Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:55 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,907,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm a conservative and I do not preach "frugality" - nor does any other conservative that I know.

You do not have to have a lot of money to "get out and enjoy" Greg.

As I said, Life is great!!!
Couldn't agree more! Things have been absolutely FANTASTIC for me these past few years!

Is everything in the world going great? Probably not but I'm pretty damn happy at the moment!

Thanks for your service Greatday!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,321,348 times
No economist can say how bad things are going to get with 100% certainty, but they are going to get bad. They said to day the level of job growth for last month is the lowest it has EVER been. That is a huge statement right there. Anyone who is attempting to deny that things don't look good are most likely individuals who know and understand very little about economics. I would venture to say they probably do little research as well.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:08 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,054,485 times
The economy sucks bad, I've known that for a while before it dawned on the NewsCorps that hey, it sucked. The job market here in Florida, even with the low wage jobs, sucks bad, especially if you don't have a 4-year degree or some kind of nursing degree or certificate. Places like Starbucks, which I really wanted to work at... are not hiring. I looked for a job for a friggin' year and finally just gave up (good thing my dad has money), disgusted. State unemployment is rising, probably grossly underestimated due to the large number of illegals used in the construction business.

I can ride out only about 5-6 miles and see plenty of subdivisions half built, almost completely empty. Ghost town even. The housing market crash is a big hit in the area, places like Lowes and Home Depot are in trouble and cutting staff (and replacing them with robots... automated checkouts. Another place that is not hiring).

Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 AM

24,483 posts, read 33,188,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
No economist can say how bad things are going to get with 100% certainty, but they are going to get bad. They said to day the level of job growth for last month is the lowest it has EVER been. That is a huge statement right there.
No, that is untrue. They said today the level of job growth for last month is the lowest since Dec., 2005.
Note that there has been 52 consecutive months of job growth and that the current 5.0% unemployment is lower than the unemployment rate (5.6%) when Clinton was running for reelection.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:22 AM

4,510 posts, read 6,751,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Five percent? Ha! You guys ain't counting the illegals let go in construction and other related fields. Now while these folk can't really effect us by claiming unemployment benefit and the like. I think the actual unemployment rate would be much higher number if they were counted. With that real number we could see how bad things are and how bad they could possible get.
unfortunately we won't get the actual number because nobody going to report it.
Perhaps a downturn in the economy would give reason for some of the illegals to leave the US. This could possibly work as a natural solution to illegal immigration seeing as the politicians aren't interested in actually solving the problem.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:48 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,561,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, that is untrue. They said today the level of job growth for last month is the lowest since Dec., 2005.
Note that there has been 52 consecutive months of job growth and that the current 5.0% unemployment is lower than the unemployment rate (5.6%) when Clinton was running for reelection.

Do you believe everything your government tells you? I guess if your government tells you what you quoted then it must be true.

Oh did I tell you I hit the pick 6 lotto 3 draws in a row?

Old 01-05-2008, 12:56 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,981,863 times
The problems in the US and worldwide economy are only in the 3rd inning. Until a more populist oriented USA begins to solves issues like health care and an aging population- everything will remain in no growth to recession.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM

24,483 posts, read 33,188,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Do you believe everything your government tells you? I guess if your government tells you what you quoted then it must be true.

Oh did I tell you I hit the pick 6 lotto 3 draws in a row?
Funny how people believe the figures when a Democrat is president, but when it's a Republican president, suddenly we "can't believe" it!
Keep right on with your flawed reasoning!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:09 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,489,935 times
Default no work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Perhaps a downturn in the economy would give reason for some of the illegals to leave the US. This could possibly work as a natural solution to illegal immigration seeing as the politicians aren't interested in actually solving the problem.

Actually legal and illegal Brazilians are leaving Cape Cod. One of the reasons is no work.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:42 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,262,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Funny how people believe the figures when a Democrat is president, but when it's a Republican president, suddenly we "can't believe" it!
Keep right on with your flawed reasoning!
Not unlike the response of Ron Paul supporters to presidential preference polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies