Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Old people - doing the jobs that the younger people simply won't do anymore.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:42 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

Trouble is only old folks working have kids and grandkids sucking them dry. So how does this help young people. It is not like childless older folks are working for fun

Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The last time I was in Alaka and took a private plane tour, the plane was approaching 60 and the pilot was almost 80.

This information, too much information, impacted my enjoyment. I could not shake a bad case of " what ifs".
My husband, on the otherhand, appreciated the pilot's experience and never gave the age of the pilot or craft a second thought. I missed the herd of wild goats on a glacier because I was fixated on the pilot and attempting to formulate a plan B in case, he had the big one.

No doubt my BP was substantially higher than the pilot's during that flight.
He had to have a commercial pilots license and with that a Class II medical is required. Even at 80 if he has a Class II certificate he's probably healthier than a lot of 40 year olds.

Born in 1922 Bob Hoover was flying air shows in the 1990's when he was over 80 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PftNh_SShlg

Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Yes, there is a lot of sense to this. Consider also, it used to be if you started collecting social security at age 65 and chose to remain working, they would take a dollar of your social security away, for every two dollars you earned. The law was changed to allow older people who chose to remain working to collect full social security benefits without penalty with the only risk being moved up to a higher tax bracket.

Younger people do have it tough. Consider, people in their sixties and seventies got to go to college dirt cheap, didn't have to worry about as much competition getting into good schools, they got to buy their real estate dirt cheap, their were plenty of manufacturing jobs at the time, cars were much cheaper; sub compact cars were more exclusive for poorer people, where now they are for middle class. They didn't have millions of immigrant coming here legal or otherwise to compete for college enrollment, and jobs as well. Health insurance was much cheaper, if not free with many employers.
Some companies used to have mandatory retirement ages. This was abolished in the US (except for certain positions) on a graduated basis between 1978 and 1986.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...80642063,d.aWw

Regarding your second paragraph-it is true that there were plenty of manufacturing jobs up until about 1980. The steel industry crashed in 1982. The oldest of the Baby Boomers were 36 years old at the time, with 30+ years of working left. These people will be turning 69 starting in January. There aren't a ton of 70 somethings around, these are the WW II babies and the later Depression babies, times of lower birth rates. As far as immigration, people have been immigrating from Mexico in fairly large numbers since 1980.
History of Mexican Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Again, this affects those in their 60s as much as anyone today.

Cars were not really much cheaper in constant dollars. In 1970, Ford advertised their Maverick as being under $2000, at a list price of $1999. I had just graduated from college and bought one, it came out to about $2200. That is equivalent in today's dollars of $13,000. You can still buy a new car for that amount.
The 7 Cheapest New Cars in the United States - AutoTrader.com

Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Now thats scary. Hang them up before a stroke becomes a high probability.
Sully wasn't exactly a spring chicken..

(pilot who landed safely in the Hudson River)

Old 12-08-2014, 09:49 AM

998 posts, read 665,261 times
Given the rate that our national debt is growing ($18 trillion now, barely 400 days after hitting $17 trillion...) and the ever growing percent of the budget that is going to entitlement programs such as medicare and social security to fund the retirement of the wealthiest generation ever (the baby boomers), you don't need to worry. There will be no jobs before long, and every one -- young and old alike -- will be "retired".

Old 12-08-2014, 09:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
So, retiring boomers are responsible for the nation's low labor participation rate And working boomers are responsible for keeping young people out of jobs.

What next ? Boomers responsible for snow in Maine and heat in Florida ?
And icy roads in winter......

What an amazing sense of entitlement, LOL!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

Oh, Buttercup. I can pretty much guarantee that you can't do my job as well as I do. And for your information, I LOVE my job. So that IS enjoying life. But you keep blaming "old people" for the fact that you got a job in underwater basketweaving, have never worked a day in your life, and now can't find a job.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Given the rate that our national debt is growing ($18 trillion now, barely 400 days after hitting $17 trillion...) and the ever growing percent of the budget that is going to entitlement programs such as medicare and social security to fund the retirement of the wealthiest generation ever (the baby boomers), you don't need to worry. There will be no jobs before long, and every one -- young and old alike -- will be "retired".
And those are two programs that workers put their own money into.

Why not mention the social welfare programs that cost over $1 trillion a year and growing at 20% annually ?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Yes, there is a lot of sense to this. Consider also, it used to be if you started collecting social security at age 65 and chose to remain working, they would take a dollar of your social security away, for every two dollars you earned. The law was changed to allow older people who chose to remain working to collect full social security benefits without penalty with the only risk being moved up to a higher tax bracket.

Younger people do have it tough. Consider, people in their sixties and seventies got to go to college dirt cheap, didn't have to worry about as much competition getting into good schools, they got to buy their real estate dirt cheap, their were plenty of manufacturing jobs at the time, cars were much cheaper; sub compact cars were more exclusive for poorer people, where now they are for middle class. They didn't have millions of immigrant coming here legal or otherwise to compete for college enrollment, and jobs as well. Health insurance was much cheaper, if not free with many employers.
Things were cheaper 30 or 40 years ago, just like they'll be cheaper now compared to when you're 60 or 70. At the time, real estate was expensive (with 10%+ interest rates), cars were expensive, compact cars didn't really exist yet, immigration was rampant (amnesty in the early 80's ring a bell?), and unemployment was in the double digits.

I know you've been raised with the mantra that if you just get a good education, you can have a great job just like your parents. They failed to mention, in most cases, the dues you have to pay to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies