Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a non Christian president
No 20 14.93%
Yes, (religion would be irrelevant) 83 61.94%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Muslim) 20 14.93%
Yes (so long as he/she wasn't Atheist) 2 1.49%
Other 9 6.72%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:31 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,461,553 times

Advertisements

Article VI, paragraph 3,
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:35 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,782,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
How do you feel that he hasn't shown it and other recent presidents have?
I wasn't making a comparison, but, rather acknowledging that he has made absolutely no claim that I know of ... to be a Believer in Jesus Christ; ... or invoked Christ or Christian standards of truth in any of his public dealings ... with anything. Being a true 'Christian' does not mean that one must be an Evangelist or a preacher, but, otherwise, it is not something that one can hide or will deny. Further, being a true Christian is more than simply meeting the world's standard of 'good or moral' behavior.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,782,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt1959 View Post
And in today's America, such a candidate would never have a hope of even making it to the nomination phase with either mainstream party. And in a post-Christian America, a candidate like that wouldn't be elected.
It certainly has gotten more difficult these days. But, Ronald Regan (among others) didn't do so bad. -- And in spite of the left hating and hammering him incessantly for the past 15-years, neither GW Bush (or Bush Sr.) publicly contradicted their professions of 'Christian' faith (I'm not talking about whether the left liked their policies or approved of their Presidencies). Then there was J. Carter ... and a long list of others).

Like ancient Israel with King Saul (before King David), America will get what it (or the media and special interests) demand for it's leaders. But, that may not prove to be what is best for the country.

Last edited by jghorton; 12-15-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 PM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really?

WHO have you voted for that fits that criteria?

And just WHAT politician, POTUS or not, has ever pushed for abortion?

Or is it just that you're incapable of understanding the word C-H-O-I-C-E?

I understand what a choice is, and I also understand what a E-U-P-H-A-M-I-S-M is.

If you weren`t trying to make abortion seem less like what it really is, you wouldn`t have to use E-U-P-H-A-M-I-S-M-S like "choice" to describe it.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Chuck Baldwin. Ron Paul in 2012, and I support Huckabee now (as I did in 2008).

Any pro-choice candidate is out of the question.

Agreed.

Any candidate for president that doesn`t already understand that government of the people, by the people and for the people has no business deciding who is or is not a person cannot have my support.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,507,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'd actually prefer to.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:09 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,507,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
Article VI, paragraph 3,
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.
And here we have it. It seems some here hate the Constitution.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:12 PM

65 posts, read 66,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I wasn't making a comparison, but, rather acknowledging that he has made absolutely no claim that I know of ... to be a Believer in Jesus Christ; ... or invoked Christ or Christian standards of truth in any of his public dealings ... with anything. Being a true 'Christian' does not mean that one must be an Evangelist or a preacher, but, otherwise, it is not something that one can hide or will deny. Further, being a true Christian is more than simply meeting the world's standard of 'good or moral' behavior.
He has made the claim several times that he was a Christian, especially pre-election. And it got him many votes from those who are of the well-he-said-it-so-he-is camp. There wasn't fruit there to support it then, and there isn't fruit there to support it now. He says he is a Christian, he attempts, (poorly) to use the Bible to justify or garner support for all manner of social agendas, but he also actively supports gay marriage and abortion, both of which mean it isn't really possible for him to know Christ. A Christian would not support either one of those things.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:42 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,843,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt1959 View Post
He has made the claim several times that he was a Christian, especially pre-election. And it got him many votes from those who are of the well-he-said-it-so-he-is camp. There wasn't fruit there to support it then, and there isn't fruit there to support it now. He says he is a Christian, he attempts, (poorly) to use the Bible to justify or garner support for all manner of social agendas, but he also actively supports gay marriage and abortion, both of which mean it isn't really possible for him to know Christ. A Christian would not support either one of those things.
There are a lot of posters here on C-D who claim to be Christian, but there definitely isn't the "fruit there to support it" based on what they post. It seems perfectly logical to this non-Christian to believe that all one has to do is proclaim they are Christian and then they can act however they want and we're supposed to believe them. After all, it's what I see here every single day.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,077,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
This would be under the assumption that you are in general agreement with the candidate's political/policy views.

I'm especially curious about the atheist one.
The last two presidential elections proved that at least half of the voters voted for a non Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies