Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't do self check out simply because the machine always yells at me that I'm doing it wrong. After three attempts I said forget it. Were that the only choice, then I would learn what that damn machine wants.

And I don't buy the mags, but I do look at the covers for the entertainment value alone.

That is not necessarily true. When you start a business, you probably aren't going to have every single thing that you ever hoped for with your business, your long term goal, but you can START it on a very low amount of money.

What's even more is that there are a TON of business websites that give you this information...FOR FREE! All you have to do is:

a) find something you have a passion for doing
b) come up with a plan
c) educate yourself on HOW to start up the business as well as marketing
d) stop making a bunch of excuses

For my business, I needed to be licensed, insured, bonded, and then I needed to create business cards, and other marketing goods, and website. For the website, I pay someone, a graphics artist, to create the logo that I would like in the header, and maybe some extra graphics that match my business for various other parts of the webpage.

Did you know that there are a TON of start up graphic artists who will do the work really cheap as they try to build up their portfolio?

Did you know there's a whole slew of websites that hold your hand through marketing?

Did you know that there are entrepreneurs out there who will, IF YOU ASK THEM, offer you tips and guidance? You may not get to talk to everyone you ask, but others will, and that you can learn a lot of valuable information from them? And it's FREE.

Did you know that for some people, the good old gubmit, that the left loves to take from so much, has assistance for those who are starting up a business?

Did you know that you can do all of this while you are still working your job? Even your minimum wage job? It really doesn't cost as much to start up a business as you think it does. Unless you're thinking of giant office buildings, a ton of employees, leather furniture, all brand new computers, etc.

Did you know that around 90% of the businesses in this country are small businesses?

My old boss started his business with $30,000 and an old beat up pick up truck. I can hear you now, "That's a LOT of money!" Not really. He purchased land and a building with that small amount of money. That money also came from his other attempts at small businesses. Those businesses failed, and that was what he had left. A beat up pick up truck and $30,000. That's what he had to show for all of his attempts. He made several attempts.

But instead of whining and crying about how he failed, and it's too hard, and he didn't have enough money, he continued to try. He now owns a highly trafficked tourist spot in Florida, and he can pay his workers minimum wage because his business brings in so many people from all over the world, those workers can make hand over fist in tips...even during the slow season.

Why? Because he didn't give up, he took on a business he had some passion for, he worked his ass off, and to this day continues to work his ass off there...he was there almost every single day. The only days he wasn't there was when he was at some trade show. He's the boss, the owner, and you could still find him on the floor of the bathroom scrubbing it clean with bleach and a rag...because it was his.

From the time he bought that place to the time he became a very thriving business raking in boat loads of money, was less than a decade.

He's now a millionaire, living in a very, very nice house on South Beach.

Stop with your excuses.
LMAO...why aren't you a millionaire living in a nice house on South Beach since you're imploring others to stop making excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
I don't do self check out simply because the machine always yells at me that I'm doing it wrong. After three attempts I said forget it. Were that the only choice, then I would learn what that damn machine wants.

And I don't buy the mags, but I do look at the covers for the entertainment value alone.
Give them another shot, they've been improving every year. I had the same issues when they first came out. Or your store may have gotten the early ones and figured that was good enough.

Quote:
My old boss started his business with $30,000 and an old beat up pick up truck. I can hear you now, "That's a LOT of money!" Not really. He purchased land and a building with that small amount of money. That money also came from his other attempts at small businesses. Those businesses failed, and that was what he had left. A beat up pick up truck and $30,000. That's what he had to show for all of his attempts. He made several attempts.
30,000 is in fact a ton of money for those starting out. Even for many of those who are further along. The fact that you dont understand this detracts from your very reasonable message.

I would add however that that message has little to do with the topic.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sorry let me be more clear to you, your idea of a wage floor that is desirable is far below what the vast majority would find acceptable.
The Wage Floor is not up to me, but it is up to the Laws of Economics, and we can calculate it. Well, I can, you can't.

Economics is not a matter of voting or consensus or fantastical beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Which part of "Wage Floor" do you not understand?

Also, note that it's impossible to pay anyone $1/hour, unless they are willing to accept that rate of pay.
Quote:
Oh look another argument from Mircea full of nonsense, fallacies, and a complete failure to understand the topic.
Are you ever going to answer the question, or just repeatedly dodge?

I was going to ask "What moron would be stupid enough to take a job that would results in financial loss?", but it seems you've answered that.

[quote=Mircea;37571088]The reality is that there are 24 Million acres of fallow farmland and 3+ Million acres of grazing land sitting idle in Ohio -- and between Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Wisconsin there are some 135 Million acres of farmland sitting idle.

There's plenty of work, for those who are willing to work.

What's the problem?

Can't play with your iPad and de-tassle corn at the same time?[quote]

Are you ever going to answer that?

Do you harbor some racist hatred toward Agricultural Workers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Wow, your ego is over-whelming.

As usual, you missed the point, which is that you can buy a home or an apartment in Romania on the national minimum wage of $1.40/hour.

An Indian can send their child to the best and most expensive private school in India for only $106.54 per child per year.

Can you?

Didn't you claim to make "6-figures?"

Aren't you doing better than 80% of Americans?
Quote:
LOL. Look into a mirror.
Proof Surrogate
Substituting a distracting comment for a real proof.

Was it the questions or the concepts that are too difficult for you?

Quote:
Shrug, wikipedia is a reasonable place to look into your claims.
Except many universities prohibit the use of Pukipedia, mostly due to the high rate of inaccuracy and the use of questionable sources, especially sources that are out-dated.

Quote:
I notice you do not dispute that, but instead being unable to form a cogent coherent response, instead tried figure out a way to dodge the issue and save face.
To which one of your fallacies are you referring?

This one...

Red Herring
A red herring is a smelly fish that would distract even a bloodhound. It is also a digression that leads the reasoner off the track of considering only relevant information.

The economic conditions in Romania are not relevant to this discussion.

What is relevant is that you can earn the minimum wage of $1.40/hour and own your own home. The best most expensive private school in India is $106.54.

How is it those people can earn less, but have more?

To answer that question, it requires an understanding of economics that you don't have.....which is why constantly dodge the questions.

Or this one.....

Oversimplification
You oversimplify when you cover up relevant complexities or make a complicated problem appear to be too much simpler than it really is.

Quote:
The following are some prime examples of the "Gish Gallop." They are usually characterized as "lists," titled "100 reasons why..." or similar.
Seeing how you can can't differentiate Income from Wealth, the 5 different forms of Inflation, nations from nations and a host of others, I guess it's no surprise you can't distinguish between a "list" and anything that is not a list.

Quote:
And of course your usual spam about the 17 websites blah blah - something I have responded to in the past.
Got link?

No, because you've never responded, but you have repeatedly dodged and deflected by claiming you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
By the looks of half the population it should be "create your own salad, low fat dressing only"
Well, guess what?

The government just has to integrate its Obamacare medical record database with the kiosks, and there you have it.

Quote:
Our country has never suffered the LEVEL of job losses that are going to occur either.
Yes, it has.

Quote:
Your response shows a distinct inability to understand the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And your alarmist posts on this "new threat" show you might be in need of a psychiatrist.
And AI would help, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not surprised how this thread is going Left Winger by coming up with a thousand excuses for why it can't be done.

The poor are often poor because they have more excuses than drive to better themselves.
No doubt.

The amount of free private stuff is overwhelming. Some groups are religious-affiliated (like St Vincent De Paul) and others like CincinnatiWorks are not. Plus there's "free" stuff paid for by the tax-payers in the city and county that do the same. Free training, free job help, free interview preparation,...anything you need....

....except motivation.

Oh, and what about Clinton's JobCorps?

There's one of those here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Laugh all you want automation is coming.
So is ISIS.

Which one do you think will get here first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Actually, I think it makes it indefensibly callous rather than merely political.
How many people do you employ?

There ought not be a single "homeless" (snicker) person on the street....they ought be staying with you.

What a shame you're so callous and refuse to help those people.

Clearly...

Mircea

Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...why aren't you a millionaire living in a nice house on South Beach since you're imploring others to stop making excuses.
Because I just started.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Give them another shot, they've been improving every year. I had the same issues when they first came out. Or your store may have gotten the early ones and figured that was good enough.
Admittedly, I haven't even tried them again for several years now. Maybe they are improved and that stupid machine will stop telling me about the yellow line and "PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAG" when the fricken item was in the blasted bag. $%@!## things.

Quote:
30,000 is in fact a ton of money for those starting out. Even for many of those who are further along. The fact that you dont understand this detracts from your very reasonable message.

I would add however that that message has little to do with the topic.
The fact that you failed to read where he had made several attempts seems to have escaped you. He didn't START with $30,000 in the very beginning, he had even LESS than that. He had made several attempts. But you glossed right over that, didn't you?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:05 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Anyone remember the old Horn and Hardart automat in NYC? They had the best hot chocolate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrbyqUOObdU

Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
The fact that you failed to read where he had made several attempts seems to have escaped you. He didn't START with $30,000 in the very beginning, he had even LESS than that. He had made several attempts. But you glossed right over that, didn't you?
Nah I caught that, but was a bit unclear as you called them unsuccessful. Being up 30K is not completely unsuccessful, so my perhaps erroneous assumption was that they had lost money.

As I said, its unrelated to the topic n my mind, but a good comment in general.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Sheesh Mircea. half or more of your posts are insults, many completely unrelated to reality, and you want to know when I am going to answer that?

When I am excessively bored I might, otherwise I will refer to the gish gallop that you use in your debating techniques.

You aren't here to have a rational discussion, you're here to insult people and feed your ego. I am amused by your reference that universities don't allow the use of Wikipedia though. As I have pointed out repeatedly, I am not writing a thesis for you. LOL. And you still avoid the actual facts provided.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not surprised how this thread is going Left Winger by coming up with a thousand excuses for why it can't be done.

The poor are often poor because they have more excuses than drive to better themselves.
Show me evidence that everyone can better themselves? Bet you can't but you will continue to blame the poor you seem to hate.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Good maybe now they can actually make the food instead of making people wait half an hour for a flipping hamburger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies