Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should atheists / atheism be outlawed in the USA?
Yes 6 5.77%
Revoke their citizenship / no public office only 2 1.92%
No 96 92.31%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 01:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefragile

I think what the answer is going to be is "God
has his plan" or "There is a reason for all of this suffering". Uh huh.
"God works in mysterious ways."

How convenient!

Old 12-11-2014, 01:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
God gave everyone a free will. If someone wants to be their own god it is their right. However it will not go well with them if they allow every idea and thought to be rationalized in their mind without any limits or boundaries because of their atheism.
So you think an atheist thinks s/he is god? Clue - study up on the differences between atheism and schizophrenia. It will help your mental clarity.

Quote:
Morality can change with the times and everything can be rationalized as being acceptable because of man's capacity to err or do evil.
Yes, morality does change with the times, for which I am deeply and profoundly grateful. As an older, solitary, non-comformist woman who loves cats, especially black ones, and has a bit of property, five hundred years ago, morality would have required that my christian neighbors burn me at the stake.

Quote:
Deep beliefs of a God creator and that wisdom that good and evil do exist and the reap what you sow belief will keep many from destroying themselves and the people around them.
If your belief in god is the only thing that keeps you from committing evil, I sincerely hope you continue to believe in god. I will just note that I haven't even had a speeding ticket in over 30 years, much less robbed a gas station or a bank, and I didn't need god to tell me to refrain from doing those things.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I propose a new law. Every community that wants a religious display in a public setting make one rule. Everyone can have one but there can be no writing on the display. Zero. Nada. What are the atheists going to display, an empty frame?
Actually, an empty frame isn't a bad idea! - very zen.

I would display a moving hologram of dna. Or an image from hubble, with music.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
In fact, there should be more lawsuits to eliminate public oaths ending in 'So help me God', 'In the year of our Lord' , and such. Maybe when someone takes "the oath" instead of placing their hands on a bible we should connect their bits up to a combination lie detector and shock machine (it would be just as effective).
Do you know of any place that requires a bible for swearing? I have been under the impression that a holy book and the word god have been optional at the federal level ever since george washington was first sworn in, and that none of the state requirements are enforceable.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Atheists have a superior than anyone religious attitude and mock the religious for believing yet neither the atheist and science combined can explain what was before time began, the origin of existence, nor describe where the universe ends and what is on the other side.
That's right, we don't make up stories to answer questions, we wait for evidence.

Saying "I don't know" is one of the most mentally freeing exercises possible. I hope one day you will come to see how truly wonderful it is to live in an enormous universe full of mysteries to be encountered and understood.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-11-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 02:03 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well God has provided the proof, and the evidence of his existence, which is all around you, the creation itself.

But your free to acknowledge or deny that evidence, because he gave man free will.
That is not proof. That is blind faith. There is zero proof of creation or of a god.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:03 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Atheists just believe in one fewer deity than you do.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:13 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Here's the difference:

If an atheist says to me, "I don't believe in God", I never say, "YOU'RE SUCH AN IDIOT! DO SOME RESEARCH YOU MORON!" I ask why.

But from what I HAVE experienced, (apparently I need to repeat that since some people fail to understand what that means, 'from what I HAVE experienced'), someone leaves a comment saying something like, "It's a miracle! God saved that child!" all the atheists come out of the wood work to start insulting anyone who says they believe in God. I see it all. the. time.

I don't really care what you believe or don't believe. All I care about is that BECAUSE NONE OF US ACTUALLY KNOW, then maybe we should all just chill the F out on insisting only they are right and everyone else is an idiot.
I cannot recall how many Christians have berated me and condemned me to their Hell for not believing in their God. I have been called a sinner by some of the most righteous people, who then proceed to tell me that I have to read their bible and then I will Believe in God. I have been told that I will know in the end that their is a god. When I see posts on Facebook from friends or family to ask for prayer, I choose to remain out of that converstation and not interject my views. I do not believe in a god, have never attacked or demeaned any religious persons views or beliefs, but I have been likewise condemned and demeaned by some of these same people.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Atheists just believe in one fewer deity than you do.
That must be the sound of one hand clapping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies