U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 14,770,377 times
Reputation: 4573

Advertisements

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon: We'll Do Away With Minimum Wage Pay In New Year - Forbes

Was a minimum wage hike needed to do this? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,646,895 times
Reputation: 2050
Wal-Mart must be a job killing company. And, of course, now a bottle of dish soap will cost $20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:29 PM
 
79,571 posts, read 36,755,171 times
Reputation: 16155
What Wal Mart pays is up to them but I did get a chuckle.

Walmart’s average sale Associate makes $8.81 per hour, according to IBISWorld, an independent market research group. This translates to annual pay of $15,576, based upon Walmart’s full-time status of 34 hours per week1. This is significantly below the 2010 Federal Poverty Level of $22,050 for a family of four. The Wall Street Journal reported that the average Walmart cashier makes just $8.48 an hour, far below the $11.22 national average for all cashiers.

Making Change at Walmart » Fact Sheet – Wages

How many employee's are only making $7.25? Probably very few if any so he pretty much said nothing but people will cheer like they accomplished something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:32 PM
 
2,252 posts, read 2,203,431 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Wal-Mart must be a job killing company. And, of course, now a bottle of dish soap will cost $20.
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,646,895 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Really?
That's what the GOP has been claiming about minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 PM
 
34,137 posts, read 18,574,093 times
Reputation: 15872
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
That's what the GOP has been claiming about minimum wage.
Do you think politicians are a good judge of wages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
24,789 posts, read 12,633,448 times
Reputation: 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What Wal Mart pays is up to them but I did get a chuckle.

Walmart’s average sale Associate makes $8.81 per hour, according to IBISWorld, an independent market research group. This translates to annual pay of $15,576, based upon Walmart’s full-time status of 34 hours per week1. This is significantly below the 2010 Federal Poverty Level of $22,050 for a family of four. The Wall Street Journal reported that the average Walmart cashier makes just $8.48 an hour, far below the $11.22 national average for all cashiers.

Making Change at Walmart » Fact Sheet – Wages

How many employee's are only making $7.25? Probably very few if any so he pretty much said nothing but people will cheer like they accomplished something.

average means nothing. Its median adjusting for time periods and positions that matters.

Your average likely takes into account Department managers who are making 14 and 15 dollars an hour and bringing the average up.

And im sure that average includes people who have worked at wal mart for years and have been given raises or were simply hired when times were better and there for do not make what new people make.


All that being said, they are going to raise the starting pay because at 5.8% population, Wal Marts turnover rate has flat lined, not because people are staying but because they just arent wanting to work at Wal Mart. Wal Mart just opened 3 new location in the last 6 months in my area and none of them have ever even come close to being fully staffed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:06 PM
 
79,571 posts, read 36,755,171 times
Reputation: 16155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
average means nothing. Its median adjusting for time periods and positions that matters.
It doesn't mean "nothing". I asked a question, did it get answered?

Quote:
Your average likely takes into account Department managers who are making 14 and 15 dollars an hour and bringing the average up.
The Wall Street Journal reported that the average Walmart cashier makes just $8.48 an hour

How many make "just $7.25"?


Quote:
All that being said, they are going to raise the starting pay because at 5.8% population, Wal Marts turnover rate has flat lined, not because people are staying but because they just arent wanting to work at Wal Mart. Wal Mart just opened 3 new location in the last 6 months in my area and none of them have ever even come close to being fully staffed.
As has been pointed out many times......no law was needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 14,770,377 times
Reputation: 4573
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As has been pointed out many times......no law was needed.
Yep. See I have a little secret...I don't want anyone to make minimum wage. The lefties don't believe me I'm sure but I don't. I simply think the market can better address this. And, look at this, the economy in at least some areas is allowing people to say no to working at Walmart. (When the economy is worse its better that they're working than not.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
24,789 posts, read 12,633,448 times
Reputation: 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It doesn't mean "nothing". I asked a question, did it get answered?


Quote:
The Wall Street Journal reported that the average Walmart cashier makes just $8.48 an hour

How many make "just $7.25"?
We dont know, how many make that much, your links didnt ask. They just went by average. Some of those cashiers have been at Wal Mart for 10 years, they skew the average, thats why you need a
median.

average = everyone's pay divided by number of people

Median = the amount the majority of workers make.

lets do some actual numbers.

8 cashiers make 7.25, the 9th and 10th have been working there 10 years and makes 15.00

thats an average of 8.80 an hour

but obviously, the median is 7.25.




Quote:
As has been pointed out many times......no law was needed.
which is still a straw man because it took 6 years when it could have happened then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top