Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government mandate paid maternity leave?
Yes 29 20.71%
No 82 58.57%
Only the current unpaid leave (FMLA) 29 20.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

What, exactly, am I making up?

Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Consider You own a company then Ask yourself why do you hire people?
You hire them to do a job. This means they do something to benefit your business. I personally take this to mean they are doing me a service and that I would then be morally obligated to offer a service back. Their relationship to me is that they do work I assign them to benefit my company. My relationship to them is that I pay them to sustain themselves and any other expenses they may have.

It's an issue of respect. Me and my business's profits are not the only thing that matter. I would respect my employees as ends, by offering them reasonable compensation and minimal hindrance on their personal life (none ideally). To me, this may mean offering some benefits. Decent health insurance, reasonable vacation time, and paid maternity leave when needed. Yeah, it's their decision to have a kid. So? It's also their decision to work for me and MY decision to hire them. In this scenario where I am the business owner, I answer to no one. I pay myself what I want and could theoretically leave work at any time. In other words, I have no real hindrances on my personal endeavors. Why should I be ok with doing that to my employees?

Don't get me wrong, some jobs deserve more than others. And even some people deserve more for doing the same jobs. But I do not feel it is the right of an employer to withhold certain freedoms from their employees on the basis of company profit. Employees are an expensive recourse. If you can't afford to hire someone AND treat them as people, then don't hire them. You're wasting their time and that is unfair. That's treating them as a mere means, which is morally wrong.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Basically, the U.S. companies don't give a damn about workers.

Greed, baby, greed. **** Ronald Reagan.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh, for the love of God!!

Imagine this scenario. I work in the kitchen of a nursing home. I get pregnant. I can get a short unpaid leave, but I can't afford to live for several months with no money coming in. After I give birth, I can't afford to put the infant in daycare because costs are prohibitive. All my salary goes to daycare and there's nothing left over for rent. So I quit and go on welfare, because it's my only option.

Don't come back with "Well, if you can't afford children, you shouldn't have them."
We both know that "should" does not translate into real life. People will get pregnant whether you like it or not, despite all the howling of what they "should" do.

Here, the women get a year of paid mat leave, and then they have government subsidized daycare so they can afford to go back to work. And they do.
Where's your husband in all this?

Old 12-12-2014, 11:47 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
What, exactly, am I making up?
You just made up a story starring a highly irresponsible woman who can't say no to the high hard one.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:00 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Oh, for the love of God!!

Imagine this scenario. I work in the kitchen of a nursing home. I get pregnant. I can get a short unpaid leave, but I can't afford to live for several months with no money coming in. After I give birth, I can't afford to put the infant in daycare because costs are prohibitive. All my salary goes to daycare and there's nothing left over for rent. So I quit and go on welfare, because it's my only option.

Don't come back with "Well, if you can't afford children, you shouldn't have them."
We both know that "should" does not translate into real life. People will get pregnant whether you like it or not, despite all the howling of what they "should" do.

Here, the women get a year of paid mat leave, and then they have government subsidized daycare so they can afford to go back to work. And they do.
The obvious question is why you and your husband didn't plan accordingly. How did you plan to get by on one income rather than 2? How did you plan for child care before and during your pregnancy? How much money did the 2 of you set aside to cover the added costs of having a child?

Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If that is true, then most Americans must be stupid, backward or both.

The United States is part of a very exclusive group – but not for the reasons you might suspect. It shares the spotlight with Papua New Guinea, Swaziland, Liberia and Lesotho as one of the only countries in the world that doesn’t mandate some type of paid maternity leave for new mothers according to a study done by McGill University’s Institute for Health and Social Policy. In fact, when compared to its northern neighbour, the U.S. maternity leave policy is embarrassingly sparse.

Maternity leave basics: Canada vs. the U.S. - The Globe and Mail
Yes we are stupid because our culture, customs and beliefs are different from yours.... everyone must bow down and must be like Canada! if not... you are stupid and backwards!!!

You guys are welcome to contribute to an American political thread all you want but it makes you all look pretty ignorant when you come in here, tell us to enact policies we don't want to enact and call us stupid because we don't want to.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:23 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
USA the only western/industrial country in the world with no mandatory.....

- Universal healthcare
- Paid/Unpaid holidays
- Paid/Unpaid sick days
- Paid/Unpaid vacation
- Paid maternity leave (90 days of unpaid leave under 'FMLA' if company has 50+ employees).

USA is truly the worst western country in the world when it comes to family/life balance and labor laws and protection.... So sad! Republicans should be ashamed, as should corporates and the congress! Wealthy people the only one's who are lucky and could afford staying home! :/

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
Leave it up to the employer. Move to another country if you find America so bad.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:40 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Either parent can stay home now via FMLA.
Mindless tools have no concept of the fact. They instead choose to whine and cry about perceived imaginary injustices.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Mindless tools have no concept of the fact. They instead choose to whine and cry about perceived imaginary injustices.
12 weeks unpaid. There are few families that can really afford that.

I worked manufacturing in a right-to-work state and woe be to any women who found herself pregnant during her first 90 days on the job. That was an automatic firing.

6 months may be a bit much, we need something mandated. It's unbelievable that the party of family values isn't ahead of this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies