Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
About a year ago I had a place that sent me a flyer in the mail, which they do once a month. Only this time I noticed some really good deals. I made a list of the things I wanted to buy. I went shopping and when I got to the checkout the price was different. I ask them to explain why. The manager gets involved and we discover that the flyer was two years old. I told them I just got it in the mail this month and the mail date was stamped on it. I got the stuff at the price on the flyer.
Was the mail date 2 years old or current? just curious for the humor of things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'd send the check for $12 certified mail, w/return receipt, and I'd include a no trespass letter informing him that he is not welcome on my property ever again.

And to the person that said that no business wants to lose any customer ever, you're wrong. I've "bounced" customers for a couple of reasons.

Number one, don't ever threaten to sue me and then expect me to do business with you. That one actually called a couple of months later and BEGGED me to take them back. As if...

Number two, understand what the word "estimate" means and don't get wonky when it's off by 8%.
One of my favorite memories was of guy who ordered coal early in the fall, it was a really rainy Fall and at his house I had to go across the lawn. I kept pushing it back even suggesting I'd bring it the first real cold day when the ground was firm from the frost. I guess he thought I was full of it and insisted I bring it, the customer is always right. Two giant number 11's through his whole yard because of the way it was I had to drive all the way around the house, a complete circle.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You might want to look up the definitions of those terms.
It is obvious. Overcharging means charging more than the real price. They did not charge more than the real price.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Having been in business with all honesty it's just not worth the effort. I've declined to service people that have given me hard time more than once and I'll do it again. The best part is when they found out the superior service and prices I provided. I had one woman almost begging me to come back.

No, he offered to refund the difference after the idiot demanded triple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Was the mail date 2 years old or current? just curious for the humor of things
It was current. If it had not have been I don't think I would of got the old prices. Maybe a better discount but not the old prices.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:47 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
I've work for companies that, I could not, under any circumstances fail to satisfy their needs and desires. Not if I want to keep my job. I knew that going into it. They could take their business elsewhere and my job was to see to it that didn't happen. It would cost the company millions of dollars to lose those contracts. I agreed to do the job. There were times I became a first class s**t eater. to protect the company. I surprised myself at just how much abuse I could take. The money is the reason I did it. Most of the time it was a good job.

I've owned my own business and I didn't have to take abuse. But if I did it was my decision. Thats the great thing about having your own business. You make the rules.
But I have never known anyone who opened up a business with the object to bounce as many customers out the door as possible. I know that the family business I deal with here don't try to do that. And I like giving my money to them for the service I get.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:58 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
It's a DOLLAR!!! The average Harvard Professor makes $150k of those a year off his salary alone! Why not cut the small business owner a little slack? The professor is demanding 3x the original price as compensation? You don't see how douchey that is?
OK so you say it is ok to cheat or steal if it's only a dollar.

How about if it is a dollar ten? How about if it twenty two dollars and fifty cents? What exactly is your limit?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'd send the check for $12 certified mail, w/return receipt, and I'd include a no trespass letter informing him that he is not welcome on my property ever again.

And to the person that said that no business wants to lose any customer ever, you're wrong. I've "bounced" customers for a couple of reasons.

Number one, don't ever threaten to sue me and then expect me to do business with you. That one actually called a couple of months later and BEGGED me to take them back. As if...

Number two, understand what the word "estimate" means and don't get wonky when it's off by 8%.

Agreed. I read through the entire e-mail exchange on Slate, and the professor is a complete jackwagon. We own a small business, and I've always said that 99.5% of customers are great, and the other .5% make you want to shut down the business.

We're fired a few customers over the years. Some cost you more in time and aggravation than their business is worth. One of the customers we banned was so upset she begged and begged for us to keep selling to her because she couldn't find our products anywhere else. But we never let her buy from us again. We took 3 years of abuse before cutting her off. I'm hoping she learned her lesson, but I'm guessing not. I think she was miserable and wanted to make others miserable as well.

The professor said this restaurant had delicious food. They should do the same to him- not serve him ever again. It would be a good lesson for him.

The restaurant should have had their website updated, but there was no reason for the professor to act like such a jerk, turning them into the authorities and saying he was considering legal action. He is being crucified on Twitter.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I've work for companies that, I could not, under any circumstances fail to satisfy their needs and desires. Not if I want to keep my job. I knew that going into it. They could take their business elsewhere and my job was to see to it that didn't happen.
There is distinct difference being at the mercy of a single customer than having hundreds of them and getting rid of the bad apples. Especially if your product is available from multiple sources.

Quote:
But I have never known anyone who opened up a business with the object to bounce as many customers out the door as possible.
In my case it was probably fractions of one percent, simply not worth the aggravation when you had hundreds of others and I'll point out once I got a customer I rarely lost them. You have certain segment of the population that are just completely unreasonable in their expectations and it's just not worth the grief. People like this can end up costing you money e.g. demanding $12 when they were overcharged $4.

This professor could care less about his $4. He did this because he's an ass. A reasonable person would have complained and expected their $4 back. To insist on a triple refund is ridiculous.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:59 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,745,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
OK so you say it is ok to cheat or steal if it's only a dollar.

How about if it is a dollar ten? How about if it twenty two dollars and fifty cents? What exactly is your limit?
Pull your thong out of your crack, no one was cheating & stealing. A small business hadn't updated their website. Most small businesses are dependent on an outside party to do web updates. Your conspiracy theory is pure kookery.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
So it's ok for a business to advertise one price then charge another, higher price?
No, it isn't. But in the scheme of things...

But edelman seems to have a severe humor and/or tolerance deficiency. Unlikely to live long, if he gets this upset over every little thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies