Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:29 AM

174 posts, read 117,481 times

Advertisements

House Republicans are pushing to add nearly 100 different policy riders to the omnibus spending bill, stalling it shortly before Thursday’s deadline.

The greatest opposition has risen to a rider that would gut a provision requiring Citigroup and other major Wall Street banks to segregate trading of certain risky derivatives known as swaps from government-insured banking. These cute little profit centers were the ones that were primarily responsible for our last economic melt-down. The banks, and apparently the majority of the GOP believe that they should be able to gamble with the economy one more time.

They are also trying to raise the personal political contribution levels. Last year's maximum or $32,400 would increase by $291,600 to a total of $324,000, ten times the current limit.

Even though I am NOT happy with the direction taken by the Democratic Party over the last few decades, I still have to admit they do a better job representing me and my interests better than the GOP does.

When will you dolts realize that unless you are one of the 1%, you are not being represented by government. They use fear, religion and lies to con you into selling yourself down the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
The modern Democratic Party represents the One percent and the bottom 20 percent.

The Rs represent the top ten percent.

If you are in between, you are taxed and have no representation.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
This is textbook Washington: use a must pass bill on the eve of the holidays as a vehicle for changing unrelated policies. As it relates to taking the some of the teeth out of Dodd- Frank, the legislation was primarily written by Citibank's lobbyists. As I understand it, it seeks to once again require FDIC to insure risky business.

Romney was a strong supporter of this and the repeal of Dodd - Frank, legislation that was previously substantially diluted through compromise.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Who does the GOP work for again?

Exactly how does raising the individual contribution limit beyond what 99% of America make in a year and allowing more dangerous banking activity that destroyed the economy in the first place help Johnny /gun loving/god fearing/illegal immigration hating dude? You know, that guy who votes Republican?

Is the spin on this that it will somehow "create jobs"? It will definitely create wealth for bankers and wall st lobbyists.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:32 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
I expect 50-60% of my income in retirement will be from the same source as the 1%ers get the majority of their income, stock appreciation. What is good for the 1%ers is good for me.

When liberals wail about the 1%ers they are really wailing against capitalism. When they attack the free market they are really attacking freedom itself. The root cause of the economic crisis of 2008 was liberal government policies that led to both an overvaluation of housing and low equity among home owners. A dangerous combination. When I was a realtor I could get someone with a 540 credit score in a home for less than 1K.

Now explain how the party of the illegal immigrant and the welfare bum benefits working Americans.

Last edited by whogo; 12-11-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 07:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoris View Post
House Republicans are pushing to add nearly 100 different policy riders to the omnibus spending bill, stalling it shortly before Thursday’s deadline.

The greatest opposition has risen to a rider that would gut a provision requiring Citigroup and other major Wall Street banks to segregate trading of certain risky derivatives known as swaps from government-insured banking. These cute little profit centers were the ones that were primarily responsible for our last economic melt-down. The banks, and apparently the majority of the GOP believe that they should be able to gamble with the economy one more time.

They are also trying to raise the personal political contribution levels. Last year's maximum or $32,400 would increase by $291,600 to a total of $324,000, ten times the current limit.

Even though I am NOT happy with the direction taken by the Democratic Party over the last few decades, I still have to admit they do a better job representing me and my interests better than the GOP does.

When will you dolts realize that unless you are one of the 1%, you are not being represented by government. They use fear, religion and lies to con you into selling yourself down the river.
How does this NOT represent you? How do these policies adversely affect you? You exist in a vacuum when it comes to national policies dealing with financial trading rules and campaign finance contributions. You dislike the policy but neither of them actually directly affect you or your pocketbook. So why the angst?

Old 12-11-2014, 07:41 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Allowing the wealthy to buy politicians is not my definition of freedom.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:40 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
When liberals wail about the 1%ers they are really wailing against capitalism.
True

Quote:
When they attack the free market they are really attacking freedom itself.
Liberals are attacking the freedom to own other people. They're defending the freedom to work hard for a decent wage to support your family.

Quote:
The root cause of the economic crisis of 2008 was liberal government policies that led to both an overvaluation of housing and low equity among home owners. A dangerous combination. When I was a realtor I could get someone with a 540 credit score in a home for less than 1K.
The root cause was financial regulatory capture, allowing banks to peel back post-Depression legal safeguards and take on unprecedented financial risks in the pursuit of higher returns. "Liberal government policies" had nothing to do with it, Conservative regulatory rollback allowed banks to pursue homeowners who shouldn't own homes. The myth that banks were forced to make bad loans by liberal government has been thoroughly debunked.

Quote:
Now explain how the party of the illegal immigrant and the welfare bum benefits working Americans.
Illegal immigrants and welfare recipients are the hardest-working demographics in America. (Seriously, basically everyone on welfare who can work, does work, and at harder and lousier jobs than most Americans would dream of doing.)

Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
True

No use reading any farther. Capitalism is the only system that actually removes people from dire poverty,

Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Them that has, gets. This has been the way of the world forever.

Now what can we do about that so we can treat big business just like any other set of frauds, cheats and thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies