Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I expect major growth in the profession of soldier. The investors perpetrating this fraud will want their overseas investments to be protected from local democratic elements. Maybe they could just hire local mercenary forces to save money by not paying US military wages. Maybe they will use their mercenaries to invade the US if we don't go along with the scam. Anything is conceivable. Some things are possible. Some likely.
Serving in the Armed Forces of our great Nation is a honor and privilege Greg. Please, don't degradate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Greatday - not cynicism but caution and experience. I have never had the money to "get out and enjoy" and I will not borrow money to do so. I actually practice the frugality most of the conservatives preach.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
this administration has denigrated the American military. I have not. Never have and never will. I lost too many friends in the Mekong delta to denigrate our soldiers. I am only denigrating the financial manipulators that send them to die for the investor's profit.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,201 times
Default forgot the illegals

Five percent? Ha! You guys ain't counting the illegals let go in construction and other related fields. Now while these folk can't really effect us by claiming unemployment benefit and the like. I think the actual unemployment rate would be much higher number if they were counted. With that real number we could see how bad things are and how bad they could possible get.
unfortunately we won't get the actual number because nobody going to report it.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Greatday - not cynicism but caution and experience. I have never had the money to "get out and enjoy" and I will not borrow money to do so. I actually practice the frugality most of the conservatives preach.
I'm a conservative and I do not preach "frugality" - nor does any other conservative that I know.

You do not have to have a lot of money to "get out and enjoy" Greg.

As I said, Life is great!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
this administration has denigrated the American military. I have not. Never have and never will. I lost too many friends in the Mekong delta to denigrate our soldiers. I am only denigrating the financial manipulators that send them to die for the investor's profit.
This administration has not denigrated our forces. And, this is coming from someone who also served and has very close family on their 5th tour in the ME as we speak.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Even more math:

The housing bust has caused layoffs so deep they have not even been counted yet. Probably can not be counted. Everything from mortgage brokers, real estate sales people, home inspectors, title companies, pest control people, all areas of construction people. This list goes on and on and on.

This recession will soon turn to a DEpression.

Salaries will never again go up unless you work for govt. Today only the best companies are tossing a bone like a nickel or a dime an hour once a year to the poor wage earner.

More and more workers are losing their health benifits so either they will choose to stay sick and possibly die or take a chance and get treatment that will send their family into bankruptcy whereby they will lose everything.

Families today are spending $300-400 a month to put gas in their car. No more extra play money to take the family out to eat once a week. Which also hurts the restaurant industry.

The rich will get richer and the poor will die a slow death.

your being pretty cynical, but honestly this is the ugly reality of whats going on, hopefully we can fix some of the things in the next few years

Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post

your being pretty cynical, but honestly this is the ugly reality of whats going on, hopefully we can fix some of the things in the next few years
I am beinning to think that maybe this is going to be worse than just a regular recession. Its starting to appear as if we are talking about something of 1929 proportions. I read one economist say he expects the Dow to fall below 5000 by the election of 2008, and recovery to not begin until 2014. Unemployment will top out near 30% I hope this isn't true.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am beinning to think that maybe this is going to be worse than just a regular recession. Its starting to appear as if we are talking about something of 1929 proportions. I read one economist say he expects the Dow to fall below 5000 by the election of 2008, and recovery to not begin until 2014. Unemployment will top out near 30% I hope this isn't true.
I think the economist to whom you refer may be experiencing a particularly severe Zoloft jones.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
We are on the same side bchris. Perhaps you and I can see something no one else can. I hope we are wrong but I doubt it.

Look around. Just one quick example that actually covers all trades. When I first got to Vegas 10 years ago, Framers were all making $25/hr on average. Today 3 south of the borders take that one job, they are paid $8/hr and are very very happy with it. So the builder gets 3 times the work for the same price and may the quality be damned. The home buyer could care less about quality so why should the builder.

This example is on a local level, now factor in the jobs that are lost to China.

Another local example: Well Las Vegas housing market is the worst in the country right now but high rise town homes and commercial is booming. Local govt here loves to brag about City Center will create 10,000 jobs when it is finished. Yes that is true but 9000 of those jobs are retail which traditionally pays crap anyway....like maybe $8/hr. Even the remaining 1000 white color jobs will top out at $10/hr. I see this as contributing to poverty. How is this helping the economy? Maybe it keeps 7000 people off the welfare rolls but those 7000 are living below the poverty level. At those wages they are forever doomed to renting in the gettos. No hope to get out.

Like I said before. The only people getting raises anymore are government workers and those raises come automaticly. The day you are hired it is all spelled out for you how much you will be paid based on time served.

Get hired for $8/hr and you might reach $10 if you are there for 20 years.

Get an education you say? Ok where do these working class families find $20-30-40,000 for this education? Student loans? Dont make me laugh.

Benifits? Not the working poor who are making $8/hr. These working class people will be broke when they retire at 90 or till death which ever comes first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies