Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 05:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not anymore, Weis and Giant can sell beer now. In some areas, the good Puritan residents of Cumberland County successfully sued Sheetz from selling beer in their gas stations. Most of the opposition to privatizing the state stores and liberating alcohol in the state come from the Hard Right in central PA from Williamsport to Chambersburg to Lancaster and everything in between these 3 cities. Both parties talk big on privatizing the state stores, more so the GOP ironically, but it's not going to happen, just like property tax reform. Every state has their wedge issues, some have gay marriage and abortion as get-out-the-vote wedge issues, ours is liquor and property taxes

PA is a shall issue state, not a may issue state, and PA has some of the most lenient gun laws in the country. Not everybody is an anarchist, BentBow

Shall issue and may issue, don't matter. I would still need to go ask permission from another man.
If the US Constitution were in effect in the states and my rights are never given, but absolute, I would not need a permit(permission) to carry a pistol, how ever I wish.
If I don't have a permit(permission) I go to jail and my firearm is taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
In Pa it is perfectly legal to open carry without a license. .
Not a pistol, without a license.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:49 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Lesson. NEVER mess with a states attempt to collect taxes!

Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
PA has really draconian liquor laws. Pennsylvanians want the state stores gotten rid of the problem is there are entrenched interests that want to keep the state stores going and they keep winning out. Governors for years have been promising to close the state liquor stores but haven't done so. The only grocery store that I'm aware of in PA that is allowed to sell alcohol is Wegman's and they had to fight tooth and nail to get the right to sell alcohol.
As far as I know they are only selling beer and possibly wine. You can buy the beer in numerous places, it's not an issue getting it. The issue is convenience.

Liquor & Wine - purchased at the state store. There is a lot of locations but certainly no where as convenient as I've seen it in other states. Selection can be an issue especially with the wine and that's probably the reason this lawyer was selling it.

Cases of beer, Kegs - Beer distributor, these are usually long time family business's. Lots of locations.

Six packs - Bar or convenience store. You can only take out 2 six packs at a time but enter as many times as you want. For the convenience store it's not actually in the convenience store, they will have separate entrance and cash register. This is probably what Wegman's is doing.

Reform is tough because there is lot of push back from many of these places that have carved out niches, Sunday sales at the distributor for example didn't start until recently. The bars had huge sales on Sundays and didn't want to lose that.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to carry a pistol, without asking for permission.
You're mistaken, open carry is the law in PA and concealed carry permits are fairly easy to obtain. Philly is the exception for open carry and that law will be challenged in a very short time. The right to bear arms in Pennsylvania supersedes the US Constitution by a decade.

Quote:
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. Art. 1, § 21 (enacted 1790, art. IX, § 21).

1776: That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination, to, and governed by, the civil power. Declaration of Rights, cl. XIII.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,808 times
A principled person would oppose laws that s/he doesn't think are legitimate either by promoting a change in the law before violating it, or by violating it in anticipation of being arrested, convicted and punished for violating the law, in an attempt to bring public attention to some perceived "injustice". (Given the settlement, clearly the latter was not the intent.)

It is quite fitting that part of the punishment applied in this case is the violator writing a letter explaining the importance of following the law.

Moral of the story: If you disagree with a law, then do the work necessary to change it before you violate it.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Except permission implies the ability for the state to deny for any reason. That is not true for Pennsylvania and most of the states, with no state being able to maintain "may-issue" for much longer the way the courts are ruling.

I can't speak for the entire state but I've never heard of an issue where someone wanting a permit was denied without reason e.g. criminal record. It's "shall issue".

Old 12-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Most of the opposition to privatizing the state stores and liberating alcohol in the state come from the Hard Right
That's BS and you know it. There was plenty of support from the majority of Republicans, that is the only reason it had any chance at all because there is absolutely no support from Democrats. Had there been just a little bit of support from Democrats it could have sailed through. They oppose it because they support the union clerks.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
PA liquor stores are state owned and unionized. This is how the union protects its jobs.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:04 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
To be educated, nowadays, means to be religious.
Especially those who worship the AGW religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies