Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The 12 year old boy's death who was shot in Cleveland by Police was ruled a homicide.
Cleveland has a very high crime rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
So what?

The cops will walk. The prosecution will not indict.

The system is corrupt as hell.
And the cop should walk. The "boy" was 5' 7" and weighed 195 lbs, so he didn't look like a kid. The boy had a gun that was an exact replica of a real gun that he refused to drop. Too bad there is a video, so "witnesses" won't be able to lie and say he dropped the gun well before the kid was shot.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And can include accidental death.
Homicide by misadventure

Old 12-12-2014, 02:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What first world countries are you talking about?
Singapore for starters, and I don't know about you, but I don't think of Saudi as being anything but a first world country.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:17 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Guilty of what?

We use to run all over the neighborhood, playing cowboys and indians(I was always the indian) and cops and robbers.

The kids today in our neighborhood now, have a big airsoft war, about once a month.
My kids did the same thing but NEVER in a million million years would I let them take airsoft guns to a city park in one of the rougher parts of the metro area I live in and assume all would be well.

I've lived in towns with 5000 and towns with >5million and in between and am as you know pro-gun.

Those guns are used to commit robberies in bad neighborhoods and gun holders for the gangs are often young as they don't face adult charges.

Let's just say I'd rather put on a seal suit and be drug across San Francisco Bay than walk around a park on the south side of chicago pointing an airsoft gun at joggers etc.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:32 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Police officers are the law, so this will still go unpunished. Eric Garner's death was also ruled as a homicide, and we had that entire event on video. We could all see how much aggression the cops exerted. And nothing happened. What makes this different?
It means you still don't understand the meaning of "local civilian control."

A store clerk shoots and kills an armed robber. The police refuse to file charges. The coroner declares it s "justifiable homicide." The gran jury refuses to indict. The prosecutor refuses to prosecute.

But the store clerk still gets fired for violating the company policies.

Are the police under local union control? Or local civilian control?

You need to decide.

Wait until the politicians unionize.

Be a great political system, no?

Can't have elections, unless a politician is indicted or convicted.

I'll certainly be looking forward to that...

Mircea

Old 12-12-2014, 03:54 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
I don't think you know what homocide means.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Just spreading along information.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to this case with all that's going on. Does the homicide ruling stengthen the case for a civil suit?
No.

But, they won't need it........they have a good case.

They will get some money.

So will the Garners.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The NYC coroner found Eric Garner was murdered.

Eric Garner's Death Ruled A Homicide By NYC Medical Examiner: Gothamist

Didn't do his parents and kids any good....
It will.

They will get some good money from this......not the 75 million they are filling for.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
In defense of the cops in this case, the toy gun looked just like a real gun and the dispatch didn't pass onto the responding cops that the caller said it may be a toy. The video is very grainy and so is hard to see if the kid raised his gun towards the officers. If he did raise the gun, then the shooting was justified. In other recent cases, the problem wasn't the minor crime committed. The problem is the suspect attacking the cop. Yes, cops do harass and wrongly arrest suspects. However, fighting an armed police officer on the street isn't the answer. Your goal is to live. You comply with instructions and fight the officer/charges calmly in court. You're more likely to beat the charges if you don't have those additional charges of resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer. Members of my white family have had run ins with the police. Those that acted according to police instructions in a respectful and non-threatening manner were either let off easy or were arrested with no beatings. A few fought back and got beaten up then sent to Angola prison. They could have been shot but they stopped fighting when gun a was drawn. Michael Brown fought the officer back into the officer's vehicle, was shot in self defense by the officer, left, and then came back at the officer. No shots were fired into his back and he was under the influence of drugs.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I take a back seat to no one when it comes to being anti-cop, but we really need to stop and think clearly about these cases of cops shooting black people. In the case of Michael Brown, it is well-proven that he tried to snatch the cops gun. His blood was on the gun from when he tried to snatch it, and it went off and hit him in the hand. It still baffles me that people can think this is somehow racism. Normal people of any hue do not try to snatch a cop's sidearm.

This case in Cleveland sounds like just a tragedy. If the kid had a gun that looked real, and refused to drop it, what is the cop supposed to do? Wait to get shot to decide whether it's a real gun or not?

I have been in this situation years ago as a graveyard shift convenience store clerk. A guy tried to rob me; he lifted his shirt to reveal a gun that was stuck way down into his waistband. I only got a quick glance at it, but I believe it was probably a toy or BB gun. I had my Glock 19 in an IWB holster, and knew that I would have 3 holes in him before he could retrieve his gun, toy or not, stuck deep in his front waistband and impeded by pounds of blubber, so I declined to give him any money.

Fortunately for both of us, he made the right call and ran out of the store instead of drawing his gun. But if he had gone for his gun I would have shot him. You just don't have time to wait around and find out whether the gun is real or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies