Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This thread is absolutely useless without any stats.

If you are saying that white male cops shoot more people than other cops as a percentage weighted by numbers, please show us the data that supports this.

If white male officers assigned to street duty are 25% more likely to shoot someone, it's a question that begs to be answered.

If white male officers assigned to street duty are 3% more likely to shoot someone, it would appear that there is no significant bias.

So, let's see the numbers so we actually know there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
I've reposted below what you're getting from me. In urban areas where unarmed victims have been shot numerous times: 11, 14, 40 (Armou Diallo in NYC) it's always been a Black male shot by White male police officer. Shooting an armed person who poses a threat once or twice and killing them is totally different from shooting an unarmed person numerous times killing them. There's no justifying that. I believe this is the reason why the current anger and backlash against the killings are so high. I do not care about all the other stats and percentages you've mentioned, and will not bothering gathering them or posting them, as police have the right to shoot when their own lives or innocent people's lives are in jeopardy. I've posted this to those who may have insight on the situation and can answer and thereby enlighten the rest of us. Thank you.

"The police force of most urban areas are not made up of 100% White males yet that is always the race and gender of the cop who uses excessive force such as firing their gun 11, 20, even 40 times into the suspect and we have these situations like what is going on now. Why is that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 02:53 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are bad police officers of all colors.

But white cops for what ever reason seem to be involved when the situation/evidence is murky.

You believe the MSM is throwing out bull#*%$, fine, point out the examples of the same thing happening with Latinos or black Cops. When all you do is put forth a claim with nothing to back it up it just looks like you are ranting and race baiting.

The MSM isnt here, You have an opportunity to make your case and you seem to choose not to.
Wouldn't have anything to due with the fact that most cops are white.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Good point. I'm sure that's part of it but the pics of the officers involved in these shooting cases are usually those who look very Caucasian or WASPish in appearance more so than Spanish-speaking Latinos with background heritage as a Mexican, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, or Latin American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This thread is absolutely useless without any stats.

If you are saying that white male cops shoot more people than other cops as a percentage weighted by numbers, please show us the data that supports this.

If white male officers assigned to street duty are 25% more likely to shoot someone, it's a question that begs to be answered.

If white male officers assigned to street duty are 3% more likely to shoot someone, it would appear that there is no significant bias.

So, let's see the numbers so we actually know there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
Still waiting.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
I posted this as a question in another thread but felt it wasn't related to that thread and deserved it's on thread for discussion.

Backstory first: I support police and I think most are good. They have to deal with all types of people (petty criminals, career criminals, murderers, rapists, emotionally disturbed, mentally delayed, insane, insanely violent, idiotic, arrogant, etc.). They never know what to expect when they stop a person.

I believe that a lot of the Black lives that have been lost lately could have been avoided had the person themselves not behaved as they did because it opened the flood gates for a negative response. Once that happens, you can't control how it will end up. There used to be a saying when using common sense was in vogue about 30 years ago, "don't let your mouth write a check that your body can't cash". Basically, don't let your actions end up hurting you much more that you could ever recover from.

My question, which I'd especially like to hear responses from White male cops if any are reading or lurking: The police force of most urban areas are not made up of 100% White males yet that is always the race and gender of the cop who uses excessive force such as firing their gun 11, 20, even 40 times into the suspect and we have these situations like what is going on now. Why is that?

Why it is that Black male cops, Latino cops, Asian cops, and females cops of any race manage to deal with these same criminals, violent or potentially violent Blacks but the end results aren't nearly as tragic even 1/4 the time as it is with White male cops at the helm? To put it another way, why does it seem that all the other police can do it but only White males in law enforcement appear incapable of accessing the situation involving Black males and responding appropriately without the end result becoming so tragic and disruptive to the rest of the country? Thanks in advance for your serious responses.
"Why is it always White Male Police Involved?"

It ISN'T.
The national left media ONLY reports when it is a white male police.

There are many stories out there but, the LSM will NOT report on them.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Who is MSM?
MSM (or Main Stream Media) is a small, vestigial remnant of American news organizations clinging to the behemoth of FOX News and right-wing talk radio.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
When you come here making accusations, the burden is on you to prove them not the other way around. Get to it.
He was the one who made the accusation. So why did you respond to me ???

Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
"seem to be" is not a reasonable standard for asserting something such as white cop violence against black people.

"seem to be" means you have no data, just the anecdotes fueled by the media. The media is just not objective and you are allowing them to shape your opinions instead of looking for data.

The vast majority of police officers are white males. We can discuss and argue whether that is good/bad or other - but that fact alone guarantees that most police action involves a white male officer. 72% of America is white. So wouldn't we expect that about the same percentage of police officers are white?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ents.html?_r=0

But my post isnt about who shoots who. It was about the media coverage of it in comparison with the punishment or lack there of for the officer.

Your Post in no way response to the context of mine because i wasnt even arguing what you claimed.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Wouldn't have anything to due with the fact that most cops are white.
It very well could be, doesnt change the fact that it happens.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
There is no shortage of data & information about the White vs Black police officers.
And yet, in 3 responses to me you have not put forth that data.

Quote:
Of that, I have yet to read anything that supports your claim. Saying "Well CNN makes it seem like it's true" is not a compelling argument.

My claim is not what you believe it to be as evidenced by your previous posts.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 PM

963 posts, read 689,453 times
Whites are 70% of the population. I bet the police are more than 70% white because it's hard to find blacks that don't have a criminal record or care about a serious career - especially a thankless job in law enforcement.

Black cops DO get into shootings, but blacks don't riot over blacks killing blacks -- only if a white cop kills a black criminal.
Apparently you can't embed videos. Just go here

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/u...-media-reacted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies