Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We added a million more people onto food stamps this year. But hey, don't that DOW look good.
Now you get it. The reason we added a million more people to SNAP this year is because the money continues to funnel up. And we will add a million more every year as long as this continues to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 11:34 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea I agree. How about making the people on the dole work like I have to. How about taking our money and paying for a home for children, take the baby's away from the breeders and make them work too.
Agreed. I can't stand breeders breeding for the sake of breeding. The kicker is they are always so proud of their breeding practices. Memo: any bonehead can pop out a baby.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,671,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
How about ending all corporate welfare along with ending food stamps? Would you be in favor of that?
Get rid of crony capitalism, yes, I've made enough posts deriding it over the years. We do need food stamps and other social welfare safety nets, for the people who are down on their luck.

But at the same time, we need a government which promotes regulations, tax laws and policies which promote economic growth, not an Obama admin which pushes their political agendas and beats down the economy, and creates tens of millions of new poor, so that we are at a fifty year high in US poverty levels.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:36 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,671,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Now you get it. The reason we added a million more people to SNAP this year is because the money continues to funnel up. And we will add a million more every year as long as this continues to be the case.
I only repeated the same thing I have been saying for years.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM

23,523 posts, read 17,202,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
There Has Never Been A Greater Portion Of America Living On Food Stamps | Zero Hedge

But, But, But....Obama is presiding over an booming economy....NOT.
The threshold for food stamps is lower, food stamps can be used for items other than food....SNAP has become a give away, no longer exclusively for people who really need and use the program and are essentially being cheated by those who take advantage and don't need food stamps.
"
Red Bull
Sugary Soda
Candy
Mixes for alcoholic beverages
Artificial sweetener"

":In some rural areas of Alaska, according to Alaska's Division of Public Assistance, people can use their food stamps to purchase fishing and hunting gear such as fishing line, nets, rods, hooks, harpoons and knives. Households in Alaska eligible to purchase hunting and fishing equipment with food stamps have a specially marked EBT card."

"EBT is not just food stamps, you can also get cash assistance if you qualify. Kind of like how certain places can accept mastercard and visa, they are also able to process "EBT Cash" transactions. EBT food stamps is strictly ONLY for food. But some people get cash benefits as well... in which case, they use the same card as they would for foodstamps. Cash assitance is harder to get than food stamps so not a whole lot of people have it anyway. "

Old 12-10-2014, 04:29 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Packard Fan, let me say to you personally, I am sorry for your situation.

While I get angry that we are even discusssing 40+MILLION Americans on foodstamps, that is directed at a government that is not fixing the environment where that is necessary. It is NOT directed at the 40 Million Americans who find themselves in need.

I want an America with a strong economy where everyone who wants to work can. I am happy we have a social safetynet that secures both those in need and protects those who arent. desperation is a powerful motivator.

BUT when the numbers are where they are, we have a problem and we have a government that is not fixing it. In fact there is more than a little evidence that THIS government is doing what it is doing on purpose.
The govt off-shored the jobs to fatten the thousands of investment funds. This is the same reason they offer services like SNAP. Look who processes SNAP and who owns those shares. They make more on investments from funds than from taxes. Same reason the entire economy is debt-based. In case you hadn't noticed banking and govt are completely intertwined.

Whether joe blow has a job is irrelevant. Investments and assets are what make the wealth. People are going to be what changes this. Can't see waiting around for the govt to do it. Doesn't make sense when one looks at how it happened in the first place.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:53 PM

35,660 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Whether joe blow has a job is irrelevant. what??? why not read up on Kansas

Old 12-10-2014, 05:01 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,537,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The larger the number of illegals or newly-legalized immigrants, the greater the downward pressure on wages.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,892,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Question: does anyone actually live on food stamps?
I understand that many, many people need supplemental assistance, but to suggest that anyone is "living" on that assistance seems a bit far-fetched.

BTW, isn't it time to retire the whole "food stamps" misnomer? No one receives food stamps anymore.
Hard to take the author seriously when the title is little more than a dog whistle.
EBT cards ARE still "food stamps" but, they're "debit cards" instead of those paper things from back in the day to cut down fraud. We still call those plastic things food stamps in 2014.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,892,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yep, both are in Arizona too. Both recieve less than $1000 a month. Neither benefitted from O-care either How do you live on that???
It ain't easy, trust me and I do work but don't get any disability. Tho if 2 or more people pool their money; they can live Ok even if its only 750 a month each in disability plus EBT. Bullhead City housing IS cheap; 500 a month pays for a trailer on its own lot here. Just DON'T get married: that'll cut down the benefits right there.

ObamaCare: I applied and got sent over to AHCCCS because of my BS "wages".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies