Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 PM

672 posts, read 810,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Those dang old people. Can't they just die and leave us all that money.

How idiotic. You don't know what the heck you are talking about.

1940's people averaged about a thousand dollars for a salary . Half for woman. $500 dollars a year.

They got to go to college cheap? 5% of the population graduated college. 1950 5.2, 1960 6%
Today over 30%.

Yeah, they had it nice and easy.

In 1960 10 million people made under $3,000 a year. That was 22% of the population. Average salary was $4000. Min. wage was a buck.

While the cost of tuition has skyrocketed and the cost of things such as cars, houses have all risen,. they still struggled and many simply could not justify going to college. They were working their rear ends off.

They are probably the part of the last generation to actually make and produce tangible goods in this country on a massive level. They worked hard. You make it sound like they had everything handed to them.

Regardless, you little snot. It's theirs. They paid in what they were made to and now they want some of it back. What they were promised. It's theirs. Regardless if they are working or not. At 65 you will be lucky to be on this planet another 15 years for the majority. If they want to work and get their full benefits more power to them.

They earned it.

Take away their benefits, force them to stop working. Who the heck do you people think you are?

Put them out to pasture? They have out lived their usefulness. If not take away their benefits so we can have it? You guys and your "greater good" for society can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
Quote:
And you, The vacation one. Step up your game. Sorry they can't. They are to business supporting children and grandchildren who have done nothing but earn worthless degrees and have no real world experiences. That know nothing about busting your butt and putting food on the table. They are all to busy worrying about vacation while they are getting this over priced education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There is no such thing as a worthless degree.
Yeah OK, if you want to nitpick that out of my two posts, Cool.

I disagree, there are. Just as there are worthless schools. I say so. So there

Old 12-07-2014, 10:02 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
From the University of Connecticut I present the Masters Degree in Puppetry! Ok, "Puppet Arts" but you get the idea.

You betcha, think of the big bucks I could make with that degree!

I am still working, paying taxes and while I am full retirement age I've put off collecting social security.

If I quit working by wife and I would start collecting $3,500 in social security payments tomorrow. Who would pay the taxes to gibs me my money? A Puppeteer?
It's not always about money. However, people should realize that pursuits like that are for the scions of the wealthy and a very small number of the extraordinarily accomplished, not for anyone falling within the mainstream 99% of the population.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Yeah OK, if you want to nitpick that out of my two posts, Cool.

I disagree, there are. Just as there are worthless schools. I say so. So there
I was just pointing out that you cannot make a point on an incorrect basis. Just because you think that there are worthless degrees, doesn't mean that there are. Sure, there are worthless schools and worthless programs; but that's a whole other story. Don't let your ignorance support points that you are trying to make. Learn about the topics, the present a concise, well-supported, position.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
From the University of Connecticut I present the Masters Degree in Puppetry! Ok, "Puppet Arts" but you get the idea.

You betcha, think of the big bucks I could make with that degree!
I'm not familiar with that degree, specifically. But why do you feel that someone studying in that program would not be in a position to further the field of puppetry? Arts is a broad academic field. If one wanted to further the understanding of puppetry and contribute to the arts within that context, it seems like a degree worth looking into.

A degree has nothing to do with making big bucks. You're clearly misguided.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

Exactly what jobs are you talking about. There are many elderly working in the grocery stores in my community. I asked one of them if they were working on Thanksgiving and they said of course because they needed the money. With the recession, many lost their job and spent their retirement just to live. Why should they be forced to quit. If you are saying they are selfish because they need to make a living then so what and who cares.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 PM

406 posts, read 283,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I believe it is a time for mandatory retirement age at age 65 to maximum 70. Elderly people (especially those who could for sure retire comfortably) are taking over jobs that our college graduates and younger adults should be start working at. Middle-income and high-income elderly over 65 who still work are being selfish! Seriously stop working, and go out and enjoy life and start spending your money to create more businesses, and lower the unemployment rate and give a chance now to the younger generation. This applies especially to professional jobs. Retired people could volunteer, substitute, or do bunch of other things if they feel "bored"!

Certain professions do have mandatory retirement age, so this is not something alien.

Don't hold your breath for me.....I'll die on the job! I swear it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjeeMww_vhk

Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 PM

TL;DR: don't blame old people. Blame the plutocrats.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 PM

527 posts, read 708,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Exactly what jobs are you talking about. There are many elderly working in the grocery stores in my community. I asked one of them if they were working on Thanksgiving and they said of course because they needed the money. With the recession, many lost their job and spent their retirement just to live. Why should they be forced to quit. If you are saying they are selfish because they need to make a living then so what and who cares.
Re-read my first post.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
TL;DR: don't blame old people. Blame the plutocrats.
Not even. Blame the choices that you've made that put you in this position.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Not even. Blame the choices that you've made that put you in this position.
Yes, you would say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies