Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times

Advertisements

Back when I was younger, Baltimore and DC had many dangerous neighborhoods where crime and poverty were rampant. Nowadays, some, if not, many neighborhoods have cleaned up and are now the "hip" areas to live and dine in with nicer restaurants and shops. Same could be said for many other US cities.

I've also noticed another thing: where have all the poor gone? Well it seems like they've migrated to other parts of town, mainly in areas that are still crime-ridden and impoverished or out in the suburbs. In turn, both cities are economically and racially segregated. Quite ironic since the left has always championed the urban areas.

For those who lean politically to the left, I'd like to hear your thoughts about gentrification and its effects on the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 06:35 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I often wonder how badly homeless people are impacted by society's use of credit cards. Even if i wanted to give to the homeless, I wouldn't be able to unless they accept credit cards.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Very quiet here. No one willing to offer a relevant thought?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
The left will not admit that reurbanization is primarily paid for with regressive consumption taxes and primarily benefits the wealthy.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
This isn't really a right or left issue, this is more of a local issue with how cities handle low incomes. Here in Portland we have the Pearl District which is home to high end condos and apartments, yet it is also home to about 25% of low income housing.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Fedgov is in the business of creating bubble in order to make this country seem functional and ultra-rich. Meddling in so many parts of the economy......hyper-inflating housing prices is one of Fedgov's rich-nation tactics.

Guess what, big-government fans/fanatics, on both sides of the aisle, wave the pom-poms for the dirty $h17 fedgov pulls.........or they are too stupid to realize how much it hurts the quality of life for the average-joe.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This isn't really a right or left issue, this is more of a local issue with how cities handle low incomes. Here in Portland we have the Pearl District which is home to high end condos and apartments, yet it is also home to about 25% of low income housing.

The Pearl Dstrict doesn't have all that much low income housing and specifically it doesn't have any significant amount of low income family housing. Downtown has a lot of subsidized single-person housing.

There iis a wholesale migratio of low income people to parts east of I-205 who are being gentrified out of other arts of Portland.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The Pearl Dstrict doesn't have all that much low income housing and specifically it doesn't have any significant amount of low income family housing. Downtown has a lot of subsidized single-person housing.

There iis a wholesale migratio of low income people to parts east of I-205 who are being gentrified out of other arts of Portland.

But the liberals mean well.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Back when I was younger, Baltimore and DC had many dangerous neighborhoods where crime and poverty were rampant. Nowadays, some, if not, many neighborhoods have cleaned up and are now the "hip" areas to live and dine in with nicer restaurants and shops. Same could be said for many other US cities.

I've also noticed another thing: where have all the poor gone? Well it seems like they've migrated to other parts of town, mainly in areas that are still crime-ridden and impoverished or out in the suburbs. In turn, both cities are economically and racially segregated. Quite ironic since the left has always championed the urban areas.

For those who lean politically to the left, I'd like to hear your thoughts about gentrification and its effects on the poor.
In Philly, the poor are being pushed (by section 8) into the northeast. Look at the increased violent crime rate statistics over the past 15 years in NE philly.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

The Pearl District is 25% low income housing, what do you mean it doesn't have all that much low income housing? It was suppose to be 33%, but the original plan for the Pearl District was also suppose to have about a half of the amount of units that it has today.

Yes, East Portland is seeing an increase of people looking for more affordable housing, but that doesn't mean there aren't low income housing mixed throughout the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies