Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Not that it's likely to happen within our lifetimes, but for the sake of argument, say in all 50 U.S States and U.S Territories tomorrow everyone (say 18 and up) was free to buy as much Marijuana as they want and use as much as they want without it being at all illegal or anyone getting arrested, what would it mean for the U.S Government? As well as the anti-drug sociopaths in the government?
A bunch of employees standing outside of no smoking government buildings and no smoking private office buildings getting high then coming back inside the building to attempt to work.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
Few million more auto accidents. A stoned society.
A spike in welfare, crime and unemployment.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You make a great argument for ending welfare,unemployment insurance, etc. and making individuals accountable for their own actions.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You make a great argument for ending welfare,unemployment insurance, etc. and making individuals accountable for their own actions.
You want to end welfare for the handicapped because other people choose to use drugs? Some logic you got there.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:03 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
You want to end welfare for the handicapped because other people choose to use drugs? Some logic you got there.
I want to end welfare, period.
And here you are claiming an increase in pot consumption would increase welfare rolls.
Its also a fact you cant stop the consumption of pot no matter how many laws you pass and how much money you throw at it.

Sorry cant have it both way finnster, your logic is demented.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:03 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Increased health care costs due to a rise in obesity rates brought on by the munchies?

Seriously, I think legalizing pot would be positive allowing the FDA to approve studies for possible medical uses of marijuana, increase tax revenue locally and nationally, reduce prison populations for minor drug offenses and reduce violent crime by warring drug cartels.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:12 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Increased health care costs due to a rise in obesity rates brought on by the munchies?

Seriously, I think legalizing pot would be positive allowing the FDA to approve studies for possible medical uses of marijuana, increase tax revenue locally and nationally, reduce prison populations for minor drug offenses and reduce violent crime by warring drug cartels.
Yeah, that.
I have never used the stuff, and don't plan to.
But, I am certainly in favor of stopping the ridiculous, costly, "War On Drugs", and taxing the junk instead.
It just seems to me if we can't stop it we should quit spending billions of dollars fighting it, and MAKE money off it instead!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
Few million more auto accidents.
Good luck finding evidence to support that hypothesis. Auto accident rates have dropped in Colorado, since people who were drinking before are now smoking.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:15 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Marijuana is no different than alcohol. In fact, it's quite likely much safer and has far less long-term health implications.

I live in CO. I don't smoke, but I know a lot of people who do. Some of them are CEO's, doctors, lawyers, judges, and other professionals. In fact, I don't think I know very many people who haven't at least tried it. Legalization here in CO has been wonderful for our economy and crime hasn't spiked, people don't go to work high, and chaos hasn't taken over.

The anti-marijuana crowd simply doesn't have a leg to stand on at this point. And all the propaganda that they are relying on is mostly put out there by the alcohol and pharmaceutical industries, as well as the for-profit prison corporations. The article below talks a little about it.

Who's Really Fighting Legal Marijuana? Big Tobacco, Big Pharma and Big Booze - US News

Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,031 times
Quote:
Why would crime and unemployment spike upwards upon legalization? It essentially creates a fully legitimate multi-billion dollar industry at the stroke of a pen, that means the black market goes away and tons of jobs are created. Plus the government gets a ton of tax money to put back into the community (tens of millions have gone into the school system in Co. so far).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies