Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:42 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Studies have shown that the average self-identified liberal is more affluent and has more and higher college degrees than the average conservative. These sorts of statements have often been part of a "Liberals are better educated" headline.

My question is: are liberals really better educated? Or do they just tend to have more university degrees?

I ask this question because I differentiate between schooling and education/real life experience.
Universities are hotbeds of liberalism...stands to reason kids going in are not coming out more Conservative. Those kids skipped college and went out and started a business and are actually working in the economy.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:55 PM

406 posts, read 283,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm going to comment based on my personal experience, which is rare.

I know many liberals and call them friends. They are very educated and good, kind people. Do I think they are smarter? Some may have gone to a better school than me, but they are not more analytical. Never. In fact, emotion rules them over facts every time when we discuss political issues. I find it better to retreat in those discussions as I value facts.
I'm a republican and I ALWAYS wear my emotions on my sleeve. But then again so does Phil Anselmo and most U.S. Marines...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-V8kYT1pvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKPpNArrdg

Old 12-13-2014, 05:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Studies have shown that the average self-identified liberal is more affluent and has more and higher college degrees than the average conservative. These sorts of statements have often been part of a "Liberals are better educated" headline.

My question is: are liberals really better educated? Or do they just tend to have more university degrees?

I ask this question because I differentiate between schooling and education/real life experience.
It would not surprise me given that education is liberal in this country. However that doesn't mean they are smarter.

I learned fast not to talk politics when I was in college. I was outnumbered. I wasn't out thought, however, but there was no shortage of people willing to openly attack me for having a more conservative point of view. I don't discuss politics as a teacher either for the same reason. The amount of anger that liberals have for conservatives is scary at times. The do not like anyone who disagrees with them.

There are a hand full of conservative teachers in my school but we never state our opinion. There is no shortage of liberal teachers who will preach their opinion openly in the staff room. We're all just supposed to agree. Life is easier if I pretend I do.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Still another pointless, anti-education thread. Why so many find others being more educated threatening, and fail to act on it, by acquiring more education themselves, eludes me. Oh..that would be work. Got it.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 PM

You've got to work twice as hard, be as blunt as possible, and do it as quickly as possible to stand any chance of the other side overrunning you.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Still another pointless, anti-education thread. Why so many find others being more educated threatening, and fail to act on it, by acquiring more education themselves, eludes me. Oh..that would be work. Got it.
It's not anti-education to admit that education is very liberal and caters to liberals. If you're not liberal, it's best to just keep quiet. Interestingly, for all the talk about how liberals are well educated, I didn't find too many fellow students I could actually have an intelligent conversation with when I was in school. Most of my classmates just did what they were told and never questioned why. I was the why student. I spent a lot of time debating points with professors in their offices. IME, the difference between a liberal and a conservative is the conservative actually knows why they believe what they believe (talking politics here not matters of faith.) while the liberal just follows someone they like for whatever reason (like the people who voted for Obama because he's black). For liberals there seems to be a right track and they get angry at anyone not on it. They're scary sometimes.

The liberals I know will start attacking you as a person if you start to win a debate. You're stupid if you don't think like they do. Too many of them seem to need others to agree with them as if they cannot stand by their beliefs without support. It's like group think. It was that way in college and it's that way in the teacher's lounge. It's like a hive mind or something. There's a strong need to have their beliefs affirmed.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
LOL..Both bases just follow tracks. The swing voters and the moderates are the thinkers. They hold no allegiance to an artificially created "god" a/k/a political parties.

The wings are more similar than different in NOT thinking.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
LOL..Both bases just follow tracks. The swing voters and the moderates are the thinkers. They hold no allegiance to an artificially created "god" a/k/a political parties.

The wings are more similar than different in NOT thinking.
Well, there you go. I am a registered Republican voter but kind of go my own way or do my own thing much of the time. As it stands it's a lesser of two evils and that's why I vote that way. I'm more conservative in my views, however I don't relate to some of them.

And don't call me Sir!!

I work for a living!

Old 12-13-2014, 06:30 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It would not surprise me given that education is liberal in this country. However that doesn't mean they are smarter.

I learned fast not to talk politics when I was in college. I was outnumbered. I wasn't out thought, however, but there was no shortage of people willing to openly attack me for having a more conservative point of view. I don't discuss politics as a teacher either for the same reason. The amount of anger that liberals have for conservatives is scary at times. The do not like anyone who disagrees with them.

There are a hand full of conservative teachers in my school but we never state our opinion. There is no shortage of liberal teachers who will preach their opinion openly in the staff room. We're all just supposed to agree. Life is easier if I pretend I do.
I've been there. Liberals are tolerant, as long as you agree with them. The anger & rage you mention is spot on. And yes...lay-low on the job else your work environment will become a living hell.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
So Wall Street and the 1% liberal always rave about are liberals. Who would have guessed. The liberals overall are not as successful that is clear by the politics alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies