 years ago, my ancestors conquered the Khmer and took that land. Then that land was divided up and given to various lords and over time it was divided up some more and now I own a piece of it. My claim on that land is recognized by the Thai government. If the Khmers were to come back and try to retake that land, the Thai government would fight them to prevent them from doing so.

All property is gained through force and it is kept through force or the threat of it.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Why can't a mob of people just go and take it? Why can't they just bust down the door and drag the owner out and throw him onto the street and claim the property as their own? Oh, because he has a deed? What's that? It's just a piece of paper. What gives it any meaning? The government does. The government backs up the owner's claim to the property and they will use force to help the owner reclaim that property. You can't have property without the government. Without the government, property belongs to those with the most power.
The mob can do what you described right now, even with government. It just happened to store owners in Ferguson. You also imply that if they steal it, nobody can take it back unless there is a government. If it's their property, force can be used to return it to the rightful owner.

Also..."property belongs to those with the most power"...which is the government right now and kind of proves what I was saying in my first post. They can treat everything as their property because 300 million people believe they have the right to do it. All people have to do is stop recognizing their authority and then they're just the mafia.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Whose to stop me from taking possession of another person's body? Why can't I own someone? Who says that an individual has a right to his body? The government. These rights didn't come about through magic. They came about through force. A group of people got together and killed others to claim these rights and we have the good fortune of being handed down these rights.

What you described is just another government, albeit a much smaller one.

Any land that you have was taken from somebody or if no one had prior claim to that land, you still needed force to claim it as your own and prevent others from taking it.

Let's step back from America and get into property rights in general. I own land in Thailand. The land that I own once was part of the Khmer Empire, but over 600 years ago, my ancestors conquered the Khmer and took that land. Then that land was divided up and given to various lords and over time it was divided up some more and now I own a piece of it. My claim on that land is recognized by the Thai government. If the Khmers were to come back and try to retake that land, the Thai government would fight them to prevent them from doing so.

All property is gained through force and it is kept through force or the threat of it.
I think a key misunderstanding we have is what government is. When I say government, I just mean a person or group of people who are believed to have the right to initiate force in a certain geographic area. So basically, anyone assumed to have rights that "normal citizens" don't have. Take away that element and it's just people interacting voluntarily.

As for force being used to take land from others in the past, I completely believe it was wrong. I'm not sure how to fix that issue now, however. You would have to go back through human history to the very beginning and figure out who violated who's property rights...it would be very messy and complicated. Actually, it would be impossible because we don't have records of all human history, so who knows who the rightful owners of every territory are?

I think we can at least start by respecting people's property now, however. I don't like saying "well we don't know if this person has inherited stolen property, so we can't enforce their right to it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies