Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It depends.

Let's say a terrorist has planted a nuclear bomb in an American city. It will go off in one hour. A million people will die. You capture the terrorist. He knows where it is. He's not talking. If you have the slightest belief that hanging this man by his thumbs, or some other method of torture, will get you the information to save a million people, are you justified in doing so? Not only is it permissible; it is a moral duty.

Anybody who say no is just as bad as a terrorist.
And if you don't believe that hanging this man by his thumbs will get you the information. Should you do it just because he's a bad guy and in some twisted way it makes you feel good to inflict pain on him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:45 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And if you don't believe that hanging this man by his thumbs will get you the information. Should you do it just because he's a bad guy and in some twisted way it makes you feel good to inflict pain on him?
If I don't believe that hanging this man by his thumbs will get me the information, I will not do that to him, period.

and I don't feel guilty inflicting pain on a terrorist. Do you?

Old 12-15-2014, 12:49 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Many right-wingers support gross human rights violations because they makes them feel better.
Many left-wingers support gross human rights violations because they makes them feel better.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
If I don't believe that hanging this man by his thumbs will get me the information, I will not do that to him, period.

and I don't feel guilty inflicting pain on a terrorist. Do you?
I've never inflicted pain on a terrorist, so I can't say what I would feel. At the least, I could not consider the terrorist to be not human. Even Charles Manson is a human being. Damaged, though. But I don't think I'd want to add to the damage.

I do think most terrorists are very committed to their causes. And that level of commitment should allow a terrorist to hold out against any torture for an hour if he's planted a bomb. And if the time frame is ten years, I think we can find better ways to get the information we want than torture.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:54 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
I've never inflicted pain on a terrorist, so I can't say what I would feel. At the least, I could not consider the terrorist to be not human. Even Charles Manson is a human being. Damaged, though. But I don't think I'd want to add to the damage.

I do think most terrorists are very committed to their causes. And that level of commitment should allow a terrorist to hold out against any torture for an hour if he's planted a bomb. And if the time frame is ten years, I think we can find better ways to get the information we want than torture.
and I have never inflicted pain on ANYBODY, but I still would not feel guilty to inflict pain on a terrorist if I had to be the one doing it. I am just so glad that I don't have to.

Somebody have to make the sacrifices, I am glad I don't need to. So I don't criticize those who have to use interrogation techniques on these animals. Criticizing them is unfair and unjustified to me.

again,

"There is much to admire in those who refuse on principle ever to take up arms (or, in this case, torture) under any conditions. One should be grateful for the saintly among us. And one should be vigilant that they not get to make the decisions upon which the lives of others depend."

—Charles Krauthammer

Old 12-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I could never condone torture. It's so unnecessary. And so wrong.
How do you define torture?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
and I have never inflicted pain on ANYBODY, but I still would not feel guilty to inflict pain on a terrorist if I had to be the one doing it. I am just so glad that I don't have to.

Somebody have to make the sacrifices, I am glad I don't need to. So I don't criticize those who have to use interrogation techniques on these animals. Criticizing them is unfair and unjustified to me.
The problem is that we don't HAVE TO USE these interrogation techniques on these men. There isn't any proof that these techniques are effective. And there is a cost to using these techniques. Not only does it undermine the humanitarian message we want to spread to the rest of the world, but the people we task with torture are damaged by that. Just like if I forced you to dismember a living kitten. You'd have to live with that horror the rest of your life. Our soldiers that are asked to torture have to live with this, too. While you may call it a sacrifice on their parts, I think about the scars that they might carry with them. Needlessly.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I'd never condone torture.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The infliction of pain and suffering to the point that a person thinks they might die, or that they suffer long-term, even permanent, physical and/or mental damage.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:14 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Many left-wingers support gross human rights violations because they makes them feel better.
You're just mad because the way right-wingers have been scared into supporting torture disgusts me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies