Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a non Christian president
No 20 14.93%
Yes, (religion would be irrelevant) 83 61.94%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Muslim) 20 14.93%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Atheist) 2 1.49%
Other 9 6.72%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:46 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,909,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What does the constitution have anything to do with being a muslim & vice versa? What about an extremist christian? You can't know by looking or listening if that person is an extremist christian. How is that any different?
Well, for one thing I haven't heard of any fundamentalist extremist Christians bombing or beheading people.
Nor have I heard of any kidnapping young girls.
Nor have I heard of any stoning homosexuals or adulteresses.
IMO, it is pretty sick to make any comparison between fundamentalist Christians and radical Muslims.
I remember many people NOT voting for Kennedy because he was Catholic. Yet, he seemed to keep the separation of his religion and his duties as president with no apparent trouble. Could a radical extremist Muslim do the same?
Obviously, I don't think so!

Old 12-15-2014, 03:58 PM

879 posts, read 2,333,767 times
Don't care about their religion as long as they keep it to themselves. I've always been for keeping church and state separate. I'm even for removing the slogan, "In God we trust" from everything, and returning the national anthem to its original form.

We need a president that will help us become the great nation we once were. We need to invest in science and technology. We need a president that promotes strong education for this country's children. We need to allow our citizens to make their own choices without the government stepping in because of the religious beliefs of others. Of course, we also need a congress that will do the same. A president is nothing without a congress. We've seen this first hand.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:11 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,909,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We've already had several non-Christian presidents: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Fillmore and Taft. They were Unitarians.
The Religious Affiliations of U.S. Presidents | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project
Interesting.
If you google Unitarian, you find this on Wikipedia:
"Unitarianism is a Christian theological movement named for its understanding of God as one person, in direct contrast to Trinitarianism, which defines God as three persons coexisting consubstantially in one being.[1] Unitarians maintain that Jesus is in some sense the "son" of God but that he is not the one God.[2] Unitarianism is also known for the rejection of several other conventional Christian doctrines,[3] including the soteriological doctrines of original sin and predestination,[4][5] and, in more recent history, biblical inerrancy.[6] In J. Gordon Melton's Encyclopedia of American Religions it is classified among "the 'liberal' family of churches".[7]
The Unitarian movement, although not called "Unitarian" initially, began almost simultaneously in Poland-Lithuania and Transylvania in the mid-16th century. Among the adherents were a significant number of Italians.[8][9] In England the first Unitarian Church was established in 1774 on Essex Street, London, where today's British Unitarian headquarters are still located.[10] The first official acceptance of the Unitarian faith on the part of a congregation in America was by King's Chapel in Boston, from where James Freeman began teaching Unitarian doctrine in 1784, and was appointed rector and revised the Prayer Book according to Unitarian doctrines in 1786.[11]"

For more information:
http://johnadamsinfo.com/was-john-adams-a-christian/92/

and here:
http://www.uuwinnipeg.mb.ca/who-we-a...ous-unitarians

Old 12-15-2014, 04:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 18,847,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No. I vote for presidents who use the word of God as their moral compass. I do not want another president who pushes for abortion, drugs, gay marriage or torture.
Whose god?

Old 12-15-2014, 04:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 18,847,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Whether or not they would swear on a Bible has nothing to do with it. I don't care if they swear on Book 7 of Harry Potter!
The question is, can they honestly swear to uphold and defend the Constitution, or would they put their religious beliefs above it?
Since I believe a radical extremist Muslim would put his Sharia Law above the Constitution, I could not vote for one.
Since a radical extremist Muslim would not believe in equal rights for women, I could not vote for him.
Since a radical extremist Muslim would not believe in equal rights for homosexuals, I could not vote for him.
Since a radical extremist Muslim would not believe in equal rights for non-Muslims, I could not vote for him.
Since a radical extremist Muslim would not believe in freedom of religion, I could not vote for him.
Since it has been shown that some radical extremist Muslims think it is perfectly acceptable to kidnap and rape prepubescent non-Muslim girls, and sell them into slavery, I could not vote for him.
Note that I said "HIM" in every statement. Obviously, a radical extremist Muslim would never allow a mere woman to run for public office!
All Muslims are not radical extremists, any more than are all Christians. Those who are are equally dangerous.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:30 PM

76,997 posts, read 47,331,456 times
Quote:
We've already had several non-Christian presidents: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Fillmore and Taft. They were Unitarians.
The Religious Affiliations of U.S. Presidents | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project
John Adams described himself as "a church going animal."

He said "statemen may plan and speculate for Liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand."

Old 12-15-2014, 04:37 PM

76,997 posts, read 47,331,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
And then there were some of our best ones. The ones with no formal affiliation: Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and Andrew Johnson!

Time for another President with 'no formal affiliation'
That would be ok. There are many excellent Christian Churches in US which are non-denominational. I go to one myself.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 PM

963 posts, read 686,577 times
In answer to the original question, NO.

He doesn't have to be a preacher, but he does have to share my BASIC Christian views and principles.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,935,929 times
I voted for Vermin Supreme. I'm pretty sure he makes no claims as to being Christian.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,640,742 times
Quote:
I was taught that being christian entails believing that jesus is the son of god. By that definition, jefferson was not a christian, and, most likely, washington wasn't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies