Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:48 PM

406 posts, read 283,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I've been there. Liberals are tolerant, as long as you agree with them. The anger & rage you mention is spot on. And yes...lay-low on the job else your work environment will become a living hell.
We're all on the same page pretty much in political views and stances. It's blue collar conservatism because we don't belong to a union and are all U.S. Veterans.

People always assume we are the typical liberal voting/leaning union skilled tradesman. It's comical for them to find out we are the complete opposite and if the old man even thought we thought any other way he would bounce us out the door on our asses in less than a minute. No crybabies here and nobody wants to hear about how your knee is thrashed or how you are hurting/bleeding today. Shut up, suck it up and get back to work.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 PM

26,492 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Obama won the Ph.D. vote.

Obama also won the high school drop out vote by a 2 to 1 margin.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Neither.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Obama won the Ph.D. vote.

Obama also won the high school drop out vote by a 2 to 1 margin.
That explains why I didn't vote for him, lol.

The PhD's I know are quite liberal. It's to be expected given they spent so much time in a liberal institution. My niece just finished her PhD after 12 years in college. That's a long time hanging around liberal people. She's as liberal as they get. You just avoid politics around her. She's more than happy to tell you how it should be if you don't.

It'll be interesting to see if she moderates as she works for what she has. She's had someone else paying her way for a lot of years. Now she's the tax payer. I wonder if that will change her POV.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:32 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Studies have shown that the average self-identified liberal is more affluent and has more and higher college degrees than the average conservative. These sorts of statements have often been part of a "Liberals are better educated" headline.

My question is: are liberals really better educated? Or do they just tend to have more university degrees?

I ask this question because I differentiate between schooling and education/real life experience.
Liberals are not only smarter, they are more compassionate and care about others more than conservatives do.

Conservatives are more religious, less educated, and more angry. They are also more insular and more clannish, preferring the company of those in their tribe and are ethnocentric to a degree that they mistrust anyone outside of their clan.

I also find it amusing that conservatives are always ranting about college universities being "hotbeds of liberalism" when most of them have never set foot in a college classroom.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Liberals are not only smarter, they are more compassionate and care about others more than conservatives do.

Conservatives are more religious, less educated, and more angry. They are also more insular and more clannish, preferring the company of those in their tribe and are ethnocentric to a degree that they mistrust anyone outside of their clan.
Given the number of churches around here that care for the indigent, I take issue with this. I drive by a church that hosts free dinners and lunches three days a week on my way home from work. I don't see liberals out doing things like this. Churches tend to be quite compassionate and help others. The church I attend has a food pantry for the poor and takes up an offering for the poor once a month. My sister's church participates in a charity that builds homes for the poor. Every church I know supports missionaries who go to foreign countries and do things like dig wells for villages. Where are you getting that conservatives are not compassionate? They are the ones I see out there doing compassionate work. You need to open your eyes and take the blinders off.

And there is a difference between being educated and being smart. One can be an educated idiot or very smart and uneducated. My step father was one of the smartest people I ever knew. He had a 6th grade education. I've had more than one professor who was an idiot. More education really just means more indoctrination. FTR, I have two masters degrees. I call it as I see it. Engineering school wasn't bad but I attended a Jesuit university. Teacher college was a liberal cesspool.

Speaking of educated idiots....When I was a co-op student I worked for a poster child of educated itiotdom. He had a PhD and asked me to analyze a sample of material he took out of a vat in the plant. I decided to have some fun and labeled every peak on the spectrograph results radioactive. Not only did he not notice but he used the scan as part of a slide presentation to a bunch of other PhD's and NONE of them noticed, lol. Granted I didn't use the obvious radioactive elements but every first year chemistry student should know that every element beyond bismuth is radioactive. This guy was so dumb that he thought that we couldn't have an uncontrolled reaction going on in the plant because we didn't have any reaction vessels. His PhD was in chemistry BTW. This was really sad.

I have met many an educated idiot and many an uneducated genius. Educated does not mean smart. It just means you sat in a classroom and did what you were told and got through the program. You'd have to be kind of dumb to think this is any kind of evidence of intelligence. Educated is just educated and anyone willing to put in the work can get a piece of paper that says they are educated.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-13-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 12-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Given the number of churches around here that care for the indigent, I take issue with this. I drive by a church that hosts free dinners and lunches three days a week on my way home from work. I don't see liberals out doing things like this. Churches tend to be quite compassionate and help others. The church I attend has a food pantry for the poor and takes up an offering for the poor once a month. My sister's church participates in a charity that builds home for the poor.

You need to open your eyes and take the blinders off.
Churches do a lot of good for the poor, and they do a lot of good for society. Not disputing any of that. But to use a biblical analogy for you, churches pass out baskets of fish, liberals teach the poor how to fish.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:

I also find it amusing that conservatives are always ranting about college universities being "hotbeds of liberalism" when most of them have never set foot in a college classroom.
While most of your post is true, there's no evidence to validate the bolded part.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
While most of your post is true, there's no evidence to validate the bolded part.
Are you kidding me? This forum provides copious amounts of evidence. It's literally right in front of you!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:47 PM

26,492 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:

Quote:
Churches do a lot of good for the poor, and they do a lot of good for society. Not disputing any of that. But to use a biblical analogy for you, churches pass out baskets of fish, liberals teach the poor how to fish.
Ummm, are you trolling or are you just that sheltered from reality?

#1 Survey after survey shows that conservatives are happier than liberals, not just in the USA, but worldwide.

#2 Your "clanish" remarks on conservatives can just as easily be said about some liberals with their group think and intolerance of conflicting opinions.

What principles do Democrats have under Obama? They chanted and fainted when Obama blasted Bush for a laundry list -- and now excuse away/ignore Obama out-Bushing Bush on most of the laundry list.

#3 Republican voters are more likely to have a college degree than Democrat voters - so for you to say that most Republicans haven't seen the inside of a college classroom shows your narrow mindedness. Obama wins the high school drop out votes by a major landslide. Colleges do tend to be liberal.

#4 One could argue that Democrats haven't been doing a good job of teaching people to fish -- look at the war on poverty, generational poverty, record numbers on food stamps, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies