Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 AM

165 posts, read 169,618 times

Advertisements

The police and National Guard have failed to protect private property in Ferguson and instead protect only government property. As a result many businesses have been burned by arsonists. Some business owners have taken up arms and protected their own interests with success, while outside civilian volunteer organizations such as Oath Keepers have come to the city to protect what the police wont. The police have also ordered the Oath Keepers to stop their patrols which the organization has challenged in court...

So why do we need National Guard? And than what is it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Back in the day when the militia formed on the square to train it was to protect themselves from wild savages ... well somethings never change.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
resources are limited, even with the national guard on duty. so where would you have posted those resources? they cant protect everything.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
Surprise, surprise. Government officials only guard government offices. Who believes that government is the solution? Trying hard to remember which political coalition believes that government is the answer. Right on the tip of my tongue, almost got it....

???

The answer? You get what you wanted. More governement, well here it is.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The police and National Guard have failed to protect private property in Ferguson and instead protect only government property. As a result many businesses have been burned by arsonists. Some business owners have taken up arms and protected their own interests with success, while outside civilian volunteer organizations such as Oath Keepers have come to the city to protect what the police wont. The police have also ordered the Oath Keepers to stop their patrols which the organization has challenged in court...

So why do we need National Guard? And than what is it now?
IMO......the question is, why didn't the governor send the NG in???

They had been called up.......they were there......they watched.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
I remember years ago after a terrible tornado hit Belvidere, IL. The national guard was called in. There were many looters taking advantage of this tragedy. Orders were given to shoot looters on sight! That stopped them right quick!

Quote:
DUMKE reported "quite a few lootings" on 95th Street in the suburb. "I know Sheriff WOODS had issued orders to shoot on sight anyone who is caught looting."
"I think it's a good ruling," DUMKE continued. "Anyone who would loot at a time like this ......." His voice trailed off as he walked into a temporary morgue in a Veterans of Foreign Wars hall.
In the hall's meeting room, rows of bodies were lined up against the west wall.
Belvidere, Oak Lawn, IL Powerful Tornado Devastation, Apr 1967 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

Old 12-08-2014, 10:06 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
It is my belief that they were ordered to stand down from the governor or higher. The last thing they wanted was to escalate the situation, and have injured, or dead citizens at the hands of authorities broadcast on national TV.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO......the question is, why didn't the governor send the NG in???

They had been called up.......they were there......they watched.
That's the million dollar question right there. The Ferguson mayor couldn't reach him. The Gov was MIA. So where was he, why didn't he mobilize the guard that first night, why couldn't the mayor of a city that was on the edge contact him? Those questions need to be answered.

Look up the Korean business owners during the LA riots in the 90's on Youtube. Black businesses burned. Korean businesses did not. Look up about the black guys who stood as armed guards outside a white owned gas station in Ferguson. Other businesses burned. The gas station still stands. Both of those are "good guys with a gun" scenarios.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:10 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Exactly WHAT would you have the National Guard do?
Many years ago, I was in the National Guard. This was during the period of the worst "civil rights" demonstrations. We were given classes on how we were to behave if called upon to guard against violence and destruction of property. We were told we would NOT be issued live ammunition, and we could NOT have our bayonets. When we asked exactly waht we were supposed to do if violence erupted, the instructors really didn't have any answers, except to state that we could NOT, EVER, injure or kill any of the violent protesters!
So, we advance 40+ years. How would you feel now if the Guardsmen were locked and loaded, and started shooting looters and arsonists? You do know, don't you, that shooting is probably the ONLY way to stop them once they run riot. At what point, EXACTLY, would you say that it is time to fire on the crowd?
I know what MY opinion is: when they put MY life in danger, or the lives of the others in my unit, it is time to KILL THEM!
Where do YOU draw the line?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
It is my belief that they were ordered to stand down from the governor or higher. The last thing they wanted was to escalate the situation, and have injured, or dead citizens at the hands of authorities broadcast on national TV.
Swell! The government refuses to protect its citizens and our property due to bad press! What is wrong with that picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1FhuQSKagg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies