Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:46 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times

Advertisements

There is a long history of attacks on Americans going back to the 1700s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 05:21 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Instead of the ignorance and hatemongering towards all Muslims exhibited by some so-called "Christian' posters on this thread because of the actions of a small number of zealous religious extremists, Australians are coming out in support of fellow Australians who fear a backlash from racists.

#illridewithyou: support for Muslim Australians takes off following Sydney siege

A hashtag showing support for Muslim Australians has taken off on social media following a siege at the Lindt cafe in Sydney today.

#illridewithyou is trending worldwide on Twitter, rising by hundreds of tweets per minute since it began this morning

702 ABC Sydney have had calls from Muslim listeners who say they are too scared to ride on public transport at the moment.

The hashtag appears to have come from a tweet from a woman who was riding on a train in Sydney, who noticed a Muslim woman quietly take off her head covering.

The woman said: "No, if you want to wear it, then wear it. I'll walk with you."

Another woman took to Twitter and wrote: "If you reg take the bus b/w Coogee/Martin PL, wear religious attire, &don't feel safe alone: I'll ride with you. @me for schedule."

The woman then suggested "maybe start a hashtag? What's in #illridewithyou?"
Take a look at some of the tweets.

"Dear assailant: you lose. Dear racists exploiting a tense situation: you lose. Dear real Australians: you win! #illridewithyou"

"This is my Australia. Being a Muslim this hashtag is the best thing happened today. I Love You Australia. #illridewithyou"

"The #illridewithyou campaign makes you feel truly proud to be an Australian. Let's greet all Muslim citizens tomorrow with a smile."

"Australians offer to go with Muslim Australians in public places if they fear racist backlash #illridewithyou So much better than bigotry"

"Just thinking of many proud moments Ive had as an Aussie seeing our country band together beyond hate is one of the proudest #illridewithyou"

"Illridewithyou: We will not turn on each other. We will not give terror organisations what they want. http://bit.ly/1wvxGXz"

https://twitter.com/hashtag/illridewithyou?src=hash

65,000 tweets in 3 hours ...and counting.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:31 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
^^

So much better than bigotry.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Instead of the ignorance and hatemongering towards all Muslims exhibited by some so-called "Christian' posters on this thread because of the actions of a small number of zealous religious extremists, Australians are coming out in support of fellow Australians who fear a backlash from racists.

#illridewithyou: support for Muslim Australians takes off following Sydney siege

A hashtag showing support for Muslim Australians has taken off on social media following a siege at the Lindt cafe in Sydney today.

#illridewithyou is trending worldwide on Twitter, rising by hundreds of tweets per minute since it began this morning

702 ABC Sydney have had calls from Muslim listeners who say they are too scared to ride on public transport at the moment.

The hashtag appears to have come from a tweet from a woman who was riding on a train in Sydney, who noticed a Muslim woman quietly take off her head covering.

The woman said: "No, if you want to wear it, then wear it. I'll walk with you."

Another woman took to Twitter and wrote: "If you reg take the bus b/w Coogee/Martin PL, wear religious attire, &don't feel safe alone: I'll ride with you. @me for schedule."

The woman then suggested "maybe start a hashtag? What's in #illridewithyou?"
Take a look at some of the tweets.

"Dear assailant: you lose. Dear racists exploiting a tense situation: you lose. Dear real Australians: you win! #illridewithyou"

"This is my Australia. Being a Muslim this hashtag is the best thing happened today. I Love You Australia. #illridewithyou"

"The #illridewithyou campaign makes you feel truly proud to be an Australian. Let's greet all Muslim citizens tomorrow with a smile."

"Australians offer to go with Muslim Australians in public places if they fear racist backlash #illridewithyou So much better than bigotry"

"Just thinking of many proud moments Ive had as an Aussie seeing our country band together beyond hate is one of the proudest #illridewithyou"

"Illridewithyou: We will not turn on each other. We will not give terror organisations what they want. http://bit.ly/1wvxGXz"

https://twitter.com/hashtag/illridewithyou?src=hash

65,000 tweets in 3 hours ...and counting.
There's a lesson here for all of us and it has nothing whatsoever to do with Islam or any other religious belief being of suspect origins or purpose.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
I think a negotiator ala, SNIPER is in order for this turd.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Oh yes, the wicked way of peace, only religion the Liberals love and defend.
Not true. They also love the religion of Big Government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Obama narrative: 'This is nothing more than another case of workplace violence. The Koch brothers and Fox News are America's real enemies.'

Media narrative: 'We must be cautious not to paint a peaceful religion such as Islam with the broad stroke of terrorism. Meanwhile, the racist Tea Party plans to demonstrate against President Obama's executive amnesty plans.'

Hollywood narrative: 'How dare that backwards middle-America criticize Islam because of one lone-wolf act of terrorism? Back to our regularly scheduled Christian-bashing.'
Pretty much. "But, but, the big bad Christians!" A few in this thread already.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:22 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
This, is not going to end good.

Hopefully one of the Australian military snipers will be able to put a .50 cal round in this guys head when he makes the mistake of walking in front of the window.

He probably has no idea how many sets of crosshairs are sitting in wait for the opportunity.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I live in Sydney and a large majority of Muslims I have encounted I have no problem with and they are polite people.
They're kind of like pit bulls. There's enough bad ones to give the whole group a bad reputation.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:24 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Well the media just said the police are assaulting the situation by going in. That is a problem, as the police are going in for a reason teh media has no idea why.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
George Bush had a lot of gems didnt he.
The terrorist never tried much after 9/11, now look at them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies